VW People....Check in!!!!

wjeeper

I have always had a soft spot for anything VW built for the offroad......I think I watched my Herbie tapes too many times, does that count?:sombrero:

I have had my eye on a Manx thats sitting in a yard near my house for years now. The pan is rusted through but most of the rest looks salvageable. A Manx with a mated with a Subaru ej22t engine would be my dream VW........but alas its all "benchtop racing" and pipe dreams for now......hell while we are dreaming add some 3x3's and a 6" over beam with Fodrill parts:coffeedrink:

ARlZONA

Observer
The only thing VW on this is the shift knob from a 67 but, it was originally built from a VW Bug and morphored throughout the last 25 years.

DSCF1022.JPG

DSC01217.JPG

Major enhancements over the holidays including the over engine spare tire carrier, a fire wall, heater and many interior and exterior enhancements for storage and making it a lot nicer to drive.

It is a never ending project but for me that is half the fun, the other half is exploring with it.

Oh yeah, it goes fast too :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

gwhipp

Observer
Here is my family's VW. I don't get to take it out very often, but it sure is when I do.

My grandparents bought it in the 70s and drove the heck out of it. They towed it behind a Ford Pickup with a camper shell all the way to the Panama Canal. (My great-aunt was stationed down there as a nurse) If they saw an interesting road, they'd unhook the buggy and go exploring. I don't think you could do that now. :smiley_drive:

They gave it to my parents in the early 90s and it sat in the garage for a while because of some frame damage because of unbalanced wheels when it was towed from CA to CO. When I was 14, I started working on it. My dad would buy the parts, if I did the labor. :victory:

Repaired frame, new engine, transmission, tires, wheels, brakes, etc. The list goes on and on.

IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

RB1

Observer
Here is my buggy and a picture taken while riding in the Windrivers in Wyoming. Currently building a baja.

Attachments

• IMG_0624.JPG
    IMG_0624.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0605.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 143

RB1

Observer
To be truthful I'm not sure about being street legal, I have not tried nor have I ever seen one street legal in Utah. There is a lot of lenience of ATV's and SxS's in certain areas, especially around the Piute Trail areas as the trail goes thru some of the towns.
This is the main reason I'm building a baja(also have a Manx), so I can be street legal.
Wyoming on the other hand is quite different. They have a permit that you can get that makes it legal to ride on any road except the interstate. Only basic safety items are required. Not unusual to see a SxS or ATV on the streets in Wyo. Your buggy would def. be allowed on the streets of Wyo. with the permit.
Arizona-How about some detail shots of your buggy, looks pretty cool. Is that a door I see to get in? Motor, trans?

greg mgm

Explorer
I love VW threads.

This is my baja that I've owned since '86. A arms front and rear. A shiney pic-
IMG_1049-1609x398.jpg

What it really looks like-
IMG_2651600x450-1.jpg

I just sold this to buy a new heater for the house. I like being warm and all but I miss the Thing!-
P5178471.jpg

My Bandit buggy. I have tons of fun with this car. The 2332 engine makes it a thrill !
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

Last edited:

nely

Adventurer
One of my many vws ive owned.
d0362743-a871-2b57.jpg

Current project 1980 diesel rabbit pickup
d0362733-a8c2-8bf0.jpg

I have much vdub love. Ive mostly dealt with water cooled though and have owned 5 and will purchase more im sure

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I've become a Vdub guy now.....

1969 Beetle, 1500cc

0213111053a-1.jpg

0213111053-1.jpg

0213111055a-1.jpg

0213111056-1.jpg

When I'm done, I hope it looks something like this:
bajaBug-1.jpg

Dave

Storz

Explorer
Great thread. I've had 4 VW/Audi products and really ejoyed all of them

98 A4 1.8t
97 A4 2.8q
00 12v VR6 GTI

My wife's current ride is an 05 Jetta TDI

Would love to do a Baja Bug someday :)

Chris_B

Nice VDubbs guys, I especially like the rails!
An off topic subject, but might one of you guys know the typical cruising rpm for the mid eighties 1.6TD?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior