Detroit Locker on the street?

1sweetvan

Adventurer
I have a LS Diff, but I'm not too terribly impressed with it and am looking for a simple and effective solution. An ARB seems maintenance intensive and complex. Is anybody using a Detroit Locker on a vehicle that spends quite a bit of time on the street? What are your impresions? Thoughts? I live in the N.W. and snow, ice and freezing rain are a possibility a few moths of the year. I've heard stories on both sides. What say ya'll?

wandererr

Adventurer
I have a LS Diff, but I'm not too terribly impressed with it and am looking for a simple and effective solution. An ARB seems maintenance intensive and complex. Is anybody using a Detroit Locker on a vehicle that spends quite a bit of time on the street? What are your impresions? Thoughts? I live in the N.W. and snow, ice and freezing rain are a possibility a few moths of the year. I've heard stories on both sides. What say ya'll?

As long as you got even tire pressure in the rear and it's setup right it'll be nearly invisible. If you have uneven pressure it'll kick and if it's setup bad it'll kick.....

T.Low

Expedition Leader
My Eaton Posi blew up on me at Vedder Mountain, actually, so I got a Detroit Locker.

So far, the only thing I've noticed in almost three years of it is once on the tight radiused 180 degree hairpin on-ramp from the Alderwood (N. Seattle) to I-5 northbound it started power sliding at a pretty slow speed at the beginning of a slight rain. I felt it early on in the corner and went with it and drifted the entire on ramp and my wife burst out laughing.

But from that experience, I have rethought and would prefer to have a different posi set up for the wet and icey mountain roads. The Detroit has been stellar off road, but I am more concerned with safety on road in bad conditions.

Patman

Explorer
Detroits are great offroad, but on the street, not so much. In the slippery stuff, they outright SUCK!!

Previous to my two current rigs I ran Detroits and lived with the poor onroad manners. One was a Crewcab on 33's, one was a RamCharger on 39.5's setup for the rocks, and one was a springover FJ60 on 35's

All of them basically drove the same. Naturally as the tire height increased and the wheel base decreased, everything was exaggerated, but the same quirks were still there.

Powering through a corner (not on it, just off idle to keep speed up on a mountain highway 45 mph, nothing tight (highway 50 for those who are familiar), let off the gas, and HAVE to correct or end up in the inside lane. Not sliding, just the Detroit being locked and thereby causing a power "push", letting off the gas makes you go where the front tires are pointed, doesn't take much at speed.

In the wet (don't get much ice around here) power sliding is something you do, unless you idle off of corners (slight exaggeration, but you get the idea)

coming up to a stop from a straight street, turn and stop to go down a side street. BANG!!!!!! the locker "unloads", funny to see the person on the corner who thinks you just blew the driveshaft out of your truck, but gets old quick.

These are the things that bugged me about it. But not the only things.

Basically in a turn the inside tire is slipping under power, and therefore the Detroit locks, and you get that wonderful chirp that every teenager loves to hear (as do tiresalesman) If you're really easy on the gas it can be avoided, but its there.

If you can afford a selectable locker, do it! The upkeep is nonexistent when compared to the day to day of a Detroit.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Patman is pretty dead on with his discription. I have run every kind of locker and yes mechanical sucks on the street, in snow or rain they are just about death. I can see tlow liking his on a awd vehicle that is light and underpowered (relatively speaking). If you put your rig in 4wd every time it is wet than it will be tollarable, yet it will still make all of those lovely sounds described by patman. I like my air lockers and I have had no issues with them at all. I have had nothing but trouble with ox lockers and I have not messed with electric lockers but probably will give them a shot soon. Bottom line is if you want your van to handle normal than get selectable lockers. Mechanical lockers if set up correctly are tolerable at best, you will know it is there.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I've had a Detroit in my van since new. You definitely have to be aware that it's there, and adjust your driving style accordingly. I don't get any chirps, and the locker "unloads" every now & then. The frequency of this depends on the type of driving I'm doing. I'd say that it unloads every couple weeks under normal driving.

I like knowing that my rear axle is either locker or blown up, so the Detroit works for me in the rear. But.... I have no problem with an ARB & I usually recommend it to most of my customers.

Another thing to consider is that Detroit lockers affect different vehicles in different ways (wheelbase, weight, etc)

Oh.... And I like the way it acts in the snow :D Easy to kick the rear end out & have some fun!

craig333

Expedition Leader
I have a detroit in my Jeep and you certainly know its there. Its not a daily driver so I don't mind it. I would not however, let just anyone drive it. Someone unfamiliar with it might be very dangerous.

Otoh, its does sometimes negate the need to get out and lock in the hubs. I've forgotten I wasn't in 4wd before.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
My experience is much the same, if ice isnt a factor the Detroit is tolerable on the street on heavier and longer wheelbase vehicles. lighter and shorter they are much more notciable. Slick roads with rain or especially ice can get scary or dangerous. Another thing I didnt see mentioned is that on loose ground off road that is off camber, it pulls you downhill whereas an open diff will keep you driving straight. Strength is a major issue, because Detroits have 1/4 rotation built in to allow the release and ratcheting around corners - this becomes a problem when you are bound up off road and under power; if you break an axle, or in the front a u-joint or locking hub, that side instantly unloads, recoils back and grenades the Detroit internally and that is NOT covered under warranty! ARB lockers when engaged are essentially a spool and therefore will never have this issue because there is no internal play because when off, they are an open differential. For both safety and strength the ARB is a better unit, especially in areas where icy roads are a consideration.

1sweetvan

Adventurer
Thanks for all that input. I should clarify that my van is still 2WD at this point, so that factors in as well.

Also, I've read that not adding, or adding less Friction Modifier will make the LS grip better. Is that true and will there be any side effects from doing that?

chasespeed

Explorer
It can help... for a little while... it wont last that way... plus... it'll be obnoxious after a while....

Chase

Oh, btw, either a selectable locker, or a GOOD limited slip... A Detriot Tru Trac is what I would recommend.... all gear... no clutches....

Last edited:

Lead Dog

Observer
I ran a detroit in my LJ for nearly 2 years and never even thought twice about it being there! i'd do it again in a heart beat!

Nomadcat

It can help... for a little while... it wont last that way... plus... it'll be obnoxious after a while....

Chase

Oh, btw, either a selectable locker, or a GOOD limited slip... A Detriot Tru Trac is what I would recommend.... all gear... no clutches....

I love my Detroit Truetrac in my van. No issues that I have encountered. The whole Torsen thing is brilliant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior