Which way should I proceed with my van?

Clark

Observer
I was one of the early purchasers of Chris' van 4x4 kit. I've been very happy with it, but I've run into some engine problems that are forcing me to evaluate which way I want to go and I'm looking for some imput.

My van is a 2000 E350 with the 7.3l diesel engine. It was formally the Château Passenger version of the van. I regeared the van 50k ago with 4:10 gears. It has the Dana 60 front axle and a full float Dana 60 rear. The transmission is ford factory remanufactured with 40k on it and the transfer case is a BW1356 (I believe). Here's where the problem comes in. About 13k ago I had some engine problems and I decided it was probably the best coarse to put a new engine in it. I bought a longblock from South Houston Engine Builders, but the van broke down at an inconvenient time so I decided to have the dealer put it in. They screwed up and messed up the gear that drives the HPOP when they were putting it in (I believe). They want way too much money to investigate if they caused the problem (though I wouldn't have to pay if it was there fault (as if they would ever admit that)). They've agreed to let me pull the engine myself and have an independent auditor figure out whose fault it is. I'm not happy with it, but its the best I'm getting.

The problem is that I really like my van, but its a little small for what I use it for. I wish I had bought the extended model so that my surfboards would fit better, it has too many windows, I would prefer have a topper on it so that I could stand up in, the paints pealing in places, and I wish that I had configured the interior differently but everything is welded in. I can envision turning this into an opportunity to fix these problems.

With the way that diesel prices are going up I've thought about parting it out or selling it as is, but I'd rather not go this way since I've really enjoyed my van. The 3 options I've come up with are to purchase an extended van and put all the diesel parts on it, convert an ambulance, or buy a small motorhome and transfer the parts. The ambulance would be relatively easy because I could find one that already a 7.3, but the other two offers problems. All my parts are for a diesel van. I doubt the California DMV would like the gasser changing fuels. What issues are involve with switching things over (legally), and what do you think would be the best way to go?

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Engine swaps in CA are legal as long as the engine being swapped in is the same year or newer than the vehicle its being swapped into (example, if the new van is a 98, the diesel engine would have to be 98 or newer) and have all the original emissions equipment the swapped motor was equipped with in the original configuration - and it has to be in the same class or stricter (cant put a truck engine with less emissions equipment into a car, but can put the more heavily smogged car motor into a truck). Since you would be going van to van this point would be a non issue.

Clark

Observer
Thank you very much! Does the class of the vechicle apply to the E350 engine going into a E150 since the E350 is more heavy duty?

Clark

Observer
No its completely non running. I just talked with OC Diesel and they thought it would be $4000+. I don't think that I'm going to fix it. I would love to strip the parts off it, but that might stress out my master planned neighbors too much. Any suggestions?

Clark

Observer
I can't really say. I made it to be a great surf van for me, but its often described as ghetto ;-) Besides the engine its mechanically in good condition.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Thank you very much! Does the class of the vehicle apply to the E350 engine going into a E150 since the E350 is more heavy duty?
The only problem that might apply is if the E350 was registered as commercial (cargo van) and the E150 was registered as passenger (club wagon or conversion passenger van) which they might classify equal to a car from DMV standpoint, but that you'd have to check with the smog referee

ExpoMike

Based on my research (because I was buying an out of state diesel rig), CA has smog inspections for '97 and newer diesel vehicles. If you are going to do a swap, you will want to make sure everything that is needed for the year of the engine (which has to be same year as body or newer) is swapped over and working. It also makes it easier if you are putting in an engine that was available in that model body style (i.e. E350 offered a diesel but did a E150 offer it?). Not that it still can't be done but it makes converting a gasser into a diesel much easier.

Engine swaps are a PITA in CA so do all your homework and talk to a referee before you commit to anything. They will be your source for what you will get away with. If you can find a friendly one, talk to them and write everything he tells you down and make sure you go back to him when it's time to get it inspected.

Good luck.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Engine swaps are a PITA in CA so do all your homework and talk to a referee before you commit to anything. They will be your source for what you will get away with. If you can find a friendly one, talk to them and write everything he tells you down and make sure you go back to him when it's time to get it inspected.

This is quality advice. Of you embark on an Engine Swap, you will end up in a RELATIONSHIP with your referee. Like it or not, you will see him/ multiple times. Better for you if you get a friendly one and treat everything he says as gospel.

Clark

Observer
Thank you for all the information about the smog ref. Its making an ambulance sound better and better. I've seen plenty of the 7.3's for sale, and all the parts would be an easy transfer (or at least as easy as a transfer can be on a van).

If I go about stripping my van in my driveway I think most of it could be done without running too afoul with the association (I managed to do the SAS in my driveway without them catching on). The problem comes when I remove the axles. How do you go about getting the remainder to the scrap metal yard when it doesn't roll. Has anyone every heard about a scrap yard letting you remove the axles on their lot?

Loopie

Adventurer
A flat deck Tow can drag the body onboard...or a flat deck with a lift, they'll pick it right up off the stands.

Jeffh555

Observer
Has anyone every heard about a scrap yard letting you remove the axles on their lot?

I did this with a Suburban I was parting out. Pulled everything I wanted off it, pushed it on the trailer and towed it to the junkyard. Once I got there they picked up the truck with a forklift and torched off the leaf springs, axles fell to the ground, and I wheeled them back on the trailer. You'd obviously have to work something out as far as unbolting the u-joint brackets and leafs instead of torching the leafs, but it is doable. I would go talk to a scrap yard, I've had better luck with shady ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94