It depends on many factors. Some of them being:
-What is vehicles purpose?
-Where will it be driven?
-Towing anything?
-How much power do you have?
-How much does MPG matter?
-Can you afford to re-gear?
-Can you afford the larger tires?

My dodge has 40x15.5R20s on it, and they are to large for my trucks current usage. Getting into the cost factor, the tires are $620 each, and rims are around $350 each. So buying two spare tires driving to Alaska really really hurts. My MPG dropped from 17 to 14 with the 8" lift and tires. And no, I havent re-geared yet as I dont have the money or decided on tire size. I had to do cross-over steering, lengthen my drivelines, re-enforce my steering box and move it, and modify my front cross-member. Not to mention lift the truck 8". Now the truck cant tow very well up hills due to the larger tire size without re-gearing, and sheer weight. Each tire/rim combo weighs over 125 lbs!

I think a tire in a 35-37" range will work best for me. The tire weight is cut in half for one! The cost is also dramatically less. Finding a spare tire in the middle of no-where is easy for 35s, and very very hard for 40s. 35s allow me to go 90% of the places I can with the 40s, and get better mileage to and from there.:wings:

So it all depends on what you are willing to spend, and what your plans are.

KMV77

Im lifting my daily driver tahoe this summer. 3" in front and 2" in the rear. I dont plan on going over 33". If you want to go big, you can keep the cog down by cutting the fenders to fit the tires so you dont have to do a super tall lift, then you'll be less tippy.
Kevin

az_eric

Im going to be getting a suburban 87-91 flavor. I want to be able to go wheeling with all my buddies who have rock cralwers obviously not to the extreme. But I really want to just get out and explore. May possibly tow an off road trailer haven't decided yet. No problem with gears as I'm going to swap in 1 ton axles eventually. Just trying to figure out a good size to get over most obstacles and be easy to find if an emergency comes. Was thinking 35-37's but cant get over how cool it would be to have 40's or bigger lol.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I am running BFG allterain 37´on 15 inch rims. All 4 tires on rims cost me $1100 Canadian bucks. I am happy with them as they are classified as a snow tire. I have 6 inches of lift on a 78 Chevy puick-up.:ylsmoke:

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
it really all depends.

on my truck: 37's
on a stock Wrangler: 35's
on a stretched wrangler: 42's
on a 3500 Ram: 40's
on a M35A2: 56's

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
This big...

P1010426.jpg

These are 38.5 true height. If I could find more I would run them again, but they are hard to find in surplus these days.

Since this is a fullsize forum. I would say 37x12.5x17 would be about perfect for most 3/4-1ton rigs IF you can get them on with MINIMAL lift. My truck is stock height other than leveling front springs. I had to do a LOT of fender work to make it happen, but trucks like the 03-07 dodge trucks make it EASY with factory sheet metal. A lot of Fords have 'glass fenders that have larger openings from the baja/desert/prerunner scene. GM trucks are mostly the same, lots of after market 'glass.

az_eric

I think im gonna go with 35 at first. I'm sticking with about 4 inches of lift those things are already top heavy. Now just to find one that I want.

TKSC01

Adventurer
I think im gonna go with 35 at first. I'm sticking with about 4 inches of lift those things are already top heavy. Now just to find one that I want.

Take into consideration what you will be doing with the truck. I used to live in Mesa AZ and saw little to no mud. So a swamper wasnt neccessary, A solid all terrain rides much better then a mud and will improve your experiece in the sand/dirt/silt I often encountered in AZ. Just a thought.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
my '83 'burb has 33.3" with no lift, and is great for normal driving, towing, and exploring trails, etc- not a wheeler though. I wanted 35s but didn't want the compromises in lift, etc- even have the H2 wheels ready to go...
On my PW I immediately went to 35s from the stock 33s and it was great- 400hp and 4.56s. Then I went to 37s and I am in the sweet spot for versatility- still tows fine, rides great and wheels decently. However, I also had to change out the entire steerng and links to Thuren, and add ram assist to compensate, and am sitting at the dealer now getting front wheel bearings replaced. Next comes new hubs...
Point being, 35 and under tend to be pretty forgiving. 35 and over needs a good bit of other upgrades to be reliable long term. Just budget for it and be aware- it sure looks good though :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles