What about the DEF system when you travel to Third World countries?

Byrdseye

Observer
I think that the DEF would be the least troublesome part of the equation. The DPF is going to give you trouble using anything but Ultra low sulfur diesel. I would definitely recommend one of the "delete" kits that are available if traveling out of North America so that you can run any fuel that you want. They reflash the ECU and you lose the EGR, DPF and DEF. (An uncorked truck is much nicer to drive as well, just don't get caught in the US!) Post 2007 diesels even require CJ-4 lube oil which are not available in the third world. The additive package in CI+4 oils (much better oil IMHO) will foul the DPF filter. Hope this is helps.

PS Don't buy a 6.0, that engine had over 500 TSB's in it's brief run in Ford trucks. (JMHO)

losfinch

I now that this post is a little old but maybe its time to update some information here...at least in regards to Mexico. ULSD is now sold almost everywhere in Mexico. The PPM has been tested and results posted on other forums showing it to be way below the required PPM levels per USA EPA standards. Emissions delete kits are readily available for most US made diesel pickups via Canada and other countries. They all require, and usually include in the price, a tuner/programmer which will allow the motor to run and not freak out, go into limp mode or throw all sorts of warning lights and codes since the system has been tampered with and sensors have been removed. Most of the delete kits run around $1500-2000.00 USD. The main expense of the kits usually being the required tuner. Many articles have been written and its worth noting that many argue that with the emission delete kits you are probably causing less overall emissions/damage to go out into the world. I have lived permanently in Mexico (36 years) with a non-emissions diesel for 21 of those years. I am about to acquire and nationalize into Mexico a newer USA emission equipped Ford 6.7 diesel and simply plan on doing a delete of all of the emissions related components and use the supplied tuner to keep the motor running happy, healthy and with more power and increased fuel economy. I do not anticipate any major problems with the truck being modified in this way. I will probably drive it down here with all of the emission components in place and then do the delete of those components once it is down here.

Darwin

Explorer
I would think it would be cheaper to buy the truck in Mexico. The ford diesels sold in Mexico come from the factory already deleted. You also would not lose your warranty on the motor by buying in Mexico.

ULSD is not found all over Mexico. The diesel that comes from Pemex 99% of which is of high sulfur content. There is actually less ULSD available now than there was 4 years ago. Can thank AMLO for that.

jkam

nomadic man
Is there a way to trick the DEF system to think that it has DEF, but really you are using some other fluid, like water?

Zuber

Is there a way to trick the DEF system to think that it has DEF, but really you are using some other fluid, like water?

There is also a pre and post sensor on the CAT that senses the exhaust. Your water injection would trigger a post-CAT event.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior