New and Improved Camper Box Build - Ver 2.0

stockrex

HB,
I am new to the forum, I am quite intrigued by how you sealed the edges with epoxy.

I have some newbie questions:
1. How are the edge sealed, just a thick layer of epoxy?
2. I see you had screws to hold them together and then you took them off, how has the edges holding up?
3. Last one, what are those cool stands holding up the camper going into the brackets?

Good Luck on your sale.
Shibs
Michigan

Heifer Boy

Adventurer
Hi Shibs,

Welcome to the forum. If you are like anyone else who finds it you are going to be spending a LOT of time here.

1. Just plain epoxy. When you glue a joint using epoxy it's best to pre-wet the joint with a normal mix of epoxy and before it dries, glue it together with a thickened mix. This seals the timber and ensures the bond is tight and not starved of epoxy by the wood sucking all the moisture out of it.

2. The screws were just to hold it together until the epoxy set up and would add nothing to the strength of the joint if left in there. Smaller stuff can just be clamped and often just masking tape is used to hold it together but my camper was a bit bigger so I pre-drilled and dry screwed everything with small 6g screws with a Teflon coating and then soft screwed it together once the epoxy was on. Unlike glue, you can be fairly sloppy (I tried not to be) with an epoxy joint because it fills gaps exceptionally well and is super strong. I just removed the screws afterwards and sanded and routered the corners to tidy up. If you leave a screw or a brad nail or anything in the joint then it can attract moisture (condensation) and rust out from the inside causing the timber to rot. Epoxy is well strong enough to hold up on it's own and I reinforced the inside corners with a fillet and wrapped the box in fibreglass afterwards anyway. I certainly overbuild this so it's not going anywhere!! This is all wooden boat building techniques and make for an extremely strong but lightweight structure. I'd build this way lighter next time around after what I have learned but this camper is indestructible.

3. They are just a jacking system I designed to fit the camper so I could get my truck in and out from under it. Because the camper fitted into a tub and not on a flatbed the brackets and jack extensions were custom.

No bites on the sale yet at any price. It's looking more likely the camper is destined for the scrap pile...

Thanks for looking.

stockrex

HB,
I am going to make a truck bed lid using the 1 layer of fiberglass cloth with resin. I will use this for a modular quick connect truck camper.

So using stainless steel screws is a no no also?

Sorry to hear about the fate of the camper :-(

Heifer Boy

Adventurer
A modular quick connect camper. I like the sound of that!! Do you have any plans yet? Start a build thread.

Stainless steel is better than not because obviously it doesn't rust and every nut, bolt and screw used to hold other things to my camper is stainless. But it's still metal and therefore gets condensation on it which can lead to rot unless the hole it's in is coated in epoxy first. And I've got maybe 20 in mine whereas to screw every joint I would have used many 100's just to hold the box together. No worth it or needed. And just think of all those old caravans and campers with 'glued and stapled' frames that are all completely rotted out and fall apart like matchsticks if you remove the panel holding it all together. And that's because of the metal nails and screws completely rusted and the wood all rotted out. What a mess.

Big wooden power boats and yachts need some kind of fasteners because of the construction methods required to build a boat to handle the forces evolved in pounding across the ocean or under full sail. They also weigh a whole lot more than any camper ever will and use some big solid timbers in there construction, not lightweight plywood like our campers. So they still use silicon bronze nails and screws and now composite brad nail fasteners (http://raptornails.com/) that can be cut, sanded and stained and never rust. I've never looked but I would imagine these aren't cheap but it is still the building following the traditional methods. Many, many more boats are built without any fasteners at all and where not even building boats. Any camper we are likely to build would never require that kind of construction and more closely aligns with the small boat and canoe/kayak style of building like 'stitch and glue'. The strength is gained by creating a lightweight torsion box using thin materials and stiffness through sandwich composite construction (ie epoxy and glass over plywood). The famous teardrop build mantra is 'Think like an airplane, not a house!'

In my opinion, no fasteners, no condensation, no rot. I've beaten mine up over all kinds of roads, tracks and trails, I've dropped it fully loaded on the ground once (probably should say that if I'm trying to sell it) and it hasn't budged an inch. Solid as a rock but only 240kgs (530lbs) dry. Fasteners simply aren't needed to hold an epoxy built camper together.

stockrex

HB, that makes sense, I saw a link to a thread here (can't find it anymore) where they discussed canoes beings build from resin over some kind of cloth and it was strong enough to stand on out of the water.

I like the concept of light but strong, that is what I am aiming for, as I have inflamation on one elbow joint that is not getting better.

No plans for the modular camper yet. I figured out I need to study and understand light fiberglass or carbon fiber structures and other building methods.

I got my inspiration from a fellow Michigan outdoors man on youtube :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsegKBvS3ho

I have a full size chevy pickup and a fwc grandby, but I am looking for something even lighter that I can use to sleep while I am out fishing.

I am going to start a new thread tonight, pls be gentle this is my first attempt at building anything :)

Heifer Boy

Adventurer
Well the camper is going to live on!!! I sold it on the weekend and the new owner came and picked it up yesterday. The final price drop was the trigger and couple of people came for a look and now it will be heading up to QLD to live. I'm super happy I didn't have to chop it up and that someone else will get to enjoy it as much as I did. Great news. :wings:

Thanks again to everyone who took an interest in my build and all the feedback and ideas that were thrown around. I get a huge amount of knowledge, information and entertainment from the Expo Portal so I glad I was able to give a little back. I hope it was of help to someone.

So that give me a bit of cash to get on with my next project which has been sitting in the wings for a while now. Keep tuned and I'll post a new thread once I get going. Can't wait...

HB

Heifer Boy

Adventurer
What reason is there to remove the screws after filleting?

What will happen if you leave the screws in place?
Wow! The wonders of the internet. 5 years on from selling this and people are still reading the story. Fantastic and I hope it is still helpful or inspiring.

There are a number of reasons to remove the screws.

1. They are simply not necessary for the strength of the joint. Because of this I never planned their placement or drove them home neatly. They were simply to hold the joint in place while the glue set.
2. Leaving them in means they could rust, swell or just wiggle in the joint. All of these could open up a gap to let water in to rot the pkywood. Better to fill all the gaps with epoxy and encapsulate the plywood properly. Remember the plywood is only the substrate of the composite panel I was making.
3. I could use the screws again on another project.

Bottom line is the glue is the strength in the joint, not the screws. And honestly if I was making it today I would use a Brad nailer instead. Much faster and easier and how I do it now.

I didn't have one then so used screws.

HB

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Heifer Boy

Adventurer
No. It would be impossible to do so and they are so small they won't have the negative issues a screw might have.

HB

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94