Anyone Do Any Off-roading With A Touareg?

Blackwater11

Just bought my wife a VW Touareg. Anyone use these off-road? Tempted to take it on the beach but a little leery...especially with no tow points.

Storz

Explorer
I was really close to buying one last year and did a ton of reserach, I would not hesitate to drive it on the beach at all. Pop it into 4-low and air down the tires, you'll be fine. I do a ton of beach driving here in NC and can def say that airing down and low range is an awesome combo. Your Toureg will do great.

Lots of videos etc online of people wheeling them pretty hard :)

XJINTX

Explorer
I am sure he will post but one member is bringing his Toureg with us on our Oklahoma trip this month?

I would love to test yours for you in the sand ;) :) I bet it will do great... just go a little prepared to air down and up and bring a mat or sandrail.

anand

They are quite capable, and they have 4 tow points (2 front, 2 rear, just screw in the tow hook!) Most of us who like to do anything off-pavement with our Touaregs have purchased extra tow-hooks so that we don't have to move the single one all over the place depending on the situation.

The factory screw-in tow hook is perfectly fine for recovery, and there is an annual Touareg Off-Road "rally" in Colorado.

In the sand, just be sure to turn ESP off and you'll be fine.

alexrex20

Explorer
ExPo member TexasTouareg takes his truck off-road quite a bit. he even fabs his own skid plates. he has the V8 with locking center and rear diffs.

a Touareg would do great on the beach. if the sand is soft, air down and have fun. otherwise, street pressure and you'll be just fine. just "air up" the suspension so you're not dragging *** all over the sand.

TexasTouareg

Observer
Touareg is fantastic off road, with some good tires it will impress you.

here is the tow point being used:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc8kizkzSuU"]YouTube - Touareg high centered in the mud[/ame]

Testing the skid plate i developed:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T8aeBekaPs"]YouTube - Testing the aluminum skid plate for sale on clubtouareg[/ame]
PM me if you are interested in purchasing one

Some action video from a recent trip.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjStxGx2aJo&feature=channel_video_title"]YouTube - IMG_0587.MOV[/ame]

head on over to www.clubtouareg.com it is a great resource of good people.

What year touareg did you get? what options do you have?

Blackwater11

Touareg is fantastic off road, with some good tires it will impress you.

here is the tow point being used:
YouTube - Touareg high centered in the mud

Testing the skid plate i developed:
YouTube - Testing the aluminum skid plate for sale on clubtouareg
PM me if you are interested in purchasing one

Some action video from a recent trip.
YouTube - IMG_0587.MOV

head on over to www.clubtouareg.com it is a great resource of good people.

What year touareg did you get? what options do you have?

Thanks for the info. I will definitely be interested in buying a skid plate from you. I have a few more things to do to the Jeep then will be moving to the Touareg. It's an 04 Touareg V6. Had one previous owner and only 67,000 miles. Any idea what the bolt size is for the tow hook Had no idea those points were there. After I read the replies, i went out, removed the plastic cover and there they were :) .

TexasTouareg

Observer
Open The lid in the back where the spare tire is and you will have a ring that screws in there. It ISA very coarse left hand thread, prob not able to pick it up just anywhere. Best bet is the dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior