Larry's 1978 K10

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Finally wrapping up the latest project upgrades just two weeks shy of Desert Trip 2017 departure date. Between work, work travel, family stuff and waiting on parts (looking at you ARB and Bilstein!) this project seems to have taken forever leaving me very little validation time to sort out any issues before we leave. Fortunately, we have one weekend to do a validation run to the mountains (next weekend).

Here is how things turned out….

So once the rear was all finished up I moved to the front to clean up the frame for the Bilstein 7100’s. While doing so I noticed the steering gear was starting to leak out of the pitman shaft so I pulled it to do a warranty exchange at Napa. Then, once I got the box off and started stripping the frame I found a typical small crack near the steering gear. Fortunately, the crack was very small but I did the full-on frame kit from ORD anyway (its had the ORD strg brace for 10+ years already). I’m not sure how fresh this crack is…it could have been there a long time. Probably wouldn’t have noticed it until I used paint stripper on the frame
34887993056_64063423b9_c.jpg

We followed the instructions and only welded the areas the instructions state then used auto body seam sealer around the plate to seal it to the frame to keep grime from settling in between the plate and frame
34118087053_d986446d98_c.jpg

Also treated it to a Borgeson Steering shaft since it was a good time to do so
34065136554_b58e1c6606_c.jpg

34867672876_c2a42da5a4_c.jpg

And the final results…
34744852912_d8e7396805_c.jpg

34867713486_fd0c849987_c.jpg

34097234253_190a25ed79_c.jpg

34908191055_8336e31ce6_c.jpg

Since the rear was looking pretty the front got a fresh paint job too.
34520881960_874b2f6a42_c.jpg

34520894670_fc57c1afe5_c.jpg

Air supply…

So this thing really pissed me off. I got it fired up a few weeks ago after waiting almost 3 weeks on a harness only to find the compressor would quickly built 155 psi then turn off and immediately turn right back on while hissing air the entire time. After a call to ARB it was in the box going back for inspection where they found a small piece of powder coat was causing an o-ring not to seal so that was another 2 week delay. In total, ARB cost me almost 6 to 7 weeks lost time while waiting on them to send parts or sort out warranty work. Very frustrating! (missing o-rings from the RD114 locker = 2 week wait because they forgot to send me the o-rings, ordered an extra harness to extend the switches into the cab = 3 weeks because, you guessed it….they forgot to ship it then lost 2 weeks on the compressor repair…..not too sure yet how impressed I am with ARB!). That rant said, I will say I am very impressed with this twin compressor! It builds pressure fast and just works so well! Hope it keeps working..
34909063365_8d3e279d06_c.jpg

34777294461_a63837844f_c.jpg

And no, I am not worried about this gauge hitting the cab during flex. I’ve watched this truck flex for 20 years and pretty much know where the contact point would be
34777317001_917441ac4d_c.jpg

The front locker isn’t in the budget until later in the year but the nice thing about the ARB harness is everything is prewired and ready for it although I am not sure I want to give ARB another penny. Might just use an E-locker in the front. We’ll see
34776334591_4c5cd5b20c_c.jpg

34520942980_8c973f99fd_c.jpg

34097200393_d7b9b8d0f9_c.jpg

34908169925_a1f1212aa4_c.jpg

All cleaned up and ready to go get dirty again
34520897660_3c2eaa7274_c.jpg

34520912720_bf7c4d6dde_c.jpg

Also picked up a cheap little Dash Cam on Amazon for the fun of it
34764847232_cfe7871164_c.jpg

34764861322_67f8822741_c.jpg

So after all that I was finally able to put about 30 miles on it the other day running up and down the highway and hitting some of the bumpiest roads we have out here. All I can say is WOW!!!! Talk about a completely different truck. Between getting rid of that stinking Detroit Locker that cause the truck to dart one direction or the other with throttle input and being able to do sharp turns without the herkie jerky tire barking experience of the Detroit is so nice. And those Bilsteins and Borgeson shaft leave this thing so planted to the ground with great handling and ride. I just can’t believe how well this big heavy tank goes, stops, steers and handles…. it is actually kind of hilarious. Wish the Polar Bear burb and stock Silvy HD handled and rode this nice. I can’t wait to meet its new personality once I get it off road next weekend on a test run before the June 11th Desert Trip departure date :sombrero:

toddz69

Explorer
Sure looks sexy, Larry! I'm always envious of how clean your rigs are, considering that they really get used! I recognize the ORD upper mounts on your rear Bils. I don't often go to their website as it doesn't get updated often but noticed the addition of those a few weeks ago.

Glad to hear you like the ARB unit. I had one a few years ago but sold it before I ever used it and now have the bits to install an engine driven compressor although I keep vascillating between it and an electric compressor. Too many projects in the queue anyway.

Looking forward to your trip report!

Todd Z.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Excellent upgrades and so pretty.
I've had and have ARB's (4Runner) and I have an E-Locker in the front of my 2500HD. I will be putting a E-Locker in the front D60 that in going into the truck. I like that they just work. No drama, no issues it just works.
I have a York engine driven compressor on my 2500HD (Kilby) and the ARB dual compressor in my 4Runner (40" tires). Based on the cost, hassle (poor workmanship on the Kilby brackets that I had to re-work), plus the specialized belt to drive it, I would use the ARB compressor if I were building it today. Just too easy and it works.
Jack

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Sure looks sexy, Larry! I'm always envious of how clean your rigs are, considering that they really get used! I recognize the ORD upper mounts on your rear Bils. I don't often go to their website as it doesn't get updated often but noticed the addition of those a few weeks ago.

Glad to hear you like the ARB unit. I had one a few years ago but sold it before I ever used it and now have the bits to install an engine driven compressor although I keep vascillating between it and an electric compressor. Too many projects in the queue anyway.

Looking forward to your trip report!

Todd Z.

Thanks Todd! You know, they are actually easier to clean up after a trip once everything has been painted and cleaned up before hand. And those new ORD rear shock stud brackets are really nice and reasonably priced too. The double shear is a great idea as these old trucks with just a single stud were known to damage frames too. In fact, the right rear needed some attention as the old stud had badly ovaled the hole.

I am real anxious to see this ARB compressor work on the trail. It is really impressive how quickly it fills the 2.5 gallon tank up to 155 psi. I aired up one tire and it was super fast. Much faster than the Extreme Outback Toolbox air compressor I had been using for the past several years by a long shot......like a hand pump vs. compressed air. LOL

Funny, I too thought about PTO or engine mounted compressor as well. I saw a PTO compressor on CL but many of the pieces were gone and I couldn't find anything about them on line to be able to source parts so that idea died. I also thought about trying to figure out a way to use the accessory brackets and compressor we use on our 8.8L school bus engines with air brakes and from what I could tell adding a clutch to that compressor was not going to be easy. I was also worried about under hood space as that compressor is yuuge! I could have killed a lot of birds with one stone with the bracket set up below as I could have moved the A/C compressor back to the pass side (and cleaned up the hose routing alot), gone to a ZF PS pump and gotten a 230 amp alternator. Oh well, maybe another time. The ARB Twin should work great as long as it keeps working and works every time
bbc6bd69bec3282d8f865c0fd8ebbf81_XL.jpg

Excellent upgrades and so pretty.
I've had and have ARB's (4Runner) and I have an E-Locker in the front of my 2500HD. I will be putting a E-Locker in the front D60 that in going into the truck. I like that they just work. No drama, no issues it just works.
I have a York engine driven compressor on my 2500HD (Kilby) and the ARB dual compressor in my 4Runner (40" tires). Based on the cost, hassle (poor workmanship on the Kilby brackets that I had to re-work), plus the specialized belt to drive it, I would use the ARB compressor if I were building it today. Just too easy and it works.
Jack

An E-locker sure sounds appealing. Anxious to see how the air locker works out. I agree on the compressor, just too easy and if it proves to be durable and dependable it will be the hot ticket. Nice and small too

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I really like the look of your truck Larry with the new Bilsteins installed. Just curious of what the price was on those puppies? Which brand shocks did you use before? Let me know what you think of them when you get a chance to use them on some rough road. Your steering box brace plate install looks nice also. Always good to see that someone read the instructions and welded it in the right place. People dont understand how much metal deforms when you do a complete welding pass all the way around in one go. It should deflect the tension to another part of the frame with your welding method. Like everyone else says, Nice Truck:drool: I am looking forward to your wheeling pics when you get out into the desert. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I really like the look of your truck Larry with the new Bilsteins installed. Just curious of what the price was on those puppies? Which brand shocks did you use before? Let me know what you think of them when you get a chance to use them on some rough road. Your steering box brace plate install looks nice also. Always good to see that someone read the instructions and welded it in the right place. People dont understand how much metal deforms when you do a complete welding pass all the way around in one go. It should deflect the tension to another part of the frame with your welding method. Like everyone else says, Nice Truck:drool: I am looking forward to your wheeling pics when you get out into the desert. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Thanks Chilli! The shocks certainly are not cheap as you could almost buy another set of 35’s tires for what the set of shocks cost. I got them through Summit Racing as they are easy to work with on returns had they not fit or whatever. Before it had some cheap Superlift shocks that looked just like the steering damper. Same shocks that are on the Polar Bear Burb. 2 of the 4 Superlift shocks were completely dead when I pulled them off. The last few desert trips I felt like I was getting sea sick because the truck swayed so much and never stopped. I think the Burb needs a shock upgrade now too. Probably not 7100’$ but something more like 5100’s. Yeah, these old gummy worm frame trucks have enough issues without over heating the frames welding in the patch.

You can count on many pics coming once we get back.

MTCK

Observer
Great work on the upgrades Larry. Should have lots of fade free damping coming with those new shocks!

I've only got a few miles on the 5100's but they are a heck of an upgrade over the wore out stock ones. Looking forward to the trip report.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Great work on the upgrades Larry. Should have lots of fade free damping coming with those new shocks!

I've only got a few miles on the 5100's but they are a heck of an upgrade over the wore out stock ones. Looking forward to the trip report.

Thanks Marcus!

Hey Larry, are you running bumpstops? If so what ones. I can't tell from the pics

Nope, none.....

huntsonora

Explorer
Larry, I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again but your trucks are always so clean and the modifications are always just right. I enjoy following all your builds...

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Picked up a cheap Dash Cam on Amazon the other day and gave it a test yesterday running around to an isolated road to straighten the steering wheel and a quick trip to the parts store. It’s certainly no GoPro but it is something that can stay on all the time to record things that GoPro misses when it is off. I’ll probably leave the mic turned off for the long trip but it was fun to play with on a test run. Funny how the camera mic picks up more audio than your ears do in real life. Need to lube the squeaky clutch pedal regardless!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Cool video Larry. Thanks for posting. Just curious, that now after you have installed that video camera if you think its a good bang for you buck? Also could you post a link so as to where you purchased it. I might buy one. Cheers Chilli..:)

snekvasil

Adventurer
Awesome work, Larry. Wish I lived closer so I could learn from you...I love seeing the transformation and adaptation of your rides! How do your Bilsteins compare to your previous shocks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke