Syncro vs. 4x4 Ford?

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Not sure a Ford 4x4 would fit :p

DSC_6482.jpg

A Ford 4x4 would tear the entire tree and root system from the ground and drag it along behind it to clear the rest of the road for your tiny little tires, then use it for firewood at the campsite :victory:

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
A Ford 4x4 would tear the entire tree and root system from the ground and drag it along behind it to clear the rest of the road for your tiny little tires, then use it for firewood at the campsite :victory:

Hahaha ya cause that's tough!!

Big tires = bro cool ;)

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Hahaha ya cause that's tough!!

Big tires = bro cool ;)

I knew that would get a rise... I really dig the syncro's but could never afford one, and the family is too big for one now anyway. Maybe a great retirement rig for touring with the wife if she puts up with me that long.

TroySmith80

Adventurer
For some reason I can't seem to get the link to embed but the link is solid so click away! :ylsmoke:

http://vimeo.com/18060876

That looks like a fun movie!

I still have major second thoughts about selling my westy. I console myself with the thought that if i find i just can't live without a vanagon, then i'll find myself a tin-top syncro for not TOO much money, and make my own camper out of it.

..."if i find i just can't live without a vanagon"

I'll also have to acknowledge that it's time to seek professional help for my mental-health! :sombrero:

Gvan

Observer
I have been a VW (Porsche and Audi as well) guy all of my life. My girlfriend is has had only VW's or Audi's since 1987 but when it comes to vans she says no way to Westies, Syncro or otherwise. We have a 95 GMC 1 ton van as our do it all vehicle and a 1980 Chevy/Pathfinder for camping and she says the ONLY other van she would consider for us to own is a Pre 08 Ford.

For me I love the way that the VW drive but when it comes to size, parts availability on a trip, power (sorry I am a not going to have a Subaru engine in a V-Dub) and towing capacity I really like the Ford. One negative is the drivers and passengers side foot space in . Plus at least around here for what a Syncro cost you can buy a late model Diesel Ford and convert it to 4x4 for less.

pnwkayaker

Last night exploring in the woods. I didn't find anything to challenging a few cool guy shots but fun none the less :)
I love my Syncro!

DSC_6482.jpg

It looks like you have a box/container in your roof carrier, could you give some more details about it ? Is it waterproof ? Cargo capacity ? Price ? Availability ?

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
It looks like you have a box/container in your roof carrier, could you give some more details about it ? Is it waterproof ? Cargo capacity ? Price ? Availability ?

It's a 1720 used Pelican box that I already had. GoWesty sells them here: http://gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3984&category_id=325&category_parent_id=

I called them up and they were glad to sell me just the locking steel strap part.

I love it! I keep all my tools, spare parts and rarely used but don't leave home without em items up there :) nice thing is with the top popped you can access them from inside the van as well.

otiswesty

Regular guy
But then where do you put your firewood? Not to mention other bits you don't want to keep inside.

Attachments

• Firewood.jpg
    Firewood.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 26

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
I kayak and have a roof rack. But you could still get plenty of wood in and on top of the luggage rack with the straps you have. I use them on my rack and I am amazed by what I can get under them.
Most of my trips are FAR from home and tools trump wood everytime. I always find room for firewood no matter how much gear I have. Usually closer to camp.
Westfalia = Worlds best Sherpa ;)

Last edited:

gene

Little suspension travel

The lack of suspension travel in practically every video and many pics I see of Synchro's leads me to believe a seriously compromised off-road ability. As an exe professional VW mechanic, I found the Synchros very problematic with weak drive trains, poor ground clearance and wimpy little clutches. Gearing ratios are also too high. Takes a lot of slipping and smoking the clutch, I can't tell you how many clutches I have had to replace in Synchros.

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Yeah, it looks really cool to see wheels in the air, which is very common in the synchro videos.... but it's actually a bad thing. If another vehicle can go through the same spot and keep all 4 tires on the ground, then it's doing much better.

That said, i don't know how other vehicles would handle the spots where you see syncros with their tires in the air. Maybe they wouldn't go through at all? Depends on the spot i guess.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I'd really like to wheel with a Syncro sometime to objectively compare the two off road, not to compete, just compare.

I've been seeing a newcomer in Bellingham with a lifted blue one, racked out on top. It may be my favorite one yet. I'll have to sneek a picture of it.:coffeedrink:

refried

Adventurer
I think I've seen that blue one around, It looks real nice.
I've always liked Syncros but thought they were over engineered and way too complicated. unfortunately all that engineering couldn't be passed on to the factories and produced without problems. I'm sure all Syncro fans have heard about (or saw the receipts) the Westy that had $32,000 worth of warranty work done before the warranty was up (I think the original purchase price was $28,000). I looked at them and really wanted one when they came out but I didn't know anyone who owned a VW in the '80s without some kind of strange problem (it was usually electrical or leaky heads).
I looked at them again before I bought my van and besides being over priced I'd have to do lots of work to it to build it the way I wanted it and it would still be too small and not be able to haul my raft around easily.
I ended up buying an E350 Supervan and will eventually convert it to 4wd, It will end up being alot cheaper and it has a lot more room. I have a small 4wd truck already, I didn't need another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94