Snow Peak Addiction

Honu

lost on the mainland
OK this is kinda a double post ?
link here to the other thread
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/76889-Which-gas-grill

but here is the part that relates to Snow Peak stuff
going to try to setup a gas grill and might have found a nice match ?
more to come and pics when I get the grill this week :)

I really which SP made the gas grill I had seen in pics :)

had been thinking of a way to fit one into the IGT nicely and decided I am going to give this one a try (bought it tonight)
http://www.magmaproducts.com/Produc...2/Connoisseur_Series/Trailmate/trailmate.html
I am familiar with Magma being a boater ;) and the nice thing is you can get parts easy for them any and all parts !
link to the company page

only downside is most of their grills are about 10750 BTU this one is only 7500 ? but still better than the coleman and other cheaper ones ?

has links to the specs and dimensional drawings parts etc.. on that page
but here is a link to dimensions
http://www.magmaproducts.com/A10-801_TrailMate_Dimension.pdf

the body is 12.25 x 9 5/8
since its 12.25 in width it will drop into the frame ? since the frame needs about 12.75
hoping the regulator can kinda swing in first then the rest drop in

I never BBQ with the lid on ? so my plan is unscrew the lid and get some L channel material and make my own rest for the IGT area
drill it and screw it onto the ends and it should be a almost perfect fit :)
the lid ? hoping I can just drill to holes in the top use the existing handle like a top on and rest it on when/if needed ? again not a big deal for me

and whats nice is it will fit a standard width IGT unit so putting the stainless tray set on each side maybe ? not sure how hot it gets compared to the BBQ box ? but since it is a standard width everything else should fit and besides the small 1 inch or so lip on the 3 sides ? not a big deal figure I will just stick it to the right so the lip is away from me and the valve toward me ? dont think the small lip will be a issue ? if it is can cut it off I guess ?

the regulator should be easy enough to get to since it pivots ? you can also get a true LP kit with new regulator which has a nice end type dial :) or get a HP hose adapter for bulk so lots of options to fuel it

I had thought of doing a double wide
http://www.magmaproducts.com/Produc...eries_BBQ/Catalina/A10-1218LS/a10-1218ls.html
and mount it sideways so its facing me again lid off style and taking up two spaces wide but facing me width way ? could be a cool option also
but I like the idea of the above one and since its one wide I could get two of these if need be and have the flexibility over one wider one although the wider one kicks out 12,500 BTU take up two spaces leaving the side open for easy to adjust and ignite the burners ? even though the one below is more BTU not sure the taking up 2.5 spaces would be worth it ? also the price !! but this one could be a super cool 2unit gas grill

this one
http://www.amazon.com/Magma-Product...Stainless/dp/B0049MFVF4/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header
kicks out 18000 BTU :)
that could be a pretty cool unit :) would take up just over 2 units though ? but that in a 4 unit IGT with a gigapower LI stove you would have a monster power house of a cooking setup

one other thought come up with a drop in box and you would not have to mess with the hoods at all on the above ? since it can mount with bolts to the bottom it could be part of the drop in frame ? would be pretty easy and strong to come up with something like this and no drilling into the body etc..
going to look at that idea of mounting also if this way you would take up a extra half space ? not a big deal and have the hood in use if you want
again notice how they have many types of mounts that bolt into the bottom on the web site the boat ones we used to use had rail mounts ! and were very solid !

anyway lots of rambling just got my brain going tonight ;) the one nice thing about the first one is at $175 ? not a big amount the double wides with infrared are about $450+

also I like the low nothing sticking up everyone join in from all sides kinda thing and would have a hard time cutting up a $450 grill :) but then again would be cool and custom

hope my long winded rambling helps someone
sorry I am bad at grammar :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
Ho Chung
just want to say thanks I was the one who called you and was asking about 3 or 4 space grills and fitting them in my FJC a few days ago ?
and I just ordered the grill box from you Friday :)

thanks for the time to talk and share thoughts :)

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Well with the help of the REI 20% discount I will soon be joining the SP ranks. I'm certain the GF will enjoy her bday surprise if I can hold out long enough and not share what it is with her.

toymaster

Explorer
A few years ago I was able to buy a SP spork, I cheaped out on the second and got an REI plastic thing with a fork on one end and a spoon on the other. My son broke it first use. Next year I was able to save more money and buy a SECOND spork......yep, like my sporks. I'm so proud.

Oh yeah 5 years ago I bought the multi-compact cook set awesome backpacking gear.

hochung

Adventurer
Ho Chung
just want to say thanks I was the one who called you and was asking about 3 or 4 space grills and fitting them in my FJC a few days ago ?
and I just ordered the grill box from you Friday :)

thanks for the time to talk and share thoughts :)

No prob. You'll love the BBQ box. It's going out today.

Hafwit

Adventurer
You will love the BBQ box. Ho is a good guy, and I'm happy to see you had a good experience.

Cheers,
Greg

Airmonger

Adventurer
I'm having issues with my BBQ Box, it might that I am putting on too much food or that I'm using too much charcoal. Either way I get one round of food cooked and the coals die without burning all the way down. What am I doing wrong? I am using natural pressed charcoal (no lighter fluid) and filling the coal box but only one layer. Also I'm waiting until the coals are grey and white hot, should I be using them earlier when there is still some black left on them?

Hafwit

Adventurer
If you are using sawdust briquettes (shame on you! Lump charcoal is much better), then they should break down to powder before they are spent. If they stop burning and yet retain their shape, it sounds like you may not be getting enough air flow to them. Perhaps you are crowding the grill so much that you have snuffed them. Also I find that charcoal works less effectively if you don't clean out the ash from a prior use. You want the charcoal to have air circulation from both above and below. If you are not adding lighter fluid or using "match light" briquettes, you don't necessarily need to wait until they are all perfectly glowing to get started. You may have started too late as well.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Greg

Airmonger

Adventurer
After your input I tweaked my routine with the BBQ box and was able to come up with some great results. First I added the coals to the box sooner, I left a little black on the coals so that there was more burnable material to work with. Second I used fewer coals, maybe 15? I think the biggest and most important factor was that I used smaller material. I didn't try to grill a whole 1.25" ribeye dripping with fat, instead I used chicken tenderloins and thin .25" veggies.

the cour de gras was a twist on a hoisin marinade. I didn't have the hoisin so I used some leftover cranberry sauce.

6 Tbs Cranberry Sauce
2 Tbs Soy Sauce
1 Tbs Fish Sauce
1 Tbs Brown Sugar
1 Tbs Honey
2 Tbs Onion (finely chopped)
1 Tbs Ginger
1 Clove Garlic
2 Tbs Sake

Heat in a sauce pan and reduce. The measurements are approx.

e0381172.jpg

f4e081cd.jpg

I think its time to stop as I am eyeing my kids leftover chicken nuggets wondering if they would taste better cooked on the BBQ Box!

Hafwit

Adventurer
I have a Kalamazoo hybrid gas/charcoal/wood grill at home that is the bomb for cooking large pieces of meat. The Snow Peak BBQ box is built by a Japanese company that is primarily targeted at people cooking smaller items like yakitori and the like. That isn't to say that it can't cook larger items, but it will not do the same job as a large grill built for that purpose. When I want to Q a brisket, I get fantastic results from the Kalamazoo. I wouldn't consider the SP BBQ box for such things since it would be a PITA and wouldn't have a chance of being comparable no matter what you might try. However, the BBQ box works great for skewered meats and is much more fun to use than the big grill for that purpose. I made some great Japanese/Korean/Argentinean/Armenian foods on it where it really shined. If you have a local ethnic market that sells pre-marinated meats that are kabob-sized, you can't go wrong using the BBQ box to cook them. Keep in mind that charcoal only lasts so long, so if you plan to cook a lot of food or you want to keep it going for a while, you may need to replace the charcoal during the process. I know that EE sells the charcoal inserts for the BBQ box, and you might want to get an extra one if this is the route you wish to take--you could then start your replacement batch of charcoal in the extra insert and then switch the charcoal out to minimize your down time. I would also suggest you get some lump hardwood charcoal rather than briquettes since it lasts longer and is so much better. If you want to get some binchotan to be traditional, go ahead----however $$$$ discouraged me after trying it once. I don't think the binchotan was any better than much cheaper lump charcoal. I like lighting it with my SP torch and using cheap Asian butane as fuel for it rather than the expensive camping mixed fuel.

Good luck and enjoy.

Cheers,
Greg

Airmonger

Adventurer
The bag of hardwood charcoal I got came with lumps half the size of my bbq box. I also found it harder to grill with inconsistent sized fuel, Ill have to give it another go.

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I just got my first snowpeak piece of gear... the hozuki lamp.
I wouldn't have payed $90 for it, but I used my REI dividend and discount to get it. I must say, it's really pretty cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles