Snow Peak Addiction

GentJim

Long term lurker, first time poster... My name is James, and I am a Snow Peak addict

I need advice from the hive mind please:
Tabiki Tarp Octa with Inner vs. HD Tarp Shield Hexa Evo Pro with a separate Takibi Inner Roof... for base camp fire-pit set up for hanging with friends and camp kitchen / dining in inclement weather.

Basically, I'm trying to get my head around the "best" tarp for a Pack & Carry firepit (L), with jikaro table, plus camp kitchen with a 4U IGT, plus 4-6 seats and generally providing a good focus area in camp? As I'm based in the UK you generally have to plan for a rainy camp and treat the sunshine as a bonus!

No one I can find (yet) has done a side by side review on these - presumably because both tarps are expensive .

It just seems odd that SP seem to be marketing the Takibi Tarp Octa for use with the fireplace but not mentioning (in the UK at least) the TSHS Hexa Evo Pro which is larger, and can take its own Takibi inner...

Background:
There are usually 4 of us (me, other half and 2 kids), but would be good to be able to have a bigger hang out space for up to 8ish when friends join.

We cook using an 3U IGT entry at present, but want to have plenty of room for an IGT4U, as I'm finally getting hold of a flat burner and a grill next week from Japan (it's nightmare getting the gas stoves into the UK!)

GuessWho530

The BiPod stove came in handy for the spontaneous friend group cookout and hangout at the local lake. Tbh, I bought the bipod out of impulse, but I actually really find it cool and useful than the tinier ones that sit on top of the canister itself.

Attachments

• 289413121_10229187980789293_415804412248791759_n.jpg
    289413121_10229187980789293_415804412248791759_n.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 64

DesertSand05

Observer
$510 plus shipping and you can have your own two unit black IGT set via eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1550563055..._rLMwjwTKC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

What is it with the black versions?

snow peak seems to put all this effort every year on such a minor modification.

I never understood the appeal for actual use,. It seems like black would get scratched and show more than the natural aluminum.

Does all black mean something in Japan, that I’m missing?

fusace

Those inserts are great, what are they called, and are they available for purchase?

I got them from a fabricator in Korea https://link.inpock.co.kr/campleus (you'll need to translate the page), I picked up both sizes and carrying bags for ~$180 shipped, had a friend pick up a set as well so we both save a little on shipping. Extremely light and well made, both can fit no problem in the original bag that the Jikaro came with.

WestWorld

Long term lurker, first time poster... My name is James, and I am a Snow Peak addict

I need advice from the hive mind please:
Tabiki Tarp Octa with Inner vs. HD Tarp Shield Hexa Evo Pro with a separate Takibi Inner Roof... for base camp fire-pit set up for hanging with friends and camp kitchen / dining in inclement weather.

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum. I thought I'd add my two cents on the tarps. I have not used the Octa tarp; however, I own the Shield Hexa Evo Pro with the Inner Roof so I can give a hands on review of it. Both tarps use a similar layout regarding the poles and rope attachments. Both use 280cm poles at each end point, and 140cm poles (or in my case 180cm poles) for the sides. I like the higher 180cm poles which gives a little more clearance to walk under the tarp.

The Evo Pro has more space under the tarp compared to the Octa (from the SP website: 21' x 18.5' for the Evo Pro vs. 16.7' x 14.8' for the Octa). The Inner Roof under the Evo Pro is diamond shaped while the one under the Octa is more squared off. In my opinion, the Evo Pro Inner Roof works fine with the firepit with the diamond shape roof. I can fit my SP sofa under the Evo Pro along with two beach chairs, the firepit and Jikaro table, a 3U IGT with right corner extension to a 2U or 3U IGT, a folding bench, and still have room to walk around comfortably.

The Evo Pro utilizes a Shield material -- from the SW website: " Shield processing applied to the fabric provides additional UV protection and shading, that can feel 2-4 degrees cooler than tarps without. " There are times I just want the tarp for sun protection and I don't plan to use the firepit, or I want the firepit out in the open.

In the end you can't go wrong with either tarp. Price-wise they are about the same. If you want more space, the Evo Pro has more. I can setup the Evo Pro by myself, and I'd guess the Octa would be the same.

Hope that helps.

TooGouda

What is it with the black versions?

snow peak seems to put all this effort every year on such a minor modification.

I never understood the appeal for actual use,. It seems like black would get scratched and show more than the natural aluminum.

Does all black mean something in Japan, that I’m missing?
?‍♂️

i have a black 3U and a black 4U that I use in my house.
There is no way the black frames or legs would even make it to camp let alone back home without being scratched all to hell though
they really should just black anaodize the frames and legs, or do the same powder coat that is on the end caps if they want to do a black one.

the matte soft black paint they use on the black ones is fragile as can be

GuessWho530

Those inserts are great, what are they called, and are they available for purchase?
IF you do happen to order a set, let me know, I want to also order one, I am based in California, itll help us a little on shipment cost (ill pay for you to reship it to me when it comes to the usa)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94