Snow Peak Addiction

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
I've read a few post's on other websites that mention an adjustable IGT table, and some outdoor furniture. Anyone know any details on new products?

I'm in Kansas, always last to know what's going on.

cactusjk

Explorer
A question for BBQ Box owners:

I am using lump charcoal and am never quite sure how much to put in and the best way to spread it out once lit? I usually end up raising the coals to the highest position for heat.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
A question for BBQ Box owners:

I am using lump charcoal and am never quite sure how much to put in and the best way to spread it out once lit? I usually end up raising the coals to the highest position for heat.

I've tried lump and Kingsford in three different flavors and I just can't get the heat I need and want out my BBQ Box...I've used a few coals as well as a pile to the same lack of high heat/sear heat. Not all that impressed for what it cost!

But compact it is!

cactusjk

Explorer
Sounds like my problem. Probably need the grate always on high.

What is the best way to clean the mesh?

I've tried lump and Kingsford in three different flavors and I just can't get the heat I need and want out my BBQ Box...I've used a few coals as well as a pile to the same lack of high heat/sear heat. Not all that impressed for what it cost!

But compact it is!

hoser

Explorer

But compact it is!
Just thinking out loud but perhaps these BBQ grills were designed more for Japanese style Yakitori... like smaller bite sized eats. That's the type of grilling I mostly see while in Japan.

OverlandGourmet

Zach - looking forward to the 2 position IGT and bag. Also the Cook Partner 2 burner insert!

I have a 2 Unit IGT that I'm going to demo and test out this weekend at the SyncroFest in Hollister. I am still waiting to hear back from Snow Peak regarding when we'll have this available in the US. A lot of products are on back order so it's a waiting game right now. With respect to the Cook Partner burner adapter for the IGT, we're meeting with the fabrication shop on Wednesday to review the layout/design and determine cost/production time/etc if we move forward. I'll keep everyone posted on the detail as I know more.

Cheers!

cactusjk

Explorer
Thanks for the update! The inside cover of the latest Overland Journal shows the 2 Unit several times...

I have a 2 Unit IGT that I'm going to demo and test out this weekend at the SyncroFest in Hollister. I am still waiting to hear back from Snow Peak regarding when we'll have this available in the US. A lot of products are on back order so it's a waiting game right now. With respect to the Cook Partner burner adapter for the IGT, we're meeting with the fabrication shop on Wednesday to review the layout/design and determine cost/production time/etc if we move forward. I'll keep everyone posted on the detail as I know more.

Cheers!

OverlandGourmet

But compact it is!

We use the BBQ box on every trip and haven't had any real issues with respect to getting enough heat of out it.

I guess my two questions would be how much charcoal are you using and how are you lighting it/bringing the coals up to temperature?

When we use it this weekend @ SyncroFest I'll take some photos of how we use the BBQ box in the field and we can see if there is anything we're doing differently?

tdesanto

Expedition Leader

But compact it is!

The problem with the single BBQ box (I don't have experience with the double BBQ box) is that the fire pan doesn't really allow for air circulating under the coals. The coals choke themselves in their own ashes. I've heard of people having good luck drilling holes in the fire pan to allow air under the coals. I tried something different: I found a grill grate that was just the length and just cut the width to fit. It rests on the sloped sides of the fire pan and holds the coals about 1/2-1" above the bottom. This allows air to circulate underneath. Now, the coals will burn until there's nothing left but ash. The heat is now more consistent and burns for quite a while. I can now sear meats or slow cook with the lid on without the coals going cold.

OverlandGourmet

Just thinking out loud but perhaps these BBQ grills were designed more for Japanese style Yakitori... like smaller bite sized eats. That's the type of grilling I mostly see while in Japan.

You're right on the money. All of the Snow Peak products are designed for the Japanese and then select products are exported for sale in the US and other markets. For example, order a Snow Peak table and you'll wonder why it is so low. From my understanding, the BBQ is designed for individual use or a small group of family or friends enjoying Yakitori and other grilled delights - not huge t-bones or slabs of baby back ribs. That is when we break out two Double BBQ Boxes and go to town! :)

cactusjk

Explorer
Sounds like Zach needs to add that to the fab list!

The problem with the single BBQ box (I don't have experience with the double BBQ box) is that the fire pan doesn't really allow for air circulating under the coals. The coals choke themselves in their own ashes. I've heard of people having good luck drilling holes in the fire pan to allow air under the coals. I tried something different: I found a grill grate that was just the length and just cut the width to fit. It rests on the sloped sides of the fire pan and holds the coals about 1/2-1" above the bottom. This allows air to circulate underneath. Now, the coals will burn until there's nothing left but ash. The heat is now more consistent and burns for quite a while. I can now sear meats or slow cook with the lid on without the coals going cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94