Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chaco Culture, Nov. 2010

Default Chaco Culture, Nov. 2010

Seems like its the mid winter duldrums on expo, so here's a few random photo's from a short road trip down through Santa Fe, up to Taos, over to Chaco Culture NHP, up through Durango to Montrose, east to Monarch, and then back north through southpark back to front range Colorado. Went just before Christmas to get out of town and visit a few friends. I had never been out to Chaco since its kinda in the middle of no where, but if you get the chance I highly recommend going!

Snow on I25 into Santa Fe:

Snow that night:

Somewhere on the road:

Only problem encountered on the trip was a frozen ebrake cable after hitting rain on the way to taos:

Leaving Pavement on the way to Chaco:

Entering the park, road is paved again:

A few short hikes to some great ruins and art:

Campground was pretty well deserted that night, only a few other folks:

Stopping in silverton on the way through:

Skiing Monarch:
    Last edited by coax; 02-13-2011 at 07:36 PM.
    '97 lx450, 180k, lockers, ome 850/863, fox, arb, ep9, 285 [Yoko I/T's|Nitto TG's], 4 working doors(1 more than the old fj55 ) My South America road trip, http://hobogoesrogue.wordpress.com

Thanks for sharing, great pics! Chaco is amazing though I haven't been there in years. You've brought back some great memories. Your lx's color looks great against a desert view!

Looks like you had a fun trip. I need to make it up to Chaco. I've lived in NM for almost 16 years and I've never been there.
    '98 4Runner

Still a lot of wash board on the road in?

On the way in it wasn't too bad, cause of all the mud. Once it dried up it was pretty bumpy on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by bronconut View Post
    Still a lot of wash board on the road in?
    '97 lx450, 180k, lockers, ome 850/863, fox, arb, ep9, 285 [Yoko I/T's|Nitto TG's], 4 working doors(1 more than the old fj55 ) My South America road trip, http://hobogoesrogue.wordpress.com

I haven't been to Chaco in years either. Incredible place! Not to be missed. I used to take my wife and kids to ruins all over the 4 Corners in the 90's. Some nice hikes at Chaco to outlying ruins as well in the park. If you are used to seeing small hidden ruins elsewhere then you will be absolutely amazed at the immensity and density of the Chaco ruins. My wife and I need to go there again soon. It's been too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    Looks like you had a fun trip. I need to make it up to Chaco. I've lived in NM for almost 16 years and I've never been there.
    You have to correct this grievous error! I have been there several times and will go again! Amazing place!
    Overlanding - "Basically it's like backpacking except your backpack is a vehicle." Martinjmpr
    2001 XJ Limited - 4.0, AW4, NP231, HP D30/TruTrac C8.25/Detroit, 4.5" lift, AJ's Rock Rails, other STUFF.

Chaco is one of my favorite places. Been there several times, and hiked the Pueblo Alto trail in '94.

Thanks for sharing. I need to make another trip out there. Missed it in 2008 due to time constraints.
    Get out and make nowhere your special somewhere!

Im trying to plan a motorcycle trip, either before or after Overland Expo, and this is very high on my list of sights I want to see!! Ive never been to any ruins and am dying to see them in person.

Chaco, Mesa Verde, Canyon De Chelly, along with Monument Valley, UT are what Im trying to plan my route around.

THanks for the pics!! Cant wait to see them in person!!
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    J.R.R. Tolkien

"Money can't buy you happiness...
    but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery."
    Spike Milligan

2011 Wrangler Rubicon
    2001 F650GS Dakar

There's a good chance I'll get to visit Chaco this summer on a solo trip. Very cool pix! Thanks for inspiring!
    Peace and Mud,
    Patrick, Cyndi, Genavieve, & Rhyse
    San Antonio, TX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast