Help a brotha out: question about tires for a Samurai in Madagascar

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
My sister & brother-in-law are teaching in Madagascar. Yeah, I'm a little jealous too.

They bought a little Suzuki Samurai (I think it's actually a Santana) in pretty decent shape, which is difficult because preventative maintenance is not exactly a practiced theory over there. They named him "Carlos".

MR. BROTHER-IN-LAW said We're trying to order new tires for Carlos and I was wondering if you could help me find some bigger ones that fit. It is a first generation Suzuki Samurai with 205/75-15 tires on it. I want to re-use our wheels but with BFG all-terrain's that are a little bit bigger. I tried to find some forums to figure out how big of tire will fit without too much work, but some of those sights just don't work here. I don't mind doing a little bit of 'clearancing' in the wheel wells or even a mild body lift if that is necessary, but I don't want to do any major suspension work. I really just want some higher ground clearance and knobby all-terrains.

For all you Zuk owners, please let me know what suggestions you have and I'll forward them. I have never even driven a Samurai, but I did stay in a Holiday Express last night :drool:...we would really appreciate the info, thanks.

Here's a few pictures to help identify the rig. He didn't specify what year or anything. This is from their Christmas trip to Morondava...they had a few breakdowns. Got to meet some nice Malagasi folks. Had to get "towed"...
164780_1269113025894_1771895429_498930_4708872_n1.jpg

They had to split up while my sister went for a tow truck...you can see Jay trying to thumb thru a French-English dictionary to talk with the locals :confused:
166456_1269113345902_1771895429_498931_7892112_n1.jpg

The tow truck:
168256_1269115505956_1771895429_498932_1138180_n1.jpg

Sounds like they had a blast. Turns out everyone in the Madagascar coutryside is a "mechanic" so have no fear...

Last edited:

Bigfoot1963

Observer
With out changing out gearing, the biggest you would want to put on there is 235/75r-15's. You may have to trim the bumper on the outer edge a bit. That is a sweet looking little truck. Here is a good forum if you can access it- http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/

Scott Brady

Founder
Slap on some 215/75s. I would keep the tires pretty small overall given their intended use of the vehicle. Be sure to get an LT rated tire and then a plug kit and compressor. That will all work well for them.

stevec

Adventurer
Looks like an early '90's model Santana, probably between '91 and '95. Some LT215/75R15 AT's will fit those wheels (15x5.5") nicely and give good all around traction. LT's tend to run a bit taller than the P-series tires, but will be much stronger and puncture resistant, especially the sidewalls. BFG AT's are availalbe in LT215's or LT235's; I'd stick with the 215's if everything else is stock.

Santana is the name for the Spanish built SJ413/Samurai's sold in Europe - They were built in Spain to avoid the import taxes on Japanese built vehicles. The disadvantage is that the build quality was not as good on the Santana's as on the Japanese built vehicles, so give it a good once over ASAP. The advantages are that they are usually dirt cheap, and had a diesel (Peugeot) option.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Expo comes thru again. Thanks for the good word guys, I'll forward this on to them and hope they put your recommendations to good use.
:victory:

carolinasuby

Small world. My brother also lives in Madagascar. He works for the State Dept at the embassy in the capitol. If they ever need anything dont hesitate to have them look him up. Mike

zukrider

Explorer
a sami is totally capable of 30's as far as gearing is concerned, sure it struggles a little, but it is capable. but, i would go 235/75-15. less to deal with.

just sayn.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Small world. My brother also lives in Madagascar. He works for the State Dept at the embassy in the capitol. If they ever need anything dont hesitate to have them look him up. Mike
Very cool, thanks. I know they have rubbed elbows with folks at the state dept so I wonder if they've met by chance?

carolinasuby

Interesting. My brother's name is Chris Tremann. He is the Regional Security Officer at the embassy. After looking at his facebook page, it seems that he has some festive looking get togethers so maybe they have met in that way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles