Campmor Outdoor Tents from South Africa via Equipt

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Campmor Outdoor Canvas Tents (Not to be confused with Campmor in the US)
The only tents in Australia suitable for semi- permanent camp sites
Made in South Africa using Australian Canvas
when only the best will do .....

What makes these tents the best ?

1) Unbreakable solid core spring steel poles. Never experienced a pole broken by mother natures' force.

2) The only tents that can be set up either permanently or semi-permanently without fear of fading or fabric degredation from the harsh Australian sun. No other tents dare to make this claim.

3) Category 5 Frame System - tested to withstand winds of 100km per hour *. These tents stand firm and will out perform any other tents in Australia in windy conditions.

The deal is done and the tents are on their way from South Africa. We at Equipt Expedition Outfitters have been looking for several years in South Africa for a really nice ground tent. We found that in the Campmor line of tents that are so highly touted in Australia as one of the best toughest tents in the world. Here is a link to 87 Campmor Tents set up at one time near Sydney Harbor in a 100KMH wind storm:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mtmEyG_nY"]YouTube - The worlds most durable canvas tents - part four of four - pressure tests - www.diamantina.net.au[/ame]

Here is a link to a series of videos on the tents from one of Australias largest tent retailers: http://www.kangarootentcity.com.au/welcome/page55.php#Campmor_Canvas_Tents

This is an awesome over view of the quality materials and construction of the Campmor Tents.

We started our testing when Jim Markel of Reddox brought one over from South Africa and used it on our "Beyond the Lane" expeditions. It was clear from the start that this was the tent that we were looking for:

IMG_1144-Edit-web.jpg

This picture is of Jim's Rambler without the small awning deployed. It measures 83"x83" with a height of 73" and 3 windows. This will be the smallest Campmor Tent that we bring to the Us at this time.

We think that the Campmor Safari Hennie Tent will be our most popular tent and we will have one setup in true safari style at the Overland Expo in April. The Safari Hennie Tent measures 95"x95"x73"H. It is the most popular Campmore tent around the world and goes by several different names.

We are also bringing in the Campmor Safari Bow with Wind Break that measures 118"x118"x89"H. With this tent you have the option of making the tent larger with two different add-ons. These add-ons can turn this expedition style tent into a home with a living room and kitchen if you like.

There have been two test done recently where they have setup a Campmor tent for 6 months and 18 months. At the end of each test there was absolutely no fading, stretching or problems of any kind. Because of this they are considered to be semi-permanent structures in Australia.

This is a lot to digest, but just wanted to get this out there for those of you looking for a top notch ground tent option.

Last edited:

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Ben,

Will you have the Safari Bow at OvEx, or at least some informational material on it?

Also, any information on the floor thickness, and coating?

Thanks,
Gavin

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Do you think that there will be issues with Campmor; the decades old retailer out of NJ?

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Availability and cost?...

Ben when will these be available?

Cost?

Interested in a ground option to supplement my Sherpa II...

Regards,

BWJ

Edit: Saw the prices on the link...how close will those prices be? Appears to be very competitive the Oztent pricing...Hmmmm

Last edited:

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Ben,

Will you have the Safari Bow at OvEx, or at least some informational material on it?

Also, any information on the floor thickness, and coating?

Thanks,
Gavin

Gavin,
We will have the Hennie Bow at Expo 2011 for sure as it is coming over via air shipment in a few weeks. As for the Safari Bow and Rambler we will most likely not get them delivered for the Expo as they are being shipped in our container. They should arrive around mid April.
As for the floor thickness, it is a 550 gram weight PVC which is approx. 3 to 4 times thicker than most tent floors. The floor also has welded seams and no stitching.
As for the coating. Instead of using a coating they use what is called dyna-proofing which uses a sponge technology to get the appropriate treatments to the core of the tents canvas. The treatments given during the sponging process are mildew resistance, fire retardant, water proofing and color dye. The canvas is a Australian product.
If you really are interested be sure to watch the 4 videos provided here:
http://www.kangarootentcity.com.au/welcome/page55.php#Campmor_Canvas_Tents

These guys really know their tents in Australia and are very high on the Campmor brand.

Hope this helps!

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Here is a little more information on the Campmor Outdoor tents.

Equipt strives to bring the overlanding community what we consider to be the best vehicle expedition equipment available on the planet. Campmor Outdoor tents are by our estimation the toughest tents available on the market. They fit very well with the other lines we offer.

The Press Release was just published in the Expedition News section, and can be seen here.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=823009#post823009

"Campmor Outdoor" is the full company name. They are based in Johannesburg South Africa, established in 1995, and has no relation to the retailer Campmor of New Jersey. We will be using the Campmor Outdoor name to promote their product as it is their name. They are two unique and separate entities, and should be able to stand as such.

Campmor Outdoor makes a very significant line of tents, from 2 man tents to complete canvas lodges. We will have their line of tent up on our site shortly, detailing all of the models available. As we launch this line in the US, our initial stocking offer will be the 3 models Ben mentioned and special orders for other models are openly welcomed.

Here are the prices for the models we will have in stock in April

Safari Rambler, 83"L x 83"W x 73"H $755.00
Safari Hennie Bow, 95"L x 95"W x 73"H $845.00
Safari Bow, 118"L x 118"W x 77"H $1095.00

We will be building a section on our site for this line very soon. Please stay tuned.

Cheers,

Equipt

That sounds great! We are really excited to show these tents off. We'll see you there.

Cheers,

Equipt

Howdy!

Yes there sure is. We have launched our Campmor Outdoor section on our site. Here is the link.

http://www.equipt1.com/companies/campmor-outdoor/

Our product launch at the Overland Expo went very well. Everyone was impressed with the construction and materials. Our exhibitor space was right next to Overland Journal and their monster canvas lodge. The Campmor Outdoor Safari Hennie Bow looked like a small cub keeping close to mom. Beverly Edmonson decorated the tent in full safari regalia. Down right impressive.

Thanks,

Equipt

Unfortunately I don't. I was incredibly busy there, and didn't get a shot. I hope Ben has a couple. I can offer this shot from the Dinner in the Desert outing right after the Expo. We went for a couple day outing with the Overland Gourmet and No Limit X groups. Quite a nice shot, and a great time. Nigel Caffiene actually purchase our Hennie Bow demo at the show.

Cheers,IMG_9096-Edit-web.jpg

Equipt

Thank Ben. He does a terrific job.

Ben and Beverly are currently at the Overland Rally in Asheville NC, mixing it up and having a good time. We sent a Campmor Outdoor Safari Bow back with Brian McVickers to the Rally for them to use. We should see some great photos coming back from them after the weekend. Looking forward to that.

Nigel Caffiene

Gentleman Scholar
Hello Gentlemen, I was the fortunate overland that managed to talk Equipt out of their tent at Overland Expo 11.

Fact: I freaking love this tent! Actually, it is pitched in my front yard currently under some shade trees by my Jeep.

The tent itself is made from excellent quality materials and constructed together in such a way that it's presentation is better than a Tom Ford suit. It has excellent headroom inside to stand up and change your clothing. The ventilation is good, that I was taking naps comfortably in the heat of the day when I was at Lake Travis on Momerial Day weekend. There is room for two 6 foot cots and still have room to store more gear. What I like about the tent, is I can store all my gear from my Jeep inside the tent if need be. However, I know you are a family of four and might want to go with the next size up.

The tent itself isn't too terribly difficult to setup or take down. With it being new, the clips that attach the tent to the steel poles do eat at your thumbs. This can be averted by simply wearing leather work gloves.

Acting on Ben's advice, I did replace the original stakes with some tempered steel ones from Snow Peak. Therefore making the tent near bombproof or shockwave-proof... nevermind...

Last Memorial Day weekend at Lake Travis everybody was having a bugger of a time with their tents and awning in the near 30 mph wind gusts. Well, except for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94