Vasque boot sole repair?

FettsWay

Adventurer
I have some Vasque hiking boots that need repair if possible.

One boot has a split in the sole, the other just has worn away in one spot on the sole.

How can I repair these if possible? I know it won't be a great repair, but I would like to continue getting use out of them. Should I just take a chance with a shoe repair shop?

- fettsway

Attachments

• IMG_4902.JPG
    IMG_4902.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4906.JPG
    IMG_4906.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4901.JPG
    IMG_4901.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 13

ol' scott

Adventurer
Vibram has a tool for finding the nearest repair shop http://www.vibram.us/repair/default.asp

There are multiple places out there with good reputations for repairing and resoling shoes.

http://www.rmresole.com/ is one that popped up constantly in searches, no experience with them so I can't recommend. Your local shoe repair should be able to replace Vibram soles, they're pretty popular. If all else fails call your nearest REI, they'll probably be able to recommend somebody.

Good luck.

S

Squatchout

If they just need soles that should be an easy job for any good shoe repair place. Last I looked Vasque was still owned by Red Wing. Take them to a Red Wing place they should be able to point you at a repair place that can fix them.

Edit: Your pics just came through on my slow 'puter. Those type of sole can't be resoled as far as I know. That is a molded sole. You need a traditional Goodyear welt sole for resoleing. I've got a couple of pair of nice expensive shoes/boots that are in great shape(except the soles) with that type of soles that I'll end up trashing because they won't resole them.

Last edited:

INSAYN

Adventurer
Clean off the cracked or worn out areas with a mild solvent get the rubber good and clean.

Make dam with masking tape around the sole, and liberally apply Marine Goop, or Shoe Goo to the sole. Force it into the crack so it gets a good hold. Allow this to cure for a day or two, depending on thickness of goo.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Looks like you have Vasque Wasatch boots? Unfortunately, those are not resoleable boots. Not in any way that would be worth doing. One of the best resolers in the business is The Rubber Room inside Wilson's East Side Sports in Bishop, California. They've been able to resole some of my mountaineering boots, but at a stiff cost.

I think your best bet will be to find a similar pair on sale and just go with a new pair. Looks like you did get your money's worth, though.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I had Italian made Vasque Sundowners and loved them. The sole was not replaceable and I had to toss them when the sole started separating at the front. Too bad, I really liked them.

If they just need soles that should be an easy job for any good shoe repair place. Last I looked Vasque was still owned by Red Wing. Take them to a Red Wing place they should be able to point you at a repair place that can fix them.

Edit: Your pics just came through on my slow 'puter. Those type of sole can't be resoled as far as I know. That is a molded sole. You need a traditional Goodyear welt sole for resoleing. I've got a couple of pair of nice expensive shoes/boots that are in great shape(except the soles) with that type of soles that I'll end up trashing because they won't resole them.

To my knowledge, that is correct. I HAD a pair of Red Wings hikers with a sole similar to that, and Red Wing cannot resole them because of the glues they used to use on older shoes like that design are banned by the EPA. They have to use different glues which will NOT work well enough to keep the new soles on for long. I lost one of my hiker pairs for that reason, and I'm about to lose another pair because of it (both 4 years old with LOTS of miles on them). I've switched over to the welt sole stitching boots. I'm waiting for one of these women's workboots to come in from RW (by the way, I had a problem with some deformation of the top side of the insole built directly on the outsole, and I can feel it under my left foot. I'm waiting on a replacement pair to come in).

cobbler

I know this is a little late but just ran across the discussion. I would like to let you all know that Vasque hiking boots can be resoled and repaired. No matter if they where made in Italy or China

d110pickup

SE Expedition Society
I know this is a little late but just ran across the discussion. I would like to let you all know that Vasque hiking boots can be resoled and repaired. No matter if they where made in Italy or China

Where?

And is the price reasonable compared to buying a new, similar boot?

Mike

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
If that's the case then any similar boot would be equally repairable. There's nothing unique to the construction of a Vasque over any other boot.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I was in the same boatith the boots. I cleaned the area real good and used 3M 5200 Marine grade caulk. So far after many miles, the soles are still on and going strong. I did buy a pair of Bitterroots as a replacement. I wanted the cloth style but read nothing but bad reports on the soles. I just hope the Bitterroots last as long as my first pair Vasque, 15 years. It took 5 years just to break them in. They were the best boot I have ever wore. 15 years ago they were $185, The new ones I just bought were $219. I hope they are a good investment. Try the caulk!!

06GMCSierra

That happened to me too!

I had two pair of the same boot model. Both pair of boots were defective. I would start looking at other boot makers. Vasque is junk since they moved to China!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste