UK Overland & 4x4 Travel Show

Saratoga

Adventurer
Spotted this via a link on a Land Rover Mailing list. (Thanks Darren)

Overland & 4x4 Travel Show
Leamington Spa, Warwickshire,
Sunday 13th February 2011

http://www.4x4travelshow.co.uk

Tickets are £5 :victory: :wings:

Not sure where to put this message but I guess here does OK ;)

Steve UK

Adventurer
I guess it will be a bit far to drive for most folk on here :) but I will be there, looking forward to it and its only 15 mins down the road too. How lucky is that.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Those us who can't expect to see a lot of pictures posted by those of you who can!

Please.

zeroland

Adventurer
Yup, I will be there. Plan to interview few of the vendors & to share the wonders of Overland Journal.

We need an Expo Portal meeting area on Sunday!
Any suggestions? I don't know the venue.

Steve UK

Adventurer
Not been there either, 1st ever 4x4 show as well :Wow1:

Not really sure what to expect, just curious really. I am getting married this year and a Safari honeymoon has been approved so maybe get some information.

Probably get there about midday, I will be in my Defender but thats probably not much help parked next to 50 other blue defenders :)

Steve

zeroland

Adventurer
Show Report

Here are a few photos from yesterdays event. Overall, the venue was pretty small which meant that the traders were squeezed together - I think this worked well for the first year as it did give the impression the show was busier than it might have been.

View from the Tea room...
IMG_2966.JPG

Kevin from Mudstuff.co.uk was onsite with a few of the Adventure Trailers... I really like these...

IMG_2956.JPG

Matt Savage
IMG_2950.JPG

Trooopcampers were onsite with their new vehicle hire service:
IMG_2967.JPG

The car park offered an interesting view...
IMG_2976.JPG

Photo from Twitter:
scaled.php

My personal thoughts on the show...
Fantastic if you are looking to talk to the major traders and have a small shopping list in mind... perfect for those plastic packing crates, bits 'n bobs and more importantly talking to the various traders.

The show as not great for 2nd hand parts and all those nut & bolts that overlanders love to collect.

More photos here

Sirocco

Explorer
I didnt go because the trader list made it look like any other land rover show. I personally didn't see anything there to attract me. maybe next year they will have more...

G

zeroland

Adventurer
Sirocco - I must agree that it was very similiar to another LR show... however this time the show floor vehicles ie Toyota's matched the Land Rover numbers... and not one same Land Rover model...

I do think they need to re-think the show concept and allow the traders to gain more value. I might be wrong and this is what the traders want.

For the newbies to overlanding a show like this makes sense but perhaps those of us who have all the kit, and have traveled find this old school.

Any thoughts on what would make a good show in the UK?

Sirocco

Explorer
Any thoughts on what would make a good show in the UK?

I mentioned this over on the Hubb. I thought the Adventure Live show in London was excellent. Naturally Its more of a travel show, but this is more appealing than what shiny RTT I should have.

They had lots of talks on travel, photography, destination specific (Afganistan for instance!). Chris Scott did talks on travel in the Sahara and the last one was a talk on hostile situations, how to avoid, what to look for etc etc. In my mind, very very informative and I go for these talks each time, not so much the white water rafting tour down the Zambezi.

The problem with the UK is that nobody gets together to do things, its all everyman for himself. If you could combine the trade aspect of the overland show with the talks from the Adventure Live show and the general ambiance, local good feeling of the RGS show Im sure it would rival EXPO in the states :victory:

just my thoughts. I have only been doing this for the last 5 years but I am bored of the Land Rover trade orientated shows I frequented every year. Its time for a shake up, the problem is, its not likely to please the masses so I doubt it will ever happen.

G

Gren_T

Adventurer
shows

I think the recent show was formerly the donnigton 4x4 show & just another attempt to jump on the overlanding fashion which is now prevelent in the magazines.
anyone else notice the shift from challenge machines to travel stories and hardware.?

I think a combination of the HUBB events or the RGS event with trade stands and odds'n sods stands would be great.

I go to the shows for the social scene and to perv at the vehicles :drool: as opposed to buying farckle that the magazines say is in vogue.

anyone for a beer & schnitzel at the Abenteur & Allrad Show.?

regards all

Last edited:

Sirocco

Explorer
I think the recent show was formerly the donnigton 4x4 show & just another attempt to jump on the overlanding fashion which is now prevelent in the magazines.

Gren,

The donny show (indoor 4x4 show) moved to the same venue as this one. It is a seperate thing and still going strong. This years show is on 19-20th March http://www.britishindoor4x4show.com/

The Overland Show was a brand new thing (1st show) organised by the guys at Llama 4x4 who started the original Indoor 4x4 show at donny some years ago.

Really wanted ot get to the A&A show this year but the other half is busy and I have to fork out $$$ to go to West Africa in a few weeks (hopefully) thus I cannot make it... next year though!? :coffeedrink:

G

zeroland

Adventurer
Podcast

During the show I took the opportunity to interview a few of the traders... here's a link to the podcast (Part of the Overland Live podcast series)

http://overland-live.blogspot.com

I am agreement with the comments above that the UK needs something more substantial when it comes to events. My ideal show would be a weekend like the RGS Explore event. This event is aimed at expeditions in general and include a few key note sessions and plenty of workshops ranging from media, medical, fund raising, etc. There is only 1hour workshop dedicated to vehicle based expeditions. This show is held annually at the RGS HQ and not to be confused with the Yorkshire RGS Overland Workshop in May.

I would break the divide between the 2-wheelers and the 4-wheelers and cater for both categories. Overlanding is goes beyond the means of travel.

Anyway, that's my thoughts... just need someone to join me in organising it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94