FatCity F150 Pre-runner Expo build

FatCity

Observer
After a couple really late nights Ryan and I have been getting the front buttoned up. Made the shouck mounts ect.

Upper Shock mount box:
DSC00873.jpg

DSC00871.jpg

Pulled everything out for welding:
DSC00861.jpg

Frame plates:
DSC00869.jpg

DSC00867.jpg

DSC00879.jpg

DSC00880.jpg

DSC00881.jpg

FatCity

Observer
DSC00883.jpg

Cross tube. I put a AFE filter on to make some room. I gained like 167HP and 32 miles to the gallon extra... :sombrero:
DSC00902.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

FatCity

Observer
9-20-2010:
First trip out was a complete failure...

The axle shaft didnt have enough travel and yanked the C-clip off the end of the stub shafts in the differential, causing it to lose 4WD.
I had to hammer it up a hill which eventually ended in a broken rear Drive shaft flange. No wheel drive...

I had the shafts yank the C-clips out twice so on the 3rd time around I took the snap ring off the CV so it could travel a bit more.
Problem solved. 15K miles later and no issues.

This is a pic of it just before I jumped a tow truck that weekend.
I should have hit it harder though, because I didnt make it all the way over...:
freetowtruckrides.jpg

FatCity

Observer
10-5-2010

Got it back together.
I wanted to eliminate the factory style slip yoke so I found a Chromolly 1350 slip yoke for a C-6 trans that had the same spline as the T-case.
Had to machine a press on sleeve to match the seal surface inside the t-case.
Also had Coast Driveline in Ventura Ca. make me a 3.5" Chromoly 1350 driveshaft with the slip yoke in it.
DSC00931.jpg

Tigged a plug in the end and drilled a 3/8 hole for the bolt. Drilled and tapped the Output shaft on the T-case, which totally sucked and viola! No more slip yoke...

DSC00932.jpg

DSC00933.jpg

DSC00934.jpg

DSC00939.jpg

DSC00941.jpg

FatCity

Observer
Been slowly working on getting the bed organized. Wanted to get the cooler mounted before this weekend’s desert trip...

The bed was a mess during the inaugural run and my poor Engel fridge got bang up pretty good.

I built a rack to pick the fridge up 7" which would give me the room I need to eventually mount an aluminum jack and whatever else I can fit next to it

IMG00484-1.jpg

I used quick release pins on the mounts because the rack will have to come out in order to get the spare out.
DSC00943.jpg

DSC00944.jpg

DSC00945.jpg

One thing’s for sure. The 97-03's bed space is pretty limited so getting the 64qt. cooler in there was a tight fit.
DSC00948.jpg

FatCity

Observer
10-20-2010

Got the fridge mount done. Double sheared it and figured out how to secure it.
DSC00967.jpg

The handles that come on the fridge are solid and stuck out to far to fit in the truck, so I made new swinging handle's.
Wish I'd painted them before the recent rains.
DSC00966.jpg

Secured it with cable and turn buckles. It worked great last weekend in the desert and I wanted to make it a slight pain in the *** to get out so it doesnt get stolen.
DSC00968.jpg

Udate 2-23-2011: I have since decided that I dont like the way it's tied down. It's come loose twice on off-road trips, but I havent fixed it yet. I just keep a closer eye on it...

Last edited:

FatCity

Observer
Update 12-27-10:

Since the last update on this thread we've had several desert trips, a couple trails, Pre-ran 700 miles of the Baja 1000, ran from Barstow to Laughlin to Oatman Az and back via the dirt.
About 1500-2000 fun off-road miles and 6,000 highway. My wife loves it. My daughter loves it and I couldnt really be much happier with it.

The new drive shaft and non-slip yoke have been flawless. I had the rear springs re-arched and an extra leaf added by Deaver right after the Baja trip which helped hold all the weight I have back there and seemed to eliminate most the axle wrap.

The shock hoops only had one X-tube which broke around mile 950 on the Baja 1000 course and had to be fixed then and there. Ready welder to the rescue... It's since been cut off and done with two tubes and a lot more plate work.

Shot the moon thru two cactuses at 60 mph and cleaned off both mirrors at the same time... Turns out they're semi expensive but easy to replace. Next time I'll fold them in.

Needs a cage, so that'll be coming soon.

Other than that stuff it's been a pretty solid little pre-runner/expo truck and my family and especialy myself, have been having a blast with it. :beer:

Couple high lights...
San Javier Mission near Loreto, Baja Sur
DSC01182-1.jpg

Small fish camp out side Puerto Chale
DSC01245.jpg

Not a clue where we were for this one. Baja.
DSC01231.jpg

Awesome beaches just south of Muleje, Baja
DSC01568.jpg

DSC01334-2.jpg

Cross tube fixin in the middle of no where...
DSC01264.jpg

Found some quick sand in Ocotillo Wells. Seriously thought it was going to the bottom for a minute... Hard to explain, but pretty gnarly.
quicksand11.jpg

Running around in the mountains near Big Bear.
F-150-Cleighorn.jpg

Barstow Ca. to Laughlin Nv. to watch the Rage at the River and then on to Oatman Az. to hang in the local Saloon.
DSC01838-1.jpg

DSC01992.jpg

DSC01846.jpg

Loaded
DSC01105.jpg

Last edited:

thecriscokid

Explorer
Who needs a Raptor when you have the skills and experience that you have. Great find of a truck for your plans.Glass and BFG Projects are not cheap bits. Final truck looks like it hauls **s

sniderexciderr

Observer
how did the 37's work out for you before you changed the front suspension? it looks pretty low, was there much lift? i have an expedition i want to put 37's on but keep it low as possible. i'm worried about how they are going to fit. great looking truck by the way.

Humvette

Adventurer
WOW I LOVE IT!!!

Fab:
You are very skilled. I love how it turned out because it is radical yet does not draw too much attention.

Initial buy:
Man you bought the perfect truck for what you wanted! Not many people are good at that.

I am excited to see your future adventures! :smiley_drive:

Man i bought a welder late last year. You have inspired me to go out and burn some rod :wings:

FatCity

Observer
how did the 37's work out for you before you changed the front suspension? it looks pretty low, was there much lift? i have an expedition i want to put 37's on but keep it low as possible. i'm worried about how they are going to fit. great looking truck by the way.

There was no lift when I picked it up originally. It appeared to me that the torsions had been dropped, and I'm pretty sure the rear comes with a block from the factory. That was also missing...
So my educated guess is that it was actually lowered a bit.
The picture in the first post was how it sat when I picked it up.

Plenty of room with the glass fenders, but the 37's will rub on the inner fender seam if you dont cut it out.

Since I went 4" wider on each side the tire doesnt come anywhere close the wheel well seam anymore.

Also, It had 3.55's and it killed the 5.4L.
I put 488's in it and it's much happier, still leaves a bit to be desired but thats the 5.4's fault, I wouldnt suggest going any lower.

WOW I LOVE IT!!!

Fab:
You are very skilled. I love how it turned out because it is radical yet does not draw too much attention.

Initial buy:
Man you bought the perfect truck for what you wanted! Not many people are good at that.

I am excited to see your future adventures! :smiley_drive:

Man i bought a welder late last year. You have inspired me to go out and burn some rod :wings:

Thanks!
I dig the low key look to. Right down to the stock wheels.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior