Rolling Studio - FG Camper Conversion

HowardH

Adventurer
Fantastic build. Nicely done. Thanks for sharing. If you said already I missed it. What are the final dimensions of the box? Length, width and height?

alan

Explorer
Well done!! I'm very jelous, it make me want to speed up the restoration and hit the road:smiley_drive:

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Great looking truck and it is great to see you guys are out there using it.
Keep the pics comming along too please.

john lovett

Observer
Fantastic build. Nicely done. Thanks for sharing. If you said already I missed it. What are the final dimensions of the box? Length, width and height?

Hi Howard,
The box is 11'6" long, 5'3" High and 6'7" wide. The top rises just under 2 foot and the box wall thickness is around 2".

john lovett

Observer
Well done!! I'm very jelous, it make me want to speed up the restoration and hit the road:smiley_drive:

Cheers Alan,
I've enjoyed following you create a canter truck from a pile of metal - what an amazing job! (thought you were mad when I read your first post with the rusty yellow truck)
Like a lot of other people, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished and on the road. It really will be something.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
X2!!!!

Thank you so much for the update and the 'what would we do differently' perspective...

It was really nice to read about this camper and how it has served you. I was delighted to be able to watch the build, and it was lovely to get to look through it again.

I should also ask... Now that you have decided that the top could stand to be taller, have you given any thought to the idea of installing sections where the tent top now is, to raise the roof permanently? Heck if you did it right you could leave it rather modular so that you could take out entire sides for those lovely breezes, and place bug screen in their stead.

Safe travels, and Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

john lovett

Observer
X2!!!!

Thank you so much for the update and the 'what would we do differently' perspective...

It was really nice to read about this camper and how it has served you. I was delighted to be able to watch the build, and it was lovely to get to look through it again.

I should also ask... Now that you have decided that the top could stand to be taller, have you given any thought to the idea of installing sections where the tent top now is, to raise the roof permanently? Heck if you did it right you could leave it rather modular so that you could take out entire sides for those lovely breezes, and place bug screen in their stead.

Safe travels, and Merry Christmas!

Hi Ford Prefect,
I wouldn't bother modifying what we have, but to start from scratch again, I would step the floor and drop the back end to a couple of inches above the chassis. That way the increase in height would only be 8-10" and much of that could be raked at 45 degrees. Sort of like this...
sketch.jpg

...doubt I'd bother though. We are very happy with what we have - perhaps a new cab/chassis in a couple of years?
Have a great Christmas
Cheers
John

Prevailing4u

Your detailed build has been a delight to read. I do like your concept next build. I would still incorporate a pop up so you can get the open air experience and the breezes when available.

We curently have an Alaskan slide on camper with its solid folding sides. When it's popped up it looks more like a conventional U.S. camper. Handy when you don't want to give the impression of camping.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
...doubt I'd bother though. We are very happy with what we have - perhaps a new cab/chassis in a couple of years?

John,

I am sure that your set up would be easy enough to sell should you decide to move on to something different!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Brian

lobo2051

So I know the thread has been dead for a year John, but what have you been up to? Made anymore updates to the rig? Awesome build!!!

john lovett

Observer
Thanks for your interest lobo2051.
A few changes have been made since I last posted.
We have also done some great trips - Tasmania, Victorian high country, Western Queensland.
The more we use this truck the more we like it.

IF8A7695.JPG
Vic. High Country

A storage hatch around 22x30x15 inches has been put into the camper floor.

_floor-hatch-closed.jpg

floor-hatch.jpg

I couldn't find a thin enough awning so, with the help of the local canvas company, made a simple roll out one to fit.

IF8A7819.JPG

The two fold up bikes were always a pain to strap in and remove.
A pair of light weight boxes were built from compressed foam sheet, aluminium and Al composite panel for the lids.
The storage chore is now a lot simpler.

IF8A8172.JPG

bike boxes.jpg

I'm still chewing over the idea of replacing the pop top with a fixed foam and glass/epoxy roof.
The additional height will only be around 280mm (less than a foot).
The front and rear will have a 50 degree rake and the sides 70 degrees.

roof sketch.jpg

The existing pop top has 180mm clearance above my head. the fixed roof will have 60mm. I'm 1800mm (6ft) high.
The clearance can be increased by adding a spacer above the foam gasket if the truck eventually should be sold to someone much over my height.

hiroofsm.jpg

This photoshop mockup shows the existing roof height (Up and down).
The effect on fuel consumption should be minimal.
Insulation will be improved and there will be no evidence of the truck being inhabited - (we often find ourselves camped outside friends houses inner-city Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane).
The other plus is extra storage, full height shower door and zero effort to set up camp.
The down side - extra height, less ventilation, cost/time.
Still Considering?

bog.jpg
Maybe a winch sometime in the future too.

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi John,
Thank you very much for the update. The fixed roof idea sounds great.
Thanks to Lobo, I have read this thread several times now and have enjoyed it very much each time.
Your design and construction skills are amazing. Tons of ideas from your work, thank you !
Please do keep us updated as you folks continue to enjoy :D

lobo2051

John,
I can't give you enough props for the build you have done here. I've been looking this one over and I am taking copious notes to apply to my build. If you had it to do all over again, would you still utilize the same primary construciton material/technique of the ply/fiberglass composite? It appears to be really straight forward to assist in the mock up & layout steps. And finishes out beautifully. Has there been any structural strength issues, off-gassing, or anything that would make you want to consider a different method if you were to do it again?

Thanks again for the build!

john lovett

Observer
Hi Lobo2051,
If I was to start from scratch again I would probably use the same construction method as LeishaShannon has used. Epoxy, ply and foam is light and very strong, but takes a lot of time to achieve a good finish. Starting with pre finished sheets gives the same good insulation, strength and finish with a lot less work - like lego for big kids. LeishaShannon's truck will be light weight, incredibly strong and rigid with all that internal bracing and constructed in a few days rather than months.
Another product worth considering is Monopan - a polycarbonate honeycomb. Very light and strong and can be plastic welded. Many commercial truck bodies are being built this way in Europe.
Hope this helps and good luck with your build.

I should mention there have been no structural problems with the method I used. The original caravan was hammered over many thousands of kilometres of badly corrugated dirt roads without issue. The dry weight including chassis wheels etc. was only 720kgs. Rebuilding it to fit on the canter added 50kgs of Aluminium composite panel to the outside plus a heavier roof, but took off 180kgs of chassis and running gear. When lifted onto the truck, the crane driver estimated the weight around 600kgs. Bonding the internal bulkheads and furniture into the shell makes a really strong structure. The box, before finishing, was rolled all around the back yard to make glassing easier.

DCP01930.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94