Diesel Stove & Oven Options??

trailsurfer

Explorer
In the EarthRoamers we have diesel stoves that have the smooth cook top that you have pictured. I will go though my manuals and get you the make and model.

I have seen the stoves work at 11,000 feet as well as sea level. They have an automatic adjustment now that compensates for altitude.

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
In the EarthRoamers we have diesel stoves that have the smooth cook top that you have pictured. I will go though my manuals and get you the make and model.

I have seen the stoves work at 11,000 feet as well as sea level. They have an automatic adjustment now that compensates for altitude.

That would be great, thank you very much.

Cheers

dzzz

I'm curious as to why you'd consider the "lack of open flame" be a disadvantage? I would have assumed in a closed environment where things could potentially catch fire, the lack of an open flame would be an "advantage". According to the specs, all of the fumes, smells, etc. are vented to the outside. Not sure how true that is??? I certainly don't want the cabin smelling of diesel all the time.

The simple explanation is that every professional chef would prefer an open flame for temperature control. It's not a small thing for people that cook. However, the type of cooking that benefits most from an open flame is best done outside the camper.
I would argue that an open flame is safer because the on/off is clear. Propane is less safe than diesel, but not unsafe in a proper system.
A diesel cooktop is the equivalent of a flat electric cooktop with poor temperature control. That's fine for many people, especially non-cooks, and cooks who will do most of there grilling outside anyways.
Some people would do better with no installed cooktop. Use potable open flame cooktop inside or outside as needed.
I'm not against diesel cooktops. I went with propane after listening to peoples evaluations. Many people are happy with them. Some people regret the decision due to the factors I mentioned.
Diesel is pretty much a "slam dunk" for heat if the extra cost isn't a deterrent. Less so for refrigeration and cooking IMO.
As far as smell the issue is some odor coming from the outside exhaust, not the inside. From my experience I could smell it if the air was still, but not odor was not strong. Since were using diesel powered vehicles there is probably some desensitization to diesel smells over time.

Frau Blucher

Experience with Diesel Cooktop odors?

Resurrecting an old thread to ask the same question;

Anyone else able to add commentary on their experience with diesel cooktops? Odors are my concern. My wife is sensitive to air quality.

We are looking at the Webasto X100.

My understanding is the Webasto and Wallas shoes are made by the same parent company.

Please do let us know of your experience.

Tazman

Adventurer
I have a Webasto and I can't smell diesel at all when it is running. Everything vents externally and you would never know it was diesel. You can also burn biodiesel in them and it smells like French frys if anything. I love mine but there is a learning curve. I have the Webasto on the inside and propane on the outside.

Steve1014

I've had the webasto x100 for 2.5 year's now (just out of warranty) and the PC board failed. $580 to replace it on a $2000 stove. Not to happy about that...

HowardH

Adventurer
I've a Wallas duocooktop in my new camper. So far I'm liking it. That said the temps seem to vary a lot and not much temp control.

I took some readings with a laser temp gauge. See below. Are my results typical?

The first column of numbers is the position the temp was taken facing the stove.
Temp 5 min
1200. 260
300. 400
600. 120
900. 150

Temp 10 min
1200. 430
300. 570
600. 230
900. 310
Center 700

20 min
1200. 450
300. 600
600. 325
900. 350
Center. 700

5 min after turning from low to high
1200. 560
300. 690
600. 380
900. 370
Center. 810

Last edited:

ohiobenz

Resurrecting because I don't see an answer ... and I'm looking for a diesel stove for my LMTV project.

HowardH

Adventurer
My update is I don't care for my stove. Gas is significantly quicker; to heat up, to actually cook or boil and to cool down. Plus you can set it up outside. After use my opinion is that diesel stoves sound great in theory and on the showroom floor but there are better options for actual use. Induction is a viable option as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online