Subaru Forester on the White Rim Road: Insanity or Doable?

Redrock

Observer
So I'm contemplating buying a new car, and I keep coming back to the current-gen Subaru Forester as the best possible combination of on-road efficiency and dynamics (for the 95% of my life I drive on normal roads in town) and rough-road capability for the 5% we all know and love here. Typically, I drive mostly on unimproved roads and fire trails.

However, I've had the desire to drive the White Rim Road in Utah for a while now. I've heard conflicting things about that road's level of challenge, so I ask: would a Subaru Forester, probably outfitted with some King Springs, some upgraded tires and some Primitive Racing skidplates, be up to the challenge?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I would err on the side of caution and say no. While I'm sure it can and know it has been done, there are likely as many times that it was attempted with ill results to either the owner of the car or others traveling the route that had to detour to provide assistance or recovery. For example a freak summer rainstorm can leave the climbs out of the trail difficult for even high clearance 4x4's with aggressive tires, add low clearance and mild tires and you might be stuck on the trail for an extra couple of nights while things dry out.

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
How big is the winch you are going to take?
You're going to need a big one to go with a full belly skid plate.

My Rig on White Rim Trail at the beginning, just off the pavement!
Yee Haw!
RodeoWheelie.jpg

And for the record, I'll insert my Disclaimer here!
(We were just screwing around for the camera for this picture. We scooted the tool boxes and everything heavy to the rear of the truck to get the weight as far back as possible, so it would lift the front tires easier. We scooted everything back to the center shortly after this; once we were sure we had the picture I wanted. I almost over did it! Notice the dust at the trailer hitch. It kept me from flipping over backwards. That would have been disastrous as there was a 250 foot drop off cliff to the pavement below, not 20 feet behind me.)

White Rim Trial in the middle somewhere.
RodeoMoab1.jpg

I have a boat load of pictures of mine and other people vehicles on that Trail.

The tires on my Rodeo are 35" if you want a reference.
I once had to help turn back over Land Cruisers on smaller tires that didn't hit the drop offs just right coming down and went topsy turvey! The worst part was having to dig his little kids out from the back end os the flipped LC.
Having a flexi suspension is a big advantage. And being able to air down!
There are other many other trails in Moab you could probably do in a Forrester that don't have those big steps and ledges.
Maybe if you did it backwards the Forrester might make it. I can't remember the back side off the top of my head right now. If you try it, make sure you have a Moab Veteran with you in a better set up rig to help you through it.
Never wheel anything that extreme alone. It's not worth it! People die doing this hobby!

I've seen guy do them on motorcycles and ATV's but they have short wheel bases and momentum in their favor. There are some go around in some place, but IIRC they are real tight and still a challenge for the short wheel base ATV's. The motorcycle guys fly past, but they airborne a lot! :Wow1:

But, opinions are like “A” holes, everybody's got one!

Moab is one of my favorite places to wheel. A great place to play!

And No that is not your every day Isuzu Rodeo. It's been highly modified!
Below is a small list of the mods in my Expedition Rodeo.

gahi

Adventurer
Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
You can do nearly all of it with the Forester IN DRY WEATHER. The Hodgebacks might be the end of the route for you, but you will have a great time getting there. Either way, the road is only an out and back right now, so go as far as you feel comfortable and then exit via Potash.

Go for it :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94