Snow Peak Addiction

GentJim

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum. I thought I'd add my two cents on the tarps. I have not used the Octa tarp; however, I own the Shield Hexa Evo Pro with the Inner Roof so I can give a hands on review of it. Both tarps use a similar layout regarding the poles and rope attachments. Both use 280cm poles at each end point, and 140cm poles (or in my case 180cm poles) for the sides. I like the higher 180cm poles which gives a little more clearance to walk under the tarp.

The Evo Pro has more space under the tarp compared to the Octa (from the SP website: 21' x 18.5' for the Evo Pro vs. 16.7' x 14.8' for the Octa). The Inner Roof under the Evo Pro is diamond shaped while the one under the Octa is more squared off. In my opinion, the Evo Pro Inner Roof works fine with the firepit with the diamond shape roof. I can fit my SP sofa under the Evo Pro along with two beach chairs, the firepit and Jikaro table, a 3U IGT with right corner extension to a 2U or 3U IGT, a folding bench, and still have room to walk around comfortably.

The Evo Pro utilizes a Shield material -- from the SW website: " Shield processing applied to the fabric provides additional UV protection and shading, that can feel 2-4 degrees cooler than tarps without. " There are times I just want the tarp for sun protection and I don't plan to use the firepit, or I want the firepit out in the open.

In the end you can't go wrong with either tarp. Price-wise they are about the same. If you want more space, the Evo Pro has more. I can setup the Evo Pro by myself, and I'd guess the Octa would be the same.

Hope that helps.
Thanks WestWorld - really helpful to hear the real world feel of the Evo Pro. I’ve done my best looking Japanese-wise reading through the manual and I get the impression the fire pit ought to be pretty square in the middle given the diamond shape of the inner roof. I assume there is a trade off between a slightly squarer (more versatile) shaped inner on the Takibi Octo, and a bigger overall size on the Evo Pro.

I spoke to the guys at the London SP store on Friday, who told me they had a Takibi Octo at Head Office and it was “massive”! They had groups of 8 of so, plus fire pit, jikaro tale etc.

Wish I could see them IRL, side by side, but so helpful for hear about your set-up - thank you!

tonyle

Thanks WestWorld - really helpful to hear the real world feel of the Evo Pro. I’ve done my best looking Japanese-wise reading through the manual and I get the impression the fire pit ought to be pretty square in the middle given the diamond shape of the inner roof. I assume there is a trade off between a slightly squarer (more versatile) shaped inner on the Takibi Octo, and a bigger overall size on the Evo Pro.

I spoke to the guys at the London SP store on Friday, who told me they had a Takibi Octo at Head Office and it was “massive”! They had groups of 8 of so, plus fire pit, jikaro tale etc.

Wish I could see them IRL, side by side, but so helpful for hear about your set-up - thank you!
I had the same questions trying to decide between the takibi octa or the hexa evo + fire-resistant liner combo. I emailed snow peak recently and the guy replying was really helpful. Here's what he said:

" Personally, I agree that the two-pole configuration is slightly easier to set up than one involving four poles. I will note that setting up the Takibi Tarp Octa with four poles follows a similar process as your Takibi Hexa Set M, because you will essentially erect the two tall poles first, with the wing poles being next in your order of operations. The Takibi Tarp Octa does also require more points to stake down as well. So altogether, the Takibi Tarp Octa is slightly more set up.

The next point is the surface area of the tarp, and the surface area of the fire-resistant inner roof. The Hexa Evo Pro dimensions will note that it is significantly longer (listed at 21') versus the Takibi Octa Tarp (listed at 16.7'). However, the Hexa Evo Pro inner roof does not offer complete coverage of the outer tarp. This will reduce the effective gathering area when paired with the inner roof, and anecdotal reviews from our Snow Peak Japan customers have expressed concerns about use in high wind conditions blowing sparks into the body of the outer tarp that is not covered. Furthermore, the Takibi Tarp Octa is listed as a gathering space for 6-8 people, while the Hexa Evo Pro is most commonly rated as a 4-6 person tarp. So the Takibi Tarp Octa may in fact offer more fire-resistant gathering space for your party, and be a more comfortable option.

I have more personal experience with the Takibi Tarp Octa, as we have used this for Snow Peak company outings and field demonstrations. We were able to fit two Campfield Futons, two Pack & Carry XL fireplaces, and a generous amount of Low Beach Chairs/Take! Chairs around our space to accommodate our team. My own personal opinion is that the additional time taken to set it up is worth the comfortable space provided.

I believe your decision will depend on the size of your party, your preference on the look of the tarp, and your willingness to purchase extra components necessary to complete your set up. "

GentJim

I had the same questions trying to decide between the takibi octa or the hexa evo + fire-resistant liner combo. I emailed snow peak recently and the guy replying was really helpful. Here's what he said:

" Personally, I agree that the two-pole configuration is slightly easier to set up than one involving four poles. I will note that setting up the Takibi Tarp Octa with four poles follows a similar process as your Takibi Hexa Set M, because you will essentially erect the two tall poles first, with the wing poles being next in your order of operations. The Takibi Tarp Octa does also require more points to stake down as well. So altogether, the Takibi Tarp Octa is slightly more set up.

The next point is the surface area of the tarp, and the surface area of the fire-resistant inner roof. The Hexa Evo Pro dimensions will note that it is significantly longer (listed at 21') versus the Takibi Octa Tarp (listed at 16.7'). However, the Hexa Evo Pro inner roof does not offer complete coverage of the outer tarp. This will reduce the effective gathering area when paired with the inner roof, and anecdotal reviews from our Snow Peak Japan customers have expressed concerns about use in high wind conditions blowing sparks into the body of the outer tarp that is not covered. Furthermore, the Takibi Tarp Octa is listed as a gathering space for 6-8 people, while the Hexa Evo Pro is most commonly rated as a 4-6 person tarp. So the Takibi Tarp Octa may in fact offer more fire-resistant gathering space for your party, and be a more comfortable option.

I have more personal experience with the Takibi Tarp Octa, as we have used this for Snow Peak company outings and field demonstrations. We were able to fit two Campfield Futons, two Pack & Carry XL fireplaces, and a generous amount of Low Beach Chairs/Take! Chairs around our space to accommodate our team. My own personal opinion is that the additional time taken to set it up is worth the comfortable space provided.

I believe your decision will depend on the size of your party, your preference on the look of the tarp, and your willingness to purchase extra components necessary to complete your set up. "
So helpful - thank you!
Love this forum.

Hei

I got them from a fabricator in Korea https://link.inpock.co.kr/campleus (you'll need to translate the page), I picked up both sizes and carrying bags for ~$180 shipped, had a friend pick up a set as well so we both save a little on shipping. Extremely light and well made, both can fit no problem in the original bag that the Jikaro came with.

This is awesome — I am almost certainly going to purchase one. How did you arrange the shipping? Do they ship directly to the USA or did you use a package forwarding service?

fusace

is it hard to reach the igniter and control of the burner?

I haven't tried it yet, but will take note the next time I assemble. In the smaller configuration, I don't image it would be too difficult to access. Since there's plenty of space underneath, you can probably leave the igniter hanging for better access.

fusace

This is awesome — I am almost certainly going to purchase one. How did you arrange the shipping? Do they ship directly to the USA or did you use a package forwarding service?

I didn't use a third party, just contacted them directly via IG and he sent me an invoice including shipping costs via Paypal. I was challenging to purchase directly from site since it required downloading a Korean app. Good luck!

fusace

Anyone has a recommendation for how to repair a tear on the amenity dome carrying case? I contacted SP and they referred my to a repair shop but might cost a hundred dollars :(

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• tear.jpg
    tear.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 30

GuessWho530

Anyone has a recommendation for how to repair a tear on the amenity dome carrying case? I contacted SP and they referred my to a repair shop but might cost a hundred dollars :(

Thanks in advance!
Wait, I thought Snow Peak was about lifetime warranty, why wouldn't they just replace it for you?

fusace

Wait, I thought Snow Peak was about lifetime warranty, why wouldn't they just replace it for you?

This is more user error ( packed some short stakes in the nylon bag which formed a hard edge and I failed to wrap that inside, some rough packing and caused the tear) and/or typical wear and tear. This was SP's response so they are limited in the US as to which products are eligible for repairs at the moment. I'll most likely cover it with a felled patch and was wondering if there was a better solution.

"Although we have a robust After Service Department, please understand that we are not able to repair damage caused by typical wear and tear such as scuffs, scratches, abrasions, faded colors, minor denting, etc. Currently, the only items we are able to repair are stoves, lanterns, and tent poles at this time; we are continuing to build our capabilities for soft goods such as your carrying case."

TooGouda

Thanks in advance!
by repair are you just wanting to close up the hole? or are you thinking of a way to make it look new again?
you can sew a patch on the inside or outside or maybe even use a gear aid patch or similar tenacious tape type patch. there isn't a lot that can be done to fix a hole other than that besides replacing the bag that I have ever heard of

fusace

by repair are you just wanting to close up the hole? or are you thinking of a way to make it look new again?
you can sew a patch on the inside or outside or maybe even use a gear aid patch or similar tenacious tape type patch. there isn't a lot that can be done to fix a hole other than that besides replacing the bag that I have ever heard of

Yes, just to patch up the hole. Thanks for the recs TooGouda, will look into them.

briferg

Observer

Thanks in advance!
Try contacting Rugged Thread, they do all kinds of fabric repairs, really good with zippers. They are in Bend, Oregon

They are really good about estimates, quotes. Very good people to deal with. Good resource to put in your contact list.

jkam

nomadic man
Fancy new Snow Peak tent.
Obviously not intended for drunks with all the guy wires.
Probably takes three men and a little boy to set it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles