gxv vs earthroamer

GR8ADV

Explorer
Anybody done a comparison between the GXV uxv and the earthroamer with respect to, well, everything including price?

Last edited:

18seeds

Explorer
With an investment as large as an ER or GXV I would side with GXV soley on the history of the company. I think both make great products but ER already has a damanged report card. From my POV GXV has weathered the so called "bad economy" better.

trailsurfer

Explorer
With an investment as large as an ER or GXV I would side with GXV soley on the history of the company. I think both make great products but ER already has a damanged report card. From my POV GXV has weathered the so called "bad economy" better.

Having just made the choice of an ER over a GXV, I obviously wouldn't agree with your statement. Both GXV and ER build fantastic vehicles and stand behind their products. ER has come out of the bad economy a better and stronger company at great cost and sacrifice by Bill and his team.

If I wanted a "full" size Overland vehicle, I wouldn't hesitate to go with GXV. But for the F-550 vehicles, I just like the build and "style" better of the ER.

It is fantastic that we have 2 great companies and vehicles to debate about!

Last edited by a moderator:

dzzz

Assuming a proper structure the probability of significant problems is really in the cab/chassis anyways. If either company disappeared a year or two after purchase it wouldn't be a disaster for the buyer. The base truck is warrantied and the camper parts are fixable by many other sources.
From what we've seen so far the initial large depreciation is the "risk"; The buyer had better be sure he will use the vehicle or faces a huge financial penalty for changing his mind.
My perception is ER is a more refined, focused product, with GVX doing more variety and customization. I expect most buyers don't have too much trouble deciding between companies. Hopefully there's enough business for two healthy companies.
Neither company has a proper "world truck" to build on. Fortunently North America is a big place.

GR8ADV

Explorer
I expect most buyers don't have too much trouble deciding between companies.

I guess I will do some more research. You are correct that it really comes down to the box and the workmanship, as the 'truck' is the same. Thanks for your thoughts.

michaelvanpelt

Observer
"THE World Truck"

Neither company has a proper "world truck" to build on. Fortunently North America is a big place.

All are good posts but I want to share my opinion that the best chassis for global travel is a Mercedes, and we offer 2 models in the U500 Unimog "Safari" and the 1017A "Global Traveler" The 1017 is also known as the Atega.
I believe the Mercedes is "THE World Truck"
It really is a phenomenal platform or chassis.
The serviceability of Mercedes is second to none. Mercedes dealerships are found in even the smallest towns all over the globe and the service technicians are trained on the latest Mercedes systems globally. And Mercedes trucks seem to use basically the same components as far as I can tell on the Unimogs, Actros, and Atega models, and these are in use all across the globe. I don't think it gets any better than that.

GR8ADV

Explorer
I was assuming that by DZZZ saying that niether "have" a world truck to work with he was referencing the Ford f550's in question not in what the company has to work with. But I could be wrong.

Carl

Observer
comparison

You bring up a very good point. It would be great to see a "side by side" comparison of these vehicles.
At least all of the specs, systems, capacities, etc...

I agree a Mercedes is a "world truck". I have had
no problems finding dealers (Mercedes,Fuso,Freightliner)
that can work on the U500 in Australia. But parts can take
up to 2 wks i.e. air tank pressure senders since they
aren't stocked in country (from Germany). Fortunately thetruck
works with bad readings.
Thebig problem is finding a good Mercedes truck (U500 or
other) in the US!!!!

Charlie

EMrider

Explorer
Anyone in the market for a large and off-road capable expedition vehicle is almost certain to take a serious look at both ER and GXV's vehicles.

I'm very glad to see at least two companies serving this market.

At some point in the future, I'll very likely buy something like the ER or the GXV on the f-550 platform. Right now, the SMB does a great job. But when the kids are grown and it is time for my wife and I to spend some serious time on the road, the SMB ain't gonna cut it. I could be comfy with a sleeping bag, a bivy and a shovel for toilet duty. My wife demands a bit more in the comfort area and that is where these vehicles really shine. They can get you there and back, with nearly all the comforts of home.
R

dzzz

I should have said we (North Americans) don't have a good new world truck, with the exception of the Fuso FG on the light end.
As Michael knows there's about 150 U500NA in North America. The latest being 2006 I believe. But I guess if someone wants one they can find one to buy with some effort, so that does count as available.
I just got back a half hour ago loading my U500 for shipment to the west coast. Every time I see it I'm impressed. But in some ways for North America I would prefer a F550. The U500 attracts a lot of attention.
One of several factors that drove me from the F550 to the U500 was the Navistar engine. The new engine and transmission are a big improvement. When I went into a commercial Ford dealer in 2009 the salesman told me not to buy the truck (diesel). That's really a low point for Ford.
I would have no hesitation buying the new F550 except for world travel.

EMrider

Explorer
I should have said we (North Americans) don't have a good new world truck, with the exception of the Fuso FG on the light end.
As Michael knows there's about 150 U500NA in North America. The latest being 2006 I believe. But I guess if someone wants one they can find one to buy with some effort, so that does count as available.
I just got back a half hour ago loading my U500 for shipment to the west coast. Every time I see it I'm impressed. But in some ways for North America I would prefer a F550. The U500 attracts a lot of attention.
One of several factors that drove me from the F550 to the U500 was the Navistar engine. The new engine and transmission are a big improvement. When I went into a commercial Ford dealer in 2009 the salesman told me not to buy the truck (diesel). That's really a low point for Ford.
I would have no hesitation buying the new F550 except for world travel.

My interest in the f550 has a lot to do with Ford's new 6.7psd motor. The initial reports and owner reviews has been quite good. I hope that Ford really did nail it with this motor. By the time I'm in the market, the 6.7psd will be a very well calibrated variable.

R

Cat Jockey

Observer
Neither company has a proper "world truck" to build on.

I don't know if I agree with that at all in 2011. This is a map of only their manufacturing plants worldwide:
http://corporate.ford.com/about-ford/global-operations

They are manufacturing Fords on all of the 6 available continents. That is just manufacturing facilities, not parts and service stations. I tend to think that I could get Ford parts sent to 99% of places where Mercedes ships to. Satellite internet is global as well. If you have internet service, you have access to a factory trained mechanic. Sitting at is home in the middle of Iowa. Drinking a beer. Walking me, step, by step, through a diagnosis and repair procedure. On a forum about Ford trucks or Ford diesels, like Expo.

While Mercedes is certainly better established, I believe that with the internet, better global shiping and a world that grows smaller every day, I can get Ford parts pretty much anywhere I could get Mercedes parts and also with the Net, I have access to Ford factory trained mechanics, willing to help me for free.

The internet is pervasive and powerful. It makes Ford platforms a more usable world wide expo platform. Doesn't hurt that in the last couple decades Ford has done a good job establishing a global footprint and presence.

Maybe I am a fool (wouldn't be the first time), but I wouldn't hesitate to take a Ford F Series or E Series (Class 3 and above) on any continent (excluding Antartica) for fear of being unable to obtain parts or service knowledge. And I would definitely take a Ford worldwide before a Chevy or Dodge. But, I am a bit biased as I have a Class 3 E-350 Cutaway chassis I am going to start on in about 6 months. I have given this quite a bit of thought, and again, ignorance is bliss and perhaps I am a fool, but I am going to scrap the 460 and convert to diesel, using the diesel powerplant that works best for my needs, be it the new Ford, an International, Cummins, etc. - any popular US engine (the might be a fool part with any popular US engine), I can get parts for worldwide, as well as worldwide service help from a factory trained mechanic via net.

Not trying to be offensive, so feel free to point out any flaws in my thinking.

Last edited:
Last week an air pressure sensor stopped working in my Mercedes.
BTW it works now.
I found a Fuso/Mercedes dealer 10km from where the vehicle was
stored. There are dozens of dealers that service Mercs just
in Queensland. In 8000km I haven't seen a single Ford dealer.
Are you really going to take a non stock homemade truck
overseas?

Charlie

dzzz

ER had a F550 with an engine problem break down in Russia that the owners eventually left and came home.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The Ford diesel is not a "world" engine like Mercedes or Fuso. It's made for the North America market. I believe the truck that broke had the Navistar diesel, but it doesn't seem to be one that was used outside North America.

Mercedes expects to help their truck owners anywhere in the world. Ford will wonder what the heck your doing in Oz with an F550. How are you going to run full engine diagnostics in Oz? Clearly a mechanic trained on the engine and tranny can fix the truck with the right tools by ordering parts air freight. But it's the "trained mechanic with tools" part that's the problem.

Realistically any truck could have a breakdown in a place where repair is difficult. These types of trips have to be viewed as an adventure. People who need to keep to a schedule should probably take a cruise.
But then there's the low sulfur diesel issue.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles