2011 season bike purchase/build

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Now that I have time to ride, I am looking for a decent mountain bike. It looks like most of the bikes in this thread are way beyond my means. I was looking on-line at the Mongoose 2011 Tyax Sport. It's just under $500. Any good? Does anyone have a suggestion for a bike for under $500? It will spend most of it's time on-road but I might branch out and take it with me on my desert trips.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Now that I have time to ride, I am looking for a decent mountain bike. It looks like most of the bikes in this thread are way beyond my means. I was looking on-line at the Mongoose 2011 Tyax Sport. It's just under $500. Any good? Does anyone have a suggestion for a bike for under $500? It will spend most of it's time on-road but I might branch out and take it with me on my desert trips.

I'd highly suggest either looking on craigslist for a decent used bike or checking out Jensonusa.com for a good deal on new. If its not going to be used that much but you want something that will last to me those are your best options.

Jenson has a 2011 SE Stout for $580 right now with free shipping. The reviews for these as an entry level 29er have been great, I was going to pick one up myself but had a little more in the budget than you do and ended up finding something else used on craigslist. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI265L03-Se+Bikes+Stout+29Er+Bike+11.aspx

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Thanks for the suggestion. I would like something with multiple gears though. I also do plan on using the bike a lot, I just don't have the budget to buy a bike over $500.

I'd highly suggest either looking on craigslist for a decent used bike or checking out Jensonusa.com for a good deal on new. If its not going to be used that much but you want something that will last to me those are your best options.

Jenson has a 2011 SE Stout for $580 right now with free shipping. The reviews for these as an entry level 29er have been great, I was going to pick one up myself but had a little more in the budget than you do and ended up finding something else used on craigslist. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI265L03-Se+Bikes+Stout+29Er+Bike+11.aspx

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Gears??? :confused:

Then take a look at the Jamis bikes on Jenson. A bit more than $500 but a friend of mine picked up one of those (not sure the model) and he has been happy with it.

Cackalak Han

Explorer

That thing's gotta weigh at least 40lbs. And if you do any actual mountain biking, those components won't last too long.

I'd look into getting used bike, like weezie said. You can find some good deals at mtbr, craigslist or eBay. I see older Stumpjumpers (02-05?)/Rockhoppers, Trek 6000-8000, etc. going for under $500. Any of those will be lighter and stronger than that Mongoose.

I've even got an olllld 93 Rockhopper (steel frame) that I occasionally take on trails. I think I bought it for something like $40. It's one of my favorite bikes. Just waiting for the drivetrain to fail, so I can make it a single speed. But I don't think that will happen for a while.

alexfm

Explorer
Got the frame on Thurs. and built it up today.

IMG_1043.jpg

What frame is that? I really like the geometry of it.

d1sc0ver

Adventurer
I'm going to build up a 2006 medium Santa Cruz Heckler over the next few weeks. I've got an '08 Fox 36 TALAS on the way. Purchased both from another forum member.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior