Thread: Snow Peak Addiction

Coconut Shrimp is yummy. The BBQ box works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I recognized the name but had not looked into Snow peak much until tonight. This post and another had me drooling all over their website and planning on a camp kitchen with more counter space than my home.

One question, what do you use the torch for? Special cooking techniques? What purpose does it add to the kitchen set up?

have not used the torch yet, but plan on starting the charcoal with it. My next purchase will be the extention /corner tables. Snow Peak is great stuff.

Our Iron Grill Table was delivered last week - we set it up and used it for the first time last night out on the balcony. What a lovely way to while away the evening.

The fit and finish is excellent, and everything goes together quite nicely. It's not as light weight as I thought it would be, but it is very strong. One complaint would definitely be the 'wind up' mechanism of the Double BBQ box - it's just plain terrible! It feels like such an afterthought. I had never used a charcoal bbq before so last night was an experiment. I feel I didn't use enough brickets to really get some heat going.

The Giga Torch is great though! Less than 60 seconds of flame on the charcoal just sitting in the BBQ box was all it needed to get lit. Extremely loud and intense but it gets the job done.

The Double BBQ box, Single Baja burner, and all of our charcoal fits nicely in a Pelican 1620. Everything else kichen related will fit in our 1550's (other than the frame/legs).

Ash
    Last edited by Ash; 03-21-2011 at 04:57 PM.
    Locked Lexus
    Have RTT and Fridge, will Travel

Another way that we start our charcoal for dutch oven cookoffs is with a little tuna can or other shallow metal container with a little bit of HEET burning in it. You could use any flammable liquid probably, but this is what we've always used. The little burning cup goes under under your charcoal starting chimney.
    Lets leave all our crap where it is and go live in the woods.
    K7WS

I ride a scooter, therefore I am.

We use a majority of Snow Peak products in the field because of their functionality and build quality, not to mention you can scale your kitchen in size to fit your needs.

For example, we put two IGT four unit tables together with two long bamboo extensions and cooked for 50+ this past weekend at the SoCal Desert Rendezvous. Saturday we did 30lbs of carne asada tacos using two Double BBQ Boxs and one single BBQ Box. Tacos were followed up with grilled peaches for dessert. If you check that thread here on Expo, you can see the SP tables in use. I think the photos start in late 60s to early 70s pages in the thread.

As for the question about the torch - it's a "must have". I use it not only for starting charcoal, but for getting your campfires going as well. At 14,000 BTUs it will start damp firewood and you'll be on your way to warmth in no time flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Our Iron Grill Table was delivered last week - we set it up and used it for the first time last night out on the balcony. What a lovely way to while away the evening.

The fit and finish is excellent, and everything goes together quite nicely. It's not as light weight as I thought it would be, but it is very strong. One complaint would definitely be the 'wind up' mechanism of the Double BBQ box - it's just plain terrible! It feels like such an afterthought. I had never used a charcoal bbq before so last night was an experiment. I feel I didn't use enough brickets to really get some heat going.

The Giga Torch is great though! Less than 60 seconds of flame on the charcoal just sitting in the BBQ box was all it needed to get lit. Extremely loud and intense but it gets the job done.

The Double BBQ box, Single Baja burner, and all of our charcoal fits nicely in a Pelican 1620. Everything else kichen related will fit in our 1550's (other than the frame/legs).

Ash
    Ash -

Give the lump charcoal a try instad of the briquettes. I have long since given up on briquettes and their inconsistent nature. And you're right about the Double BBQ Box - the handle needs a version 2.0. The only saving grace is that you shouldn't be moving it too much, if any, once you get your grill going up to speed. It all depends upon what you're cooking.

I'm a big fan of the Snow Peak chimney for getting the coals started. 2 pieces of newspaper twisted moderately tight and then light them. Silent (I have that torch too, but it's like a jet engine) and efficient. It gives me about 15 minutes to prep food or kick back and enjoy a beer while you wait.
    2010 Ford F-250 w/FWC Hawk
    2001 Mitsubishi Montero
    My Montero Thread

Default LI Baja Burner

For those of you with the Baja Burner; what are your thoughts of it after using it for awhile? How well does it simmer?
    Thinking of purchasing and haven't found too many reviews.

Salue

I've bought so much snow peak gear they sent me a T-shirt. Almost every time I wear it I meet someone interesting and get in a conversation about Overlanding.

Page 2 of 280 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast