Larry's 1978 K10

BigTex

Observer
Cool pics Larry. Just read through the DT 2017 Trip Report, it was awesome as usual. That one pic of y'all waiting on Zoo's truck to cooperate while looking down from Wolf Creek pass was cool. We were in Pagosa this summer, and I saw the same view. I'm about ready to start an LS swap on my '83. Zoo's review of how much he loves how the K5.3 drives is just further motivation.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I really enjoyed the pics you posted Larry. There is nothing like seeing the real life images of a journey that someone has been through. The fact that you are seeing a thin layer of ice on the lake shows how late in the season you are. Your truck looks great a usual and everyone here loves to see you out kicking it with your rig. Once again thanks for posting up as you give inspiration to us all. Cheers, chilli...:)

ratkin

Adventurer
Ahh! That makes perfect sense! What a cool idea to do for a guest! I bought the same seat covers years ago after reading your post about installing them in your truck!

Awesome trip pictures & report!

Thanks for sharing with all of us!

Cool! Thanks!

Hehe, good eye! That Camel thing is a Camel Snus metal can. I glued a big magnet under the cup holder to hold it in place. It serves as an ashtray for the passenger as they cannot reach the ashtray with the computer stand in the way. It can easy be picked up and used but held in place by the magnet to keep it from getting lost. I usually do not smoke or allow smoking in my rigs but this ole thing has mostly metal interior, easy to clean and doesn’t hold the stench. The Cabela's seat covers go through the wash after every big trip.

Oh, and Zoomad finished up the Desert Trip 2017 Trip Report. Fun read!

Roadhazardguy

Great pictures as always!

It wouldn't let me attach my picture but check out this shirt I just bought at Academy.
20002555.jpg

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Cool pics Larry. Just read through the DT 2017 Trip Report, it was awesome as usual. That one pic of y'all waiting on Zoo's truck to cooperate while looking down from Wolf Creek pass was cool. We were in Pagosa this summer, and I saw the same view. I'm about ready to start an LS swap on my '83. Zoo's review of how much he loves how the K5.3 drives is just further motivation.

I think of all the spots the truck died, none were quite as scenic as right there. We happened to get very lucky as the shoulder got really wide just after it died. At that slope the blazer wasn't coasting very far. Get into the swap for sure, by far the best thing you can do to make the truck more enjoyable to drive.

Can't wait for desert trip 2018. No sleeping on rocks for me!

plumber mike

Adventurer
Thanks for documenting all of this. I told my boys they’ll need to get a scholarship if they want to go to college.
“Why dad?”
“Because of Larry”
“Who is Larry?”
“I don’t know”

Are you anywhere near the Falcon/Black forest area? Sure looks like you may be close.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Thanks for documenting all of this. I told my boys they’ll need to get a scholarship if they want to go to college.
“Why dad?”
“Because of Larry”
“Who is Larry?”
“I don’t know”

Are you anywhere near the Falcon/Black forest area? Sure looks like you may be close.
Hehe, ya…. I hear you on that. I hope my daughter scores a scholarship too so that her college years don’t interrupt my play money ?. Still have a long time…she is only 6.

Nah, I live in the better area where more native Coloradans .……..Pueblo West, which is about an hour to hour and a half from Black Forest and Falcon. Anywhere North of here is just an extension of California and Texas ?

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Have you done anything with a 8.8 yet? I just started at an International dealership 3 months ago and everytime I walk past a new bus with a 8.8 I think about yanking it out for one of my projects. I do have a 02 8.1/Allison combo for my M725.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Have you done anything with a 8.8 yet? I just started at an International dealership 3 months ago and everytime I walk past a new bus with a 8.8 I think about yanking it out for one of my projects. I do have a 02 8.1/Allison combo for my M725.
Neat! Which dealer are you at? I pretty much know all of them in the US and Canada. As far as the 8.8s I’ve only been able to play with them at our Woodridge training center. We really don’t see any issues with them so I haven’t gotten a chance to play with one in the field. The only issues we’ve seen on the 8.8 is on the typical fuel delivery system on the propane buses. Internal engine issues are very rare.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
So actually, I do have an update on the ole K10. As many of you have read, I've been chasing an odd issue with my 10.5 14 bolt in the K10 for the past few years where it likes to purge oil after a few hours of driving on the Interstate at 75 to 85 MPH. When driven on state highways at slower speeds or off-road there has been no issues with oil purge…only at high speeds. About a year ago, I ripped it down and inspected and replaced every bearing, race, seal, and verified and driveline angles and back lash. There was no smoking gun, no signs of overheat and only found one bearing (wheel bearing) that had a loose case. Hardly a culprit.

We took off on Desert Trip 2016 and sure enough, a few hours of Interstate driving it started belching oil again. I had a cheap Hazard Freight inferred thermometer with me where the rear diff covers between the K10 and Suburban were within a few degrees of each other (the rear axles in the K10 and Polar Bear Suburban are identical, minus the fact the Burb has an open diff). Again, proving that it is not an overheat issue in the K10. The popular opinion is there is nothing wrong with the axle at all, just a stack up of tolerances between the 4:56 thick gears, Detroit locker, heavy truck, tall tires and high road speed.

The answer would be to slow the hell down on the Interstate, which I am not going to do. I want to be able to keep up with traffic and even pass traffic but without using my James Bond oil hose squirting everybody as I pass them. Being I am sick and tired of the Detroit Locker antics of click bang!, the truck darting one direction under heavy throttle then darting the other direction when letting off I decided it was time for a selectable locker. I also wanted to go to a little wider axle housing to even up the track so I followed Mosesburbs recipe with a 70” wide (hub to hub) G-Van axle to more even up the track to the front Dana 60 at 69” wide. As a comparison to the 67” side C20 axle I've had in it for 20 years.

With that, a fresh rear is in process for the K10….

Hopefully, the butt wiping when the purge bottle over flows will be over now. Talk about a sticky mess all over the back of the camper and trasheroo.

Did the new axle solve the problem?
Maybe it's the diff cover? Banks has a series of videos on this.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles