Syncro vs. 4x4 Ford?

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I'd really like to wheel with a Syncro sometime to objectively compare the two off road, not to compete, just compare.

pinocchio_nose_grows.jpg

Last edited:

Hellenic vanagon

Unexpectedly safe!

1)US IHS

79ffed3d.jpg

723961c7.jpg

http://www.iihs.org/externaldata/srdata/docs/sr2604.pdf

2)Swedish Folksam

Howsafeisyourcar1-1.jpg

(The VW VANAGON is the above mentioned European model VW Caravelle 80-91).

Hello from Greece!

My first post here, and hope these, not so well known facts, interest you!

My Vanagon Syncro is back in Europe from Laconia, (Nova Scotia, Canada), bought in 1993, as used, in Greece. Now it has two lockers and a 420 bhp biturbo Audi V6 MTM engine. (Still not running after the last modification).

With its superior in road, (firstly), 4x4 visco engaged system and independent suspension, saved twice my life, helping to avoid the consequences of a sudden very slipery road surface!

I will never sell it!

:)

Last edited:

zuren

Adventurer
It's a 1720 used Pelican box that I already had. GoWesty sells them here: http://gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3984&category_id=325&category_parent_id=

I called them up and they were glad to sell me just the locking steel strap part.

I love it! I keep all my tools, spare parts and rarely used but don't leave home without em items up there :) nice thing is with the top popped you can access them from inside the van as well.

Not to get off topic but you can get them here much cheaper:

http://www.nalpak.com/Pelican-1720

I also mulled the VW van vs. fullsize van vs. Astro van question. I'm definitely a fan of VW (other car is a VW Passat wagon 4motion) but the prices being commanded for a Westy or Westy Syncro for a 20+ year old vehicle is beyond my means and reasoning. I originally started my quest for a 4WD vehicle looking for a CJ-8. They were either restored and $25k or $10k and needed a lot of work. I also wanted the ability to pull a small trailer and/or boat so a fullsize that I was able to easily convert was the direction I went. I still admire the VW vans though.

Hellenic vanagon

Αutomation, accuracy and comfort!

A very smooth, accurate and technical pass! (both lockers engaged):

Doka Syncro (Doka: Double cabine)

Last edited:

Patman

Explorer
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Syncro, and it amazes me with its capabilities every time we take it out.

But.....there is always a but. If you take size and mileage out of it, a properly converted fullsize will be more capable in the rough stuff every time.

Daily driver/expedition (read "mild") wheeler the Syncro wins hands down (if you can live with the lack of highway speed) IMHO.

Allroader

Observer
Hi guys,
Well we also have owned many Syncro's and must say they are very capable in diffrent terrains. But their are some draw backs, the original engine are very weak and Rust. Though they do have a very high cult Factor.
But a US Truck have some advantages. Able to get newer models (less Rust) and some have good engines. Drawback will be no Diff Locks and generlly larger (which could also be a +)

Hellenic vanagon

Α very wild camper!

Some Jeeps are trying το do what a, (loaded?), camper, unexpectedly, does!

(Αpplauses)

Last edited:

1sweetvan

Adventurer
The biggest drawback to having a Syncro, seems to me at least, listening to all that Euro Techno music.

Off course if I build a UJoint van, I'll have to listen to Metal.:sombrero:

Patman

Explorer
The biggest drawback to having a Syncro, seems to me at least, listening to all that Euro Techno music.

Off course if I build a UJoint van, I'll have to listen to Metal.:sombrero:

I thought
Syncro = Dead
UJoint = ThrashMetal
SMB = country

I'm good with Techno, and Thrash Metal, could do without country.

I think the biggest drawback of any van are the automatic stereotypes associated with them. Even by the average owner of them.

Syncro/Vanagon/Bus owners are generally the friendliest, but also seem to get labeled (often rightfully so) as hippie, slacker, beatnick, peace protesting, get me another bumpersticker kind of folk. But also the most accepting, non judgemental people on the "road". Are they into the bus because of the "counter culture", or into the "counter culture" because of the bus? Are VW's automatically drawn towards burning man, micro brews, and tequila?

FullSize USDM Van owners can fit into many sterotypes, Retired wanderer, Rocker Thrash Dirtbiker, registered nondesireable, Soccer mom (if it has windows)

It's just odd to me, that Vans have an automatic stigma with many. Can't it just be a tool to explore, like any other offroad capable vehicle?

When my neighbor found out I had very conservative views, he was amazed and said "but you're an immigrant and drive an old Volvo wagon and a VW Bus????"

r_w

Adventurer
Anything but rap...

What about the white ford van stereotype?? Chain gang or Church group??

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I thought
Syncro = Dead
UJoint = ThrashMetal
SMB = country

Syncro/Vanagon/Bus owners are generally the friendliest, ...But also the most accepting, non judgemental people on the "road". Are they into the bus because of the "counter culture", or into the "counter culture" because of the bus? Are VW's automatically drawn towards burning man, micro brews, and tequila?

They may be the friendliest..to eachother! There are atleast 2 dozen Vanagons running around Bellingham on any given day. I get the big stink eye from all of them except one; a mechanic at the VW dealership who stopped me in a parking lot to give me major props for my van.

Astro = Hall & Oates ? :(

My van usually blasts Canadian am sportstalk; aka hockey talk 24/7 until I get a little south of town and lose the signal, then it's anything from Anna Schaad to Zappa, from Bryan Ferry to Us 3, from The Cult to The Patio Kings; Jeff Beck to Hank Garland; pretty much any but rap or polkas,.

Patman

Explorer
Astro = Hall & Oates ? :(

My van usually blasts Canadian am sportstalk; aka hockey talk 24/7 until I get a little south of town and lose the signal, then it's anything from Anna Schaad to Zappa, from Bryan Ferry to Us 3, from The Cult to The Patio Kings; Jeff Beck to Hank Garland; pretty much any but rap or polkas,.

I suppose there is some hippie exclusivity snob thing going on. I remember the same before I got mine.

I'm a huge Astro fan, but around here 95% of them are used for migrant farm worker transport, that's their "stigma" :)

So Astro=mexican polka

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier