New here and building a multi use trailer....

habbyjs

Hey guys, i've been doing some research and cannot find what i am looking for so i figured i would show you what i want to build and see if it's been done before. I have a 4'x8' utility trailer with 30x9.5r15 at's. i use the trailer for hauling things around (mowers, mulch, soil, and various parts and things) Since we've got a pickup now, i wont be using the trailer as much for hauling things but I still want to keep it versatile to use as a camper and a hauler. so what i plan on doing is using two 8 foot tool boxes on the side of the trailer, and placing a truck cap (hopefully a contractors cap) on the tool boxes and make it into a camper. I only need it to sleep 2, so it should be roomy enough for that. this is a pic of what i was thinking on building. Let me know what you think or if you've seen it done before.

45467_834390133554_23329667_45018679_821924_n-1.jpg

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I thought about doing that with my current trailer before I threw down money on a Globetrotter tent. I think it's an awesome idea, I just wanted something I could stand in. I think it would be great for all other circumstances though.

-

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I dig it. I'm in the middle of a similar, though somewhat smaller, build. I just couldn't bring myself to fill up all that versatile cargo space with hard-mounted gear. Instead, kitchen and camp items go in "tool" boxes all around, the fridge/battery/solar go in a tongue box. Jerry cans and firewood can ride in the cargo box on trips, and around town I still have a handy utility trailer. I think I'm going to go the trailer-top tent route on mine though.

Its a shame you aren't closer, there's a guy about an hour from here selling a pair of 8-foot tool boxes just like the ones in your sketch.

habbyjs

I dig it. I'm in the middle of a similar, though somewhat smaller, build. I just couldn't bring myself to fill up all that versatile cargo space with hard-mounted gear. Instead, kitchen and camp items go in "tool" boxes all around, the fridge/battery/solar go in a tongue box. Jerry cans and firewood can ride in the cargo box on trips, and around town I still have a handy utility trailer. I think I'm going to go the trailer-top tent route on mine though.

Its a shame you aren't closer, there's a guy about an hour from here selling a pair of 8-foot tool boxes just like the ones in your sketch.

i have boxes, i just need a cap. But i've thought about a regular truck cap, and it wont make a good tight seal with a tailgate kind of doors. so i have my eye out for a contractors cap with the double doors on the back, plus have enough storage for all my gear, food, wood,spare trail parts, and whatever else i would need. something like this.... http://shoplocalleominster.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/ARE-DCU-1.jpg

habbyjs

I thought about doing that with my current trailer before I threw down money on a Globetrotter tent. I think it's an awesome idea, I just wanted something I could stand in. I think it would be great for all other circumstances though.

-

yeah, a roof top tent would be cool, but i dont have the money for one. College puts a real hurt on my wallet. So i figure for about 300-500 bucks I should have a multi functional trailer.
I found this that the guy made me a good deal on: http://mansfield.craigslist.org/pts/2193380807.html I just need to find a day to go get it.

If i cannot get a cap to work, im going to find a nice tent that i can make fit some fold out platforms.

Rockdawg350

Observer
I like the storage box idea...can't have too much storage! A friend and I are planning to build a trailer for him and your idea is very similar to what we were talking about. Keep the photos coming...can't wait to see what you come up with. It's time to go:camping:!

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Side toolboxes and a camper shell. That's a cool, simple idea that works several ways when you can easily pop the top off of it. I plan to have some shorter-length side-mounted boxes myself along with a side-suspended table and some way to mount up an awning. To me the best gear almost always has more than one use and it's even better when somebody had to build it for themselves because it didn't exist for their specific needs. There is a lot of both here in the Trailer forum. I will be slowly getting there myself this year with a 4'x7' heap I bought to build up for mostly utility and some camping use. Looking forward to your ideas and your build. Once I really get started I'll be sure to share, too.

IMG00029-20110129-1809.jpg

habbyjs

so i have gone a little different route with this. I never could get a call back from the guy with the contractors cap so i started looking for another one. I came across an actual "camper top." its all aluminum, so a lot lighter and quite a bit taller than a contractors cap. now i just need some black paint, windows, and some roof vents for air flow. So i am going to pick it up this upcoming weekend! here are some pics of it. What do you think?

kent.edu

EDIT****Sorry for the huge picture. i dont know how to make it smaller. If a Mod can shrink it please feel free to do so.

habbyjs

So i finally found some free time to work on my trailer. I got the tool boxes on and bought a truck topper. The added waight of the truck cap was too much on the sides of the trailer, so its up for sale, and i am searching for a smaller all aluminum truck cap to use.

the newly for sale topper...
camper001.jpg

camper002.jpg

Compress0.jpg

Compress0-2.jpg

Compress0-1.jpg

the topper is for sale, looking to get $400 BEST OFFER

the trailer and boxes as they are today...
Compress0-1-1.jpg

Compress0-8.jpg

any ideas how to make the sides more sturdy? (keep in mind: limited welding ability :( )

Have you worked on this idea any more. I built a slide in for my truck out of a DCU camper/topper and plan on building a trailer for it to slide onto eventually.

habbyjs

Have you worked on this idea any more. I built a slide in for my truck out of a DCU camper/topper and plan on building a trailer for it to slide onto eventually.

No I haven't worked on it in a while. I started to take it apart actually. I'm going to replace all the wood with some aluminum that I got from some old bleachers so I can cut some weight down on the trailer before I add a heavy truck top to it. I'll post some pictures sometime in the next couple months when I get it finished up.

Frankelson

anyone else ?

This is the route we're going down. Have the topper and now to build the chassis and sides to a reasonable height.
We think we've thought everything through, but if any of you have done it and found any snags I'd be grateful to read them.
TIA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior