1978 Dodge 4x4 camper van

350outrage

Adventurer
Hey, man, one more thought for you. I kind of agree with what Keyblazer said earlier in the thread, i.e., that if you're going to put a bunch of money into the van, I'd go with a repaint first. It really looked pretty sharp in its original white paint. If you wanted something "wild" , "rad", or "bad", how about repainting it in that light tan desert camo like the US soldiers' Desert uniforms? Just looking at the places you've been using it, I think this would be KILLER!

BTW, I think those old Dodge unibodies have a really great look! I used to have a SWB model ('87?), which was pretty rare. They phased it out when the minivans were introduced by Chrysler. Only thing I don't miss abt it is the carburetor! You got a pretty rare bird there, and if you get rid of it, you won't "replace" it easily or cheaply.

Flat Black: no. So hot and the van doesn't need any more "gravitas". It's got plenty of intimidating/cool factor from its size and age. Lighter color w/b so much more functional and charming!

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
The website linked to is that of a litigation and arbitration capital investment firm, Vannin Capital. As for why, I dunno. That's a question for scarey.

Last edited:

Vobile

Observer
You are right again Dave. I haven't thought about flat black since 2011 lol. And desert tan or any military color will work wonders for this van. I actually have a recipe for an inexpensive olive drab.. and then I recently saw a jeep painted a snow camo. Light colors of grey white and blacks in a camouflage pattern. Looked cool. Though about the van with that scheme...

350outrage

Adventurer
You are right again Dave. I haven't thought about flat black since 2011 lol. And desert tan or any military color will work wonders for this van. I actually have a recipe for an inexpensive olive drab.. and then I recently saw a jeep painted a snow camo. Light colors of grey white and blacks in a camouflage pattern. Looked cool. Though about the van with that scheme...

Yes, cool.

Vobile

Observer
Well I still have the van. We have been to death valley , jaw bone, Ballarat, cal city, husky monument, big bear, Stoddard wells, and probably more places since I last posted.. she still fires right up and gets us back home .

Vobile

Observer
Thinking about selling my van. i am new, Please tell me what you think its worth. I will upload more pics as i find them.

A little info off the top of my head....... 1978 dodge 3500 ? 4x4 conversion by pathfinder ? 400ci big block v8 . around 70,000 mi. runs strong. full rv type conversion by explorer motorhomes Frank industries ? 30 gallon fresh water tank grey water same ? shower bath toilet combo, Propane stove, Propane fridge, hot water heater, sink, rear bed fits me and wife I am 5' 11" . table that removes for another small bed. full surround sound and flat screen tv. tv swivels out so you can watch it from bed or from front seats table area. 4000 watt inverter. NO onboard generator. (I always brought one with the trailer). tows great. It has ajustable firestone air bags in the rear to level the van when parked or change the ride hight when towing. NO onboard compressor ( I used a small twin tank compressor ran off the generator to adjust the air bags and tire pressure after airing down.) two six volt golf cart batterys to run the inverter. brand new 17 inch moto metal rims with new 32 inch firestone mud terrains 10 ply !!!. two trips to glamis on rims and tires about 600 miles. big industrial ladder rack with 60 inch hilft jack. currently in the process of sandblasting all old paint off van and primering the bare metal, about half way done , but broke my ha nd at work so project is on hold for now. I will think of more stuff and update this post. I am also looking for more pics.

phonepics262.jpg

phonepics254.jpg

phonepics261.jpg

phonepics253.jpg

phonepics260.jpg

phonepics252.jpg

phonepics259.jpg

phonepics251.jpg

phonepics258.jpg

phonepics250.jpg

phonepics257.jpg

phonepics249.jpg

phonepics264.jpg

phonepics256.jpg

phonepics263.jpg

phonepics255.jpg

Dang almost 6 years since I started this thread. Never really wanted to sell the van, and I still don't, but I might be open to offers at this point in our life. . I may just go ahead and post it in the for sale section of the forum. 😪😪

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94