Expedition build platform

jmjnewbold

I'm new to off-roading, but I know what I would like to do. I am looking to build an expedition type vehicle with the capability to run trails like Rubicon and other legendary trails. Important factors to me are 1. the ability to comfortably seat my family of four. 2. Good aftermarket support. 3. Decent gas mileage. I have heard many good things about the toyota Fzj80, but with a straight six gas mileage stinks. If there is a vehicle out there with all the positives of the 80, but with mileage in the low 20's that would be awesome.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
A 4 door JK or a late model Cherokee XJ would be good candidiates.

Or even a Grand Cherokee. Depends a lot on your budget and mechanical skills.

XJ's and Grand Cherokees can be built into very capable off road rigs and still have nice road manners. The later models ('97-'00) get around 20'ish on the highway.

For a rig ready to roll, a Rubicon can't be beat.

In the US, Jeep has great aftermarket support.

Can ya tell I'm a Jeep guy??:coffeedrink:

jmjnewbold

If choosing between an XJ and a grand cherokee which would be more comfortable for long trips, say from Alaska to CA? Also which grand cherokee would you recommend WJ, ZJ...? Would you go with a v-6 or v-8 grand cherokee?

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
If choosing between an XJ and a grand cherokee which would be more comfortable for long trips, say from Alaska to CA? Also which grand cherokee would you recommend WJ, ZJ...? Would you go with a v-6 or v-8 grand cherokee?

Depends on who's riding in the back seat:snorkel:

If you have younger kids, the XJ is fine. The Grands have a bit more room in the back seat/easier to get in the door.

Biggest difference is in the suspension, the XJ has leaves rear/coils front, and the ZJ/WJ are coils front and rear.

Both make excellent rigs for what you are wanting to do.

As far as engine, the 4.0L inline six is a great motor, but the few guys I know with V-8's in thier Grands, love them.

Either will handle a small lift (4-6") and 33" tires, which is plenty for most trails, and will still maintain nice road manners.

A few of the guys in my club have run Moab with 3" lift and 31" tires on their XJ's. I believe that 'seat time' is the best mod a person can do!

jmjnewbold

Depends on who's riding in the back seat:snorkel:

If you have younger kids, the XJ is fine. The Grands have a bit more room in the back seat/easier to get in the door.

Biggest difference is in the suspension, the XJ has leaves rear/coils front, and the ZJ/WJ are coils front and rear.

Both make excellent rigs for what you are wanting to do.

As far as engine, the 4.0L inline six is a great motor, but the few guys I know with V-8's in thier Grands, love them.

Either will handle a small lift (4-6") and 33" tires, which is plenty for most trails, and will still maintain nice road manners.

A few of the guys in my club have run Moab with 3" lift and 31" tires on their XJ's. I believe that 'seat time' is the best mod a person can do!

I have young children, but also would like to take my brothers and sisters out on the trail as well. Are coils better than leafs when it comes to suspension?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94