Winter camping in Sportsmobile

Roonie

I have camped many times at the ski mountain with my family of 4 and a dog. I put the skis in the ski rack on top or in the cargo carrier. We put all bags in the front seats and hang the gear from the ceiling to dry overnight. I personally wouldn't want any bigger except maybe an EB van rather than our RB. Make sure it has a built in heater is the best recommendation!

IMG_0747.jpg

DSC_0002-2.jpg

etbadger

Adventurer
We have had a few nights down to -17f. We have a diesel fired furnace that put out plenty of heat, but even with that running and keeping the core air about 70f the issues we found were:

-Around 10-15f or so the floor still gets to be pretty chill, (easily solved with insulated carpet & down booties), but can freeze interior waterlines on the floor.

-With the canvas pop-top, the cool air coming off the canvas walls can make quite a curtain of cold breeze that would prompt us to close the top at ~0f. Much colder and the plasticized canvas and vinyl windows become too stiff to fold up anyway (and perhaps might crack?).

-If the dash vent is left open, a breeze from the front can blow in and cool things down quite a bit in just a few minutes. Some ventilation is good, but with windows you can control it a bit better.

With the pop-top down and furnace on even the coldest nights were quite comfy though.

-Erik

DKB2GO

Observer
I'm looking at buying a Sportsmobile or similar rig for family of 4. We do a ton of skiing. How warm is it in there if I had the top up sleeping 4 parked at my favorite ski resort parking lot?
Im notworried about summer camping but need an all year camping rig for 4
And a 4x4 rig for snow and sandy beaches for kayaking
Any winter campers out there who can offer advice before I buy?

My initial thought on this matter goes to what is likely to be the predominant weather condition under which you'll use the vehicle - warm or cold. It seems, like me, you want to have the flexibility to use it in both conditions. However, how long of a duration are looking to use it? Will it be for a weekend or are you thinking of using it for a week at a time? Withstanding cramped quarters and a chilly night may be fine for a weekend away to ski but could prove to wear on you if it was for a longer duration. Intended use, including weather conditions, is my point.

You may want to look at a Voyager top.

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
my diesel furnace in my RB50 SMB with penthouse top has no problem keeping the truck warm and comfortable in very cold conditions.

however also keep in mind that you will need your plumbing to be winterized "drained" as the standard SMB plumbing install includes some piping and flat plate below the truck in unheated area. It is possible to move those items into the truck and then run the diesel furnance when away from the truck skiing to keep the plumbing warm. of course this is a commitment you would need to maintain in freezing temps (or drain out)..

just wanted to add this to help you think the process thru...

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
I have camped many times at the ski mountain with my family of 4 and a dog. I put the skis in the ski rack on top or in the cargo carrier. We put all bags in the front seats and hang the gear from the ceiling to dry overnight. I personally wouldn't want any bigger except maybe an EB van rather than our RB. Make sure it has a built in heater is the best recommendation!

IMG_0747.jpg

DSC_0002-2.jpg

Okay, this rig is just bad azz!! :bowdown:

Roonie

Okay, this rig is just bad azz!! :bowdown:

Thanks. The SMB's are really cool vehicles. Everywhere I go with the rig I always have gotten stopped and people like to ask questions about it. We went on a long 10 day trip and we lost count after 30 people came up and wanted to check it out in the first 2 days. It happens almost everywhere I go.

pr39

Winter Living (SMB)

Winter living is a SMB can be done. My davis system showed -7 and wind chill of -11.
The inside of the coach that day was at 60 degrees. This was taken last year, 01/03/11
Wintrop WA.

2011-01-03_07-12-32_494.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
Do you wintertime campers have any difficulty closing the pop-up top after it's been open overnight? I'm concerned that the fabric sides could get icy and not fold up properly.

Carl

Observer
east coast winter

Group of us planning Jan 14th in Warwick, NY a Meet & Greet, check it out on SMB forum for info.

carl

86scotty

Cynic
8b86f333508a4a4b6252b8f2bdab5dd7.jpg

8d30ac0ad42906d24d801b7bdbeb7af0.jpg

The furnace keeps me plenty warm.

Phil
:)
You're my kind of sadist Phil! I've looked at these pics before on the SMB forum. I love it. If only we got this much snow! And if only anyone would want to go out and play in it with me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94