Anyone else weird like this?

intothewild

Adventurer
This post it a bit off topic, but it has to do with 4wd vans, so it's fitting here and I'm sure this part of the forum is surely to be the only part to understand what I'm saying.

Anyways, as I was leaving work today, I'm sitting at a light outside the dealership I work at and next to me pulls up this completely beat up old gmc 4x4 van. I am absolutely certain that 99.8% of the population would look at it say "what a pile of S".

Yet, here I was staring at it, thinking thats "********** cool!"

Am I weird for seeing beat up old 4x4 van's and immediately picturing the massive amount of potential?

:victory:

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Not at all. I look at the potential in a lot of vehicles.
Shoot, I peruse craigslist, looking at vans that have potential for a u-joint conversion hoping someday to be able to get one......its the dreamers that keep innovations in the world going...:victory:

nely

Adventurer
A customer of mine had a pathfinder built econoline 350. I would get all giddy when he would bring it in. Id check everything out and ponder how awesome it would be to take it out camping and dirtbiking....
Then i found out they donated it and it probably ended up in the crusher.... They said it had rust issues. But how bad could it have been for being a CA van?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

expeditionist

Observer
Recently I found myself mildly envious of this old guy driving this old rusted out Toyota pickup. It just looked classic and cool. I like the personality and potential of the old rigs.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
A customer of mine had a pathfinder built econoline 350. I would get all giddy when he would bring it in. Id check everything out and ponder how awesome it would be to take it out camping and dirtbiking....
Then i found out they donated it and it probably ended up in the crusher.... They said it had rust issues. But how bad could it have been for being a CA van?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Just had a situation like this...There was a Ramcharger on my GF mail routeup for sale..he wanted 1500 for it ,been sitting for awhile....it was gone the other day..she never really talked to this customer..well, he needed it gone asap and "gave" it to pick n pull...it even ran...:Wow1:

dsw4x4

Adventurer
I point out so many cool old cars and trucks with potential on the road that my girl friend not only points them out to me but she will snap pictures of cool old clunkers and bring them home to show me what she saw today. I am always really proud when she finds one for sale! As for search CL for cars, truck and vans with "potential". At any one time you can mention a auto on the three nearest cl cities and I can probably tell you about it off the top of my head. I am currently down to 9 cars (dangerously low) two boats a few motorcycles and a lot of other cool stuff with a potential including the newest CL score the new shop van which screams potential...
IMG_7611.jpg

Derek

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
They said it had rust issues. But how bad could it have been for being a CA van?

Very Bad. Here's one small chunk of my two-owner, CA car 1970 BMW 2002. It also barely had a spare tire well anymore. People forget that we have a giant source of salt right next to us in the form of the Pacific Ocean... You haven't lived until you've watched an Alfa Romeo rust overnight because you parked it a block from the beach.
rust.jpg

2040JAVIER

van

This post it a bit off topic, but it has to do with 4wd vans, so it's fitting here and I'm sure this part of the forum is surely to be the only part to understand what I'm saying.

Anyways, as I was leaving work today, I'm sitting at a light outside the dealership I work at and next to me pulls up this completely beat up old gmc 4x4 van. I am absolutely certain that 99.8% of the population would look at it say "what a pile of S".

Yet, here I was staring at it, thinking thats "********** cool!"

Am I weird for seeing beat up old 4x4 van's and immediately picturing the massive amount of potential,,,,,,,,,,,,.i have the same ideas every day looking for vans that have pontential all the time and if a have have $$$$$$ i get them and fix them up.

Gvan

Observer
Thanks Intothewild for thinking old 4x4 vans are still cool.I am building/rebuilding a 1980 Pathfinder GM van and in the past year I have bought a total of three Pathfinders just to have for parts and such. All were kind of like the Maximus Ram story, where someone just wanted them gone.None of them was over $800 and two of them ran and drove. Two were local California vans but one was too rusty and beet up to fix and the other had a great body rust wise but it had a light roll over early in its life and was only used and abused on a farm after that, never fixed. So those two become one in my Barn Find a rare 1980 Chevy Nomad Van. One of friends ,who like you thinks they are so cool he bought one as well, a 1985 GMC. The only bad part about them is they are only worth something to that ONE other person who also thinks they are cool no matter how much time and money you put into them rebuilding and restoring them. But they are a 4x4 van and with that comes all of the things any 4x4 van is good for.They are great for light off roading, camping, hauling big things, photography and such. Someday years from now a 2010 Sportmobile will be an old van pulling up next to someone at a light who thinks " wow old 4x4 vans are cool" and they are.

Last edited:

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I prefer beaters. I've never liked my trucks until they are 3-5 years old. Shiny and clean are not for me. My buddy had a van bought at auction, that was totally beat and said "Kim's Karate" on the side. It also had a full size logo of a guy doing a side kick. He could park it anywhere and nobody messed with it. The inside had 5k worth of climbing and scuba gear, but he never locked it.:)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Not long after I bought my $200 76 E-250 camper...with the faded paint and surface rust here and there and 15 years of sitting unused...

I was at a stop light and a guy pulls up next to me and says, "Nice Van!" with a big smile. I was like...uh...

Couldn't figure out what he could possibly be talking about about and he could see I was confused, so he says, "NO DENTS!" and gives a thumbs up. Ahh, now I get it. Yea, he's right. So I smile and as he drives away he says, "And it's got all its hubcaps too..."

intothewild

Adventurer
Glad im not alone, I knew you guys would understand. I've always been a massive gearhead, but few of my gearhead buddies have ever understood the appeal that vans have to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz