fiberglass dash repair / modification

corax

Explorer
I test fit the dash and found that certain areas had to be trimmed for it to fit properly - all of the trim work was done with a sharp utility knife which made things easier.

The screw holes and edges here . . .
Dash17.jpg

. . . sit on here. See the plastic slot under the screw tab that the dash slides into? I had to sand the fiberglass just a hair thinner than it was to get it to slide in properly
Dash18.jpg

the fiberglass that I originally had wrapped around was cut along this line so the dash will sit on the forward shelf properly
Dash19.jpg

I also had to cut small notches for these clips . . .
Dash20.jpg

. . . . which slide into the dash here
Dash21.jpg

so now that I know the dash fits with the fiberglass on it, it gets one very thin coat of bondo to fill any pin holes or irregularities before final sanding and paint
Dash22.jpg

corax

Explorer
On the 1st gen 4runner, the hardest thing about yanking the dash is taking out the far side passenger vent to get to one of the mounting bolts. One of the quick things I did to make dash removal later easier is break off the locking tab on the dash vents, spring tension from the clip will keep it in place anyway.
Dash25.jpg

3 coats of Rustoleum Hammered and I slid it back into place. It's a bit glossier than I wanted, so I'm gonna live with it for now and I might respray it with dark grey interior paint later - otherwise, the color match came out pretty good

View from the driver's seat
Dash26.jpg

Passenger's side
Dash27.jpg

Since the vents sit recessed in the dash a bit I want to wait 2-3 days for the paint to completely cure before I put them in to avoid scratching the paint.

corax

Explorer
Finished pics and I'm done messin' with it. I used some generic dark grey vinyl interior spray paint to knock the glare off. It's a near perfect color match and fits in well even though there's no texture to it.

7141486_dpl_hvp111_pri_larg.jpg

Dash28.jpg

just gotta touch up the corner of the vent openings where the paint got scraped off pushing the vents in
Dash29.jpg

Dash30.jpg

GlennA

Adventurer
I know that I'm a little late to the party, but the possibilities are endless when working with fibreglass. Just check out some of the high end car stereo stores. Mounting your two way radio on top of the dash comes to mind.

Great job and thanks for the pics so others can see what can be done with a little thought and effort.

corax

Explorer
Mounting your two way radio on top of the dash comes to mind.

There's plenty of dead space behind the dash so I was briefly thinking of making a hole and recessing my Yaesu into the dash, but then I realized it would have been out of my reach on the passenger side - I still have in mind a few ideas on how to use the space behind there though ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior