Ways to Increase the Jeep JK Payload

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
I have a 2011 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon 4 door and the official payload is rated at 1056 lbs. (On the regular 2 door Jeep JK the official payload is rated at 892 lbs.)

I'm adding a roof rack which adds 88lbs, plus I want to carry 15 gallons of water which weighs 125 lbs. and a 5 gallon gas can which weighs about 35 lbs. On top of that I've got a dual battery system which adds about 75 lbs plus an Engel refrigerator which weighs in at 53lbs and a hilift jack that weighs 39 lbs. That's over 400 lbs.

My passenger load is going to be around 350 for three people so I'm left with about 300 lbs for camping gear. A family tent weighs in around 30 lbs, plus I've got stoves and chairs and other gear - three backpacks weighing in at around 30 lbs each - heck even my laptop and it's carrying case are over 10 lbs.

I'm definitely over the 1,056 limit so either I have to start doing some drastic cutting of gear or I have to make modifications to the Jeep. I think I'd rather have increased payload even if I have to pay for it.

A trailer is not an option.

What's the best way to increase payload capacity?

trail-explorer

Adventurer
There is no way to increase the payload capacity of a vehicle, without running the risk of breaking things in the long run, or facing a liability situation if a wreck happens and the investigating authorities determine a vehicle was overloaded beyond factory specs.

Payload capacities are something that's been engineered in to a vehicle with the various components used to build it.

This is a highly debated topic over on a huge RV forum called RV.net

There's hundred of people that thing they can upgrade their 2500HD truck to tow a 40' 5th wheel that has a 2500lb pin weight.

Then there's truck camper guys that want a 10' camper that weights 3500 lbs, and expect to haul it on their 2500HD or 3500 SRW truck.

Desert Dan

Explorer
OME HD Springs or air bags may help level the Jeep and improve handling when fully loaded or overloaded.

Is your Jeep stock or lifted?

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
To expand a bit on Trail-explorer spot on advise. One could add air bags or air shocks to help level the vehicle when loaded near OEM specs, but they don't increase the load capacity.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Get an off-road trailer and carry just tents/bags/blankets/clothes in the JKU and heavy gear (camping/recovery/exploring) gear in the trailer-you can tow 3500 lbs, if you keep the JKU load down !!

To expand a bit on Trail-explorer spot on advise. One could add air bags or air shocks to help level the vehicle when loaded near OEM specs, but they don't increase the load capacity.

Thats what I do-works great !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Suspension, axles, tires, and frame.
I *think* those are the only components that make up the equation that determines the load capacity of a vehicle.
After upgading some of these components, the other ones become the weak point. Obviously the tires are the easiest, and probably the most cost effective as well, to upgrade, and they are usually the first things to change.
Suspension after that, then axles, and finally the frame.

But, you'd likely have to have the vehicle heavily tested with the modifications to get an official increase in the GVWR.

Ludedude

Adventurer
Suspension, axles, tires, and frame.
I *think* those are the only components that make up the equation that determines the load capacity of a vehicle.
After upgading some of these components, the other ones become the weak point. Obviously the tires are the easiest, and probably the most cost effective as well, to upgrade, and they are usually the first things to change.
Suspension after that, then axles, and finally the frame.

But, you'd likely have to have the vehicle heavily tested with the modifications to get an official increase in the GVWR.

I think you're simplifying matters too much. Cooling system, transmission, brakes are all engineered for a specific load capacity as well. You can't just upgrade the tires and suspension and call it good. I'm also curious how you'd go about upgrading the frame?

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I think you're simplifying matters too much. Cooling system, transmission, brakes are all engineered for a specific load capacity as well. You can't just upgrade the tires and suspension and call it good. I'm also curious how you'd go about upgrading the frame?

For this particular situation, I'm going to argue the actual load capacity has nothing to do with the survivability of the engine. :D

And how would you upgrade the frame? More steel added in specific places in specific shapes.

dejablu311

Observer
I think the real question hear is: What is the weakest link holding the capacity back? Spring rates could play a role. Suspension mounting points could play a role. Frame rigidity and design could play a role. Hell, even suspension bushing material could play a role. All of that being said, upgrading the key points here must increase payload. The payload on my heavily modified TJ is going to be much greater than its stock counterpart. I can reason this because I have 3/4 ton axles paired with 3/4 ton brakes which then obviously includes larger axle shafts and bearings. Larger and stronger drive shafts, 2 1/2" solid suspension bushings, reinforcements along the frame, tires with a greater load capacity, 1 ton steering components, reinforced cage, solid body mounts, etc.

You can improve one thing but as soon as you do you must keep in mind that all you have done is create a new weakest link.

I think it would be great to know what parameters the manufacturers must adhere to when calculating an acceptable payload capacity. Are they looking at shocks loads, dynamic stability, braking efficiency, powertrain strains, crash testing etc? Not having a single clue what the driving force behind coming up with these otherwise arbitrary numbers is, my first guess is that the manufacturers don't want to be replacing suspension and drivetrain parts under warranty so they make the payload numbers a good deal lower than what the vehicle can actually handle.

The reality is that overloading your jeep a couple times out of the year with camping equipment is not going to hurt it. However, if you want your jeep to perform as well on the street fully loaded as it would otherwise then up grades are in your future. Suspension, tires, and brakes should be the starting points. Emergency avoidance should be your primary concern. These are things that can not be avoided. This is the realm of dynamic stability and brake performance. All of the other mods like upgraded axles can be avoided as long as you have the presence of mind to just pull line instead of having to make it up that last ledge because your buddy already did. Try to think about how you and your vehicle would react if you suddenly had to switch lanes or do an emergency stop. When overloaded it will feel sloppy and react slowly. The stock shocks are valved to handle stock weight so a heavier shock will help. Same goes for the springs. I shouldn't even have to talk about tires. You get what you pay for and yes, the load rating matters. As for the brakes, there is a huge misconception in the public eye when it comes to brakes that bigger is better. In almost all cases this isn't true. Try a hi performance brake pad from a manufacturer that deals with motorsports on a regular basis. Hawk has a wide range and will be able to get you in the right direction. When you are doing enough emergency stops back to back that you actually manage to fade a performance pad then its time to get bigger brakes.

Hope this helps.

Cityslicker

Observer
I think the real question hear is: What is the weakest link holding the capacity back? Spring rates could play a role. Suspension mounting points could play a role. Frame rigidity and design could play a role. Hell, even suspension bushing material could play a role. All of that being said, upgrading the key points here must increase payload. The payload on my heavily modified TJ is going to be much greater than its stock counterpart. I can reason this because I have 3/4 ton axles paired with 3/4 ton brakes which then obviously includes larger axle shafts and bearings. Larger and stronger drive shafts, 2 1/2" solid suspension bushings, reinforcements along the frame, tires with a greater load capacity, 1 ton steering components, reinforced cage, solid body mounts, etc.

You can improve one thing but as soon as you do you must keep in mind that all you have done is create a new weakest link.

I think it would be great to know what parameters the manufacturers must adhere to when calculating an acceptable payload capacity. Are they looking at shocks loads, dynamic stability, braking efficiency, powertrain strains, crash testing etc? Not having a single clue what the driving force behind coming up with these otherwise arbitrary numbers is, my first guess is that the manufacturers don't want to be replacing suspension and drivetrain parts under warranty so they make the payload numbers a good deal lower than what the vehicle can actually handle.

The reality is that overloading your jeep a couple times out of the year with camping equipment is not going to hurt it. However, if you want your jeep to perform as well on the street fully loaded as it would otherwise then up grades are in your future. Suspension, tires, and brakes should be the starting points. Emergency avoidance should be your primary concern. These are things that can not be avoided. This is the realm of dynamic stability and brake performance. All of the other mods like upgraded axles can be avoided as long as you have the presence of mind to just pull line instead of having to make it up that last ledge because your buddy already did. Try to think about how you and your vehicle would react if you suddenly had to switch lanes or do an emergency stop. When overloaded it will feel sloppy and react slowly. The stock shocks are valved to handle stock weight so a heavier shock will help. Same goes for the springs. I shouldn't even have to talk about tires. You get what you pay for and yes, the load rating matters. As for the brakes, there is a huge misconception in the public eye when it comes to brakes that bigger is better. In almost all cases this isn't true. Try a hi performance brake pad from a manufacturer that deals with motorsports on a regular basis. Hawk has a wide range and will be able to get you in the right direction. When you are doing enough emergency stops back to back that you actually manage to fade a performance pad then its time to get bigger brakes.

Hope this helps.

U joints

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Huh?!

Okay, I think that you guys are really getting a little extreme here. He is not planning on hauling a camper or a pulling a 40' fifth wheel trailer. He is looking at being able to carry a little more camping gear.

I ran a '97 Jeep Cherokee for 13 years. I ran it at max or over the max payload quite a lot successfully. You just have to be wise and understand that it is not a 3/4 ton truck. To answer your questions, to make it able to carry a few hundred pounds of gear, look into heavy duty OME springs, or air bags as mentioned earlier. The next thing to maybe consider is breaking. When you add more weight, you need to be able to stop it. Even if you decide to pull a small trailer. A larger caliper with an upgraded pad would probably help things. Your Jeep axles and frame will handle more weight. Just be smart, and you'll be fine. Your axels aren't going to snap or your frame crack from a few hundred pounds.

Last edited:

bob91yj

Resident **************
I agree with the opinion that overloading (within limits) a few times a year isn't going to kill your Jeep. When driving it at max capacity, drive within the vehicles limits allowing more time for stopping, avoid sharp quick turns, don't firewall the throttle going up hills, etc, and you should be fine.

Stiffer spring rates, better shocks, and tires rated for the load would be the 3 most effective means of dealing with the overload as far as driveability IMO. Air shocks may be an effective option over air bags for leveling it out when loaded.

Honestly, I've never even looked to see what the load rating is on my '05. I'll bet I've exceeded the factory ratings on more than one occasion!:sombrero:

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
He is not planning on hauling a camper or a pulling a 40' fifth wheel trailer. He is looking at being able to carry a little more camping gear.

JCMatthews hit the nail on the head. As best I can figure, I'm at about 1,400 lbs of payload right now, so I need to lose about 350 lbs of gear to stay within the factory limit.

I'll be taking some really long trips, so this won't be a one weekend overload and then back to normal. I don't want to risk damaging my Jeep and I don't want to kill anyone on the highway either so I'm going to try to cut down the amount of weight I'm carrying.

One thing I'm looking at is to just cut everything down a little bit in size. Instead of grabbing the gallon jug of bleach out of the laundry room, I'll put some in a pint bottle and bring that. Instead of the big bottle of Dawn off the back of the kitchen sink, I'll put some of it in a small plastic bottle. I've already figured that I can save 100 lbs by downsizing containers to smaller sizes - but I still need to find another 250 lbs. to get rid of.

My recovery gear weighs in at a whopping 80 lbs. -- hilift jack at 29 lbs. 25' of 3/8" chain at 39 lbs and the Hilift Offroad kit at 12 lbs + some D rings and tow straps. I'd hate to cut out my recovery gear but that's an easy (and tempting) 80 lbs to get rid of.

Even with all that I'm still 170 lbs over the payload limit. To go further, I'm going to have to start cutting into the fun stuff, like hunting and fishing gear, or the luxury stuff like the canopy, tent, chairs and lantern.

Does anyone know how much the back seats in a Jeep JK Unlimited 4 door weigh? I wonder how much weight I'd get back if I rip out the back seats? They are 60/40 split seats. I wonder how much the 60 part weighs, that would still leave me with 3 passengers total.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles