Building with EMT?

1sweetvan

Adventurer
I've seen several examples, on the web, of people building Roof Baskets/Racks with EMT (Electrical Conduit). Has anybody here done that? I understand that it is very thin wall, galvanized and not particularly strong. I'm not looking to build a roll cage here, just a solid roof rack. What size did you use, did you bend it yourself, how does it weld?

Thanks, Bob

sasaholic

Adventurer
i made my roof rack out of 3/4 inch emt. i used a regular hand conduit bender for it and it worked great. welded pretty good actually and is stronger than i could have imagined. i can walk around on mine without a problem. just wear a good respirator...if you dont you can die worst case...best case u have a galvinized indused hangover the next morning thats worse than a regular hangover

dsw4x4

Adventurer
I use it unless someone request it not be used. It is plenty strong and pretty light for roof racks. Sand or grind off the galvanize at least two inches back from all welds and your weld will be easier cleaner (not contaminated) and you will not be breathing the fumes. You will also need to sand the rack down before painting otherwise the paint will not stick for long. Good luck and post some pics.
Derek

sasaholic

Adventurer
I use it unless someone request it not be used. It is plenty strong and pretty light for roof racks. Sand or grind off the galvanize at least two inches back from all welds and your weld will be easier cleaner (not contaminated) and you will not be breathing the fumes. You will also need to sand the rack down before painting otherwise the paint will not stick for long. Good luck and post some pics.
Derek

problem is the inside of the tube so u still are breathing it in without a resperator. good tip on prep for paint. even self etching primer and zinc cromate primer wont help much

dsw4x4

Adventurer
sasaholic,
Your right i should of said (not as bad) because those fumes tend to stay in the pipe instead of rising up in your face. Grinding off the gal is more for the quality of the weld than for fumes. Also if you put your work in front of you (on a work bench) instead of under you (on the ground) you are less likely to be breathing the fumes while you work. The other two things you can do is put a light fan blowing directly on your face not the work supplying you with fresh air and not blowing away your shielding gas, or an exhaust fan right next to the work sucking away the fumes. A cheap easy way to do that is to turn on your shop vac and set the hose next to your weld, ideally a long enough hose you can set the shop vac outside the shop/garage. And lastly drink milk before you weld it has something to do with the calcium in the milk will keep you from getting sick. I am not sure how or why it works but it does. I have been welding galvanized for years and it has not affected me none affected me none affected me none!!:snorkel:
Derek

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
EMT is light and has more tensile strength than normal tubing, being galvanised means your project only rusts on the joints.

easily available at your local home depot or lowes............this rack was make using it........and the off the shelf bends too

35mm lower 25mm upper rails with 1/4" X 3" plate as spacers and mounts
25mm cross bars

I would use it again with no issues

DSC_3836.jpg

Nissanrack008.jpg

DSC_3628.jpg

DSC_3530.jpg

DSC_3895.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members