Homemade Hilift accessories

eric1115

Adventurer
Not really home "made" because I didn't really make anything, but I replaced the cotter pin for the foot with a 1/4" square bail pin for easy removal. I leave it off now unless I'm using it because it always rattled on the roof rack.
6VMPjgvCZU02FMZbyzaMtHZWuTx9DtjixbmX5R8H_-v_XduKSPkoycc458GTKeiRTJGQ9_9WqnYAyJsnc8bYKGzJ_JYx8GmqjQQEqv_V_j98LM44OemEzdNzYsEPEVXcK1A5ssdVegXO2O4n-YKWoL7Hv1vl56CBnCv8MmwL=s180-c

Then, with a little filing, a 7/16 double clevis link fits the bottom eye on the jack and makes for the fixed end of the winching system with a short length of 3/8" chain and a grab hook.
cEopLPAbNC18zupgxzWfBTe7cN9bpyB9lKoGLpacYBvu9Co1_QY4up4bUPVqGRzmPChbwXm8xul4qFllXcXmmS_E_s5cp1AM-xlF5ihGHYkzMAEbWCMORa1qOkz8A8iiwAe_n8UF61kenDMqEkINJy-IzTHAWBJCBf2-ylKhK4AAwZ-j_NIJN6yljeuGR1jewHkIiGTzFi5G

I think this is easier and cleaner than using box section steel; no bolts, better angle for the chain, cheaper, lighter, compacter. I had a lift-mate already that I used to attach the chain to the foot of the jack for the climbing part of the winching setup.

I also mounted the jack to the back of my MegaWarrior basket with some Snaparounds I had sitting around, some 5/16" carriage bolts, coupler nuts, and washers. It works great, and only cost me about $6 in hardware. It doesn't lock, and it's not as bombproof as some setups, but it does everything I need it to. I'll try to get some photos and post up, but it's not rocket science!

Eric

windsock

Adventurer
Then, with a little filing, a 7/16 double clevis link fits the bottom eye on the jack and makes for the fixed end of the winching system with a short length of 3/8" chain and a grab hook.
cEopLPAbNC18zupgxzWfBTe7cN9bpyB9lKoGLpacYBvu9Co1_QY4up4bUPVqGRzmPChbwXm8xul4qFllXcXmmS_E_s5cp1AM-xlF5ihGHYkzMAEbWCMORa1qOkz8A8iiwAe_n8UF61kenDMqEkINJy-IzTHAWBJCBf2-ylKhK4AAwZ-j_NIJN6yljeuGR1jewHkIiGTzFi5G

Thanks Eric, I'll be looking into this piece of gear next time I am at the rigging warehouse, sounds like it'll be a good upgrade to what I have.

latinoguy

Adventurer
Can you post a pic of how you use the clevis the the chain? I am talking about a detail shot of chain and clevis. thanks.

Not really home "made" because I didn't really make anything, but I replaced the cotter pin for the foot with a 1/4" square bail pin for easy removal. I leave it off now unless I'm using it because it always rattled on the roof rack.
6VMPjgvCZU02FMZbyzaMtHZWuTx9DtjixbmX5R8H_-v_XduKSPkoycc458GTKeiRTJGQ9_9WqnYAyJsnc8bYKGzJ_JYx8GmqjQQEqv_V_j98LM44OemEzdNzYsEPEVXcK1A5ssdVegXO2O4n-YKWoL7Hv1vl56CBnCv8MmwL=s180-c

I think this is easier and cleaner than using box section steel; no bolts, better angle for the chain, cheaper, lighter, compacter. I had a lift-mate already that I used to attach the chain to the foot of the jack for the climbing part of the winching setup.

I also mounted the jack to the back of my MegaWarrior basket with some Snaparounds I had sitting around, some 5/16" carriage bolts, coupler nuts, and washers. It works great, and only cost me about $6 in hardware. It doesn't lock, and it's not as bombproof as some setups, but it does everything I need it to. I'll try to get some photos and post up, but it's not rocket science!

Eric

TwinStick

Explorer
Hey, I have one of those !!! LOL It also works with the First Responder Hi-Lift Jack that I have. I have been meaning to cut teeth into the one you made for me but have just not got around to it yet. Nice to have options. I have used mine for some crazy things, like helping my neighbor on one side remove the old 4"x4" clothes drying poles & the neighbor on the other side remove old fence posts. Have also used it for compressing things as well.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Made a base from 1/4 inch plate and some small angles. Keep it on the FR roof rack.
DSC05320.jpg

also made holders for the traction plates mounted under the rr. Shovel and axe mounted with Quick Fist mounted to strapping bolted to rr.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I made a quick and cheap base out of PT 2x12 with PT 2x4 along the sides to "hold" the base plate. Built it free out of scraps, it works well in mud, sand etc. Plus if I was in a really bad mud hole/sand hole I could attach it pretty easily with my drill and some 3" screws to my 4' 2x12 plank to expand the footprint. And I don't worry if I lose it or it walks away. I like some of the other versions folks have come up with. Nice to see ingenuity at work.

Westernhorses

I've been using a 60inch hiLift for some time now and have a couple of homemade bits I use with it.

Wheel lift made from some steel rectangular tube and an 8.8 HT bolt and 8mm chain and clevis hooks. Works well when combined with the 12" x 12" plywood pad in the soft stuff. I use plywood because it'll float up from wet holes.

Wheellift003.jpg

Wheellift002.jpg

Wheellift001.jpg

I have used my hilift as a hand winch many times using the following set up.

HiLiftJack003.jpg

HiLiftJack005.jpg

HiLiftJack012.jpg

HiLiftJack008.jpg

HiLiftJack011.jpg

HiLiftJack012.jpg

Both ideas just like the factory bits but each use is extra satisfying from being built not bought.
Can you say how thick the steel you used on either of these. I have a 220v welder and a drill press and feel like I can make anything; I just don't know enough to guesstimate the load rating on whatever I make. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles