Snow Peak Addiction

4GRAINR

Adventurer
We use a majority of Snow Peak products in the field because of their functionality and build quality, not to mention you can scale your kitchen in size to fit your needs.

For example, we put two IGT four unit tables together with two long bamboo extensions and cooked for 50+ this past weekend at the SoCal Desert Rendezvous. Saturday we did 30lbs of carne asada tacos using two Double BBQ Boxs and one single BBQ Box. Tacos were followed up with grilled peaches for dessert. If you check that thread here on Expo, you can see the SP tables in use. I think the photos start in late 60s to early 70s pages in the thread.

As for the question about the torch - it's a "must have". I use it not only for starting charcoal, but for getting your campfires going as well. At 14,000 BTUs it will start damp firewood and you'll be on your way to warmth in no time flat.

4GRAINR

Adventurer
Our Iron Grill Table was delivered last week - we set it up and used it for the first time last night out on the balcony. What a lovely way to while away the evening.

The fit and finish is excellent, and everything goes together quite nicely. It's not as light weight as I thought it would be, but it is very strong. One complaint would definitely be the 'wind up' mechanism of the Double BBQ box - it's just plain terrible! It feels like such an afterthought. I had never used a charcoal bbq before so last night was an experiment. I feel I didn't use enough brickets to really get some heat going.

The Giga Torch is great though! Less than 60 seconds of flame on the charcoal just sitting in the BBQ box was all it needed to get lit. Extremely loud and intense but it gets the job done.

The Double BBQ box, Single Baja burner, and all of our charcoal fits nicely in a Pelican 1620. Everything else kichen related will fit in our 1550's (other than the frame/legs).

Ash

Ash -

Give the lump charcoal a try instad of the briquettes. I have long since given up on briquettes and their inconsistent nature. And you're right about the Double BBQ Box - the handle needs a version 2.0. The only saving grace is that you shouldn't be moving it too much, if any, once you get your grill going up to speed. It all depends upon what you're cooking.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I'm a big fan of the Snow Peak chimney for getting the coals started. 2 pieces of newspaper twisted moderately tight and then light them. Silent (I have that torch too, but it's like a jet engine) and efficient. It gives me about 15 minutes to prep food or kick back and enjoy a beer while you wait.

Salue

Adventurer
LI Baja Burner

For those of you with the Baja Burner; what are your thoughts of it after using it for awhile? How well does it simmer?
Thinking of purchasing and haven't found too many reviews.

Salue

davidv

Observer
I've bought so much snow peak gear they sent me a T-shirt. Almost every time I wear it I meet someone interesting and get in a conversation about Overlanding.

OverlandGourmet

For those of you with the Baja Burner; what are your thoughts of it after using it for awhile? How well does it simmer?
Thinking of purchasing and haven't found too many reviews.

Salue

While there may not be too many reviews published, ask around and you'll receive positive feedback. Whether used stand alone or incorporated into the Iron Grill Table, the Baja is an awesome stove for use in the field. We recently used two of them on our Dinner in the Desert trip with No Limit Expeditions while cooking for 20 people. Their low simmer is great and the sturdiness of the setup is great when compared to other similarly prices stoves. My only complaint, is that it doesn't do 34,000 BTU's like it's big brother - the GS-1000. :)

I know people who travel with two of them because they pack smaller than a traditional two burner like Cook Partner or Coleman. If you cook large meals or for large groups, the only drawback could be that the stove doesn't use propane. However, in my years of travel cooking for a handful of people or semi frequent use, the IsoPropane canisters shouldn't be a problem.

Let me know if you have any other questions. We'll be posting some specials in the For Sale thread in the days ahead - keep a look out. :)

- Zach

Tacovendor

Explorer
Zach it was nice to see you at the Expo, I'm afraid to but any Snow Peak equipment! I know if I do I will be an addict! Absolutely some of the finest cooking/camping equipment made! I'll be calling soon, Cris

spressomon

Expedition Leader
While there may not be too many reviews published, ask around and you'll receive positive feedback. Whether used stand alone or incorporated into the Iron Grill Table, the Baja is an awesome stove for use in the field. We recently used two of them on our Dinner in the Desert trip with No Limit Expeditions while cooking for 20 people. Their low simmer is great and the sturdiness of the setup is great when compared to other similarly prices stoves. My only complaint, is that it doesn't do 34,000 BTU's like it's big brother - the GS-1000. :)

I know people who travel with two of them because they pack smaller than a traditional two burner like Cook Partner or Coleman. If you cook large meals or for large groups, the only drawback could be that the stove doesn't use propane. However, in my years of travel cooking for a handful of people or semi frequent use, the IsoPropane canisters shouldn't be a problem.

Let me know if you have any other questions. We'll be posting some specials in the For Sale thread in the days ahead - keep a look out. :)

- Zach

I LOVE my GS-1000! Although most Snow Peak gear represents great design and engineering the GS-1000 is at their pinnacle IMO. I made an adapter so I can run it on bulk propane...kind of important when you're pulling up to 34,000 btus!

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
Added a few more Snow Peak items...

2 x Mugs
Complete silverware set
Lamp
Extra bracket for the IGT to hold pots/pans

I used the torch over the weekend and it was amazing how fast it would light the coal. Even when the coal was damp.

The Baja burner is great. I had to turn the cannister upright to keep the heat down as I am usually just warming up something and don't need the full heat. I left my table out in a thunderstorm in Arkansas this past weekend. Everything was soaked. I just gave it a good shake and it fired right up.

Zach, I have a few things on my list like a Bag to hold the table. Do you know when you will be getting them in? Also eyeing an extention table. Once you get some of your items in stock i'll be placing an order. :bike_rider:

Darren

Attachments

• P1011341.jpg
    P1011341.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 369
  • P1011343.jpg
    P1011343.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 399
  • P1011347.jpg
    P1011347.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:

OverlandGourmet

Zach it was nice to see you at the Expo, I'm afraid to but any Snow Peak equipment! I know if I do I will be an addict! Absolutely some of the finest cooking/camping equipment made! I'll be calling soon, Cris

Cris - I have your list. Don't worry ... I'll be sending you a "proposed" order for you to chew on! :)

OverlandGourmet

Added a few more Snow Peak items...

2 x Mugs
Complete silverware set
Lamp
Extra bracket for the IGT to hold pots/pans

I used the torch over the weekend and it was amazing how fast it would light the coal. Even when the coal was damp.

The Baja burner is great. I had to turn the cannister upright to keep the heat down as I am usually just warming up something and don't need the full heat. I left my table out in a thunderstorm in Arkansas this past weekend. Everything was soaked. I just gave it a good shake and it fired right up.

Zach, I have a few things on my list like a Bag to hold the table. Do you know when you will be getting them in? Also eyeing an extention table. Once you get some of your items in stock i'll be placing an order. :bike_rider:

Darren

Darren -

The IGT carry bags were out of stock at Snow Peak's US office as of last week, but should arrive in our shipment next week since their container just arrived. We already have quite a few of them on order. I'll shoot you a PM and we can see what you need. We sold out of just about anything Snow Peak at Expo!

It's simply great gear. Everything from the $4 wood handle silverware to the GS-1000 - it holds up well and definitely withstands the abuse Overland Gourmet gives it in the field. That's why they were the first company we partnered with.

Cheers!

Zach

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I wonder how the current issues in Japan might effect Snow Peak, et al, Japanese sourced products? I would expect a delay...

Salue

Adventurer

- Zach

I've been contacting local vendors looking for setups of the IGT system before spending the money and none of the vendors have any displays to show off. I just noticed you'll be at the Overland Rally in Ellensburg...Hope to take a look at the setup then.

Cheers,
Salue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles