1978 Dodge 4x4 camper van

Vobile

Observer
Thinking about selling my van. i am new, Please tell me what you think its worth. I will upload more pics as i find them.

A little info off the top of my head....... 1978 dodge 3500 ? 4x4 conversion by pathfinder ? 400ci big block v8 . around 70,000 mi. runs strong. full rv type conversion by explorer motorhomes Frank industries ? 30 gallon fresh water tank grey water same ? shower bath toilet combo, Propane stove, Propane fridge, hot water heater, sink, rear bed fits me and wife I am 5' 11" . table that removes for another small bed. full surround sound and flat screen tv. tv swivels out so you can watch it from bed or from front seats table area. 4000 watt inverter. NO onboard generator. (I always brought one with the trailer). tows great. It has ajustable firestone air bags in the rear to level the van when parked or change the ride hight when towing. NO onboard compressor ( I used a small twin tank compressor ran off the generator to adjust the air bags and tire pressure after airing down.) two six volt golf cart batterys to run the inverter. brand new 17 inch moto metal rims with new 32 inch firestone mud terrains 10 ply !!!. two trips to glamis on rims and tires about 600 miles. big industrial ladder rack with 60 inch hilft jack. currently in the process of sandblasting all old paint off van and primering the bare metal, about half way done , but broke my ha nd at work so project is on hold for now. I will think of more stuff and update this post. I am also looking for more pics.

phonepics262.jpg

phonepics254.jpg

phonepics261.jpg

phonepics253.jpg

phonepics260.jpg

phonepics252.jpg

phonepics259.jpg

phonepics251.jpg

phonepics258.jpg

phonepics250.jpg

phonepics257.jpg

phonepics249.jpg

phonepics264.jpg

phonepics256.jpg

phonepics263.jpg

phonepics255.jpg

Gvan

Observer
If it is a Pathfinder 4x4 van they had axles made to specs for the front and just used the stock 1 ton rear axles with spacer blocks.

I like the slightly raised roof thats rare! There is a two wheel drive Dodge around here that has one of those. That would be a really nice van with a little work.

Vobile

Observer
I beleive the axles are dana 44 up front and dana 60 for the rear. full time 4 wheel drive, high range, high lock, low range, low lock... I wish I knew the gear ratio.. I cant seem to find any interior pics and my camera is broken. so I might take some with my phone camera when I get a chance.....

If any one knows more info on the pathfinder conversions, I would love to learn more about it. also I have read somewhere that you can easily stroke the 400 big block to 451 using 440 parts.... Tourqe monster and very efficient... ????

anyone ?? anyone ??

Vobile

Observer
Wow Thanks.... I will check out your bigb, looks frikin cool !!!! I found some pics we took over the last 3 years or so... When I get a chance I will post new pics of all the good stuff.....

044.jpg

019.jpg

014.jpg

009.jpg

043.jpg

018.jpg

013.jpg

047.jpg

017.jpg

012.jpg

046.jpg

016.jpg

011.jpg

045.jpg

020.jpg

015.jpg

010.jpg

Keyblazer

Adventurer
Very cool!

Here is my take.
Go look at my BigB thread and follow the link in my very first post to my Chevy Pickup Wilderness Camper.
Look at my $100 paint job.

There is a new method now.
Look at this and read the reviews.
http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-spray-gun-kit-44677.html

Sand off the peeling paint and using Rustoleum and mineral spirits, repaint it.
It will then look great.

As far as gas costs go...
Remember, this is a Hotel on wheels. yes, it might do 10mpg on a good day, but there is no $100 to $300 Hotel bill every night.

Vobile

Observer
Very cool!

Here is my take.
Go look at my BigB thread and follow the link in my very first post to my Chevy Pickup Wilderness Camper.
Look at my $100 paint job.

There is a new method now.
Look at this and read the reviews.
http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-spray-gun-kit-44677.html

Sand off the peeling paint and using Rustoleum and mineral spirits, repaint it.
It will then look great.

As far as gas costs go...
Remember, this is a Hotel on wheels. yes, it might do 10mpg on a good day, but there is no $100 to $300 Hotel bill every night.

Haha. take a close look at the dark grey paint thats chipping off. yup you guessed it... Rustolium professional + mineral spirits... the vobile did not like it at all... it shed most of it.

Vobile

Observer
Rustolium paint job attempt...

Here are some pics of my attempt to paint the van way back in 2007:clapsmile

mostuff42007145.jpg

mostuff42007139.jpg

mostuff42007136.jpg

mostuff42007133.jpg

mostuff42007131.jpg

mostuff42007126.jpg

Vobile

Observer
not so professional

I know mabey I should have sanded it better.... Im not blaming rustolium.....

mostuff42007135.jpg

Keyblazer

Adventurer
All I did was wipe it down with Mineral spirits... and sanded here and there.
I used Mineral spirits for my solvent... Maybe the Acetone did something to the underlayer?
Only place mine has peeled is around the gas cap, and thats cos the dang truck is a pig to fill with these modern pumps... it blows back lots!

Vobile

Observer
I had mineral spirits there also. I used the mineral spirits to thin the paint and the acetone to clean up the gun and hands and everything else in a 4 or 5 foot radius.... I have a new gun now and I am thinkin bout going to omaha and get good paint and try it again. I might just go with a flat black. IDK.

Thanks 4 the advice though. seeing your bigb thread makes me want to keep it and continue to fix er up....... we'll seeeee......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier