Snow Peak Addiction

jtosbo00

Observer
Made some upgrades to my Thule Trailer. Next summer, I’m taking my 3 kids to Badlands, Glacier, Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone National Park. Needed the trailer to handle a little more load so I built a sturdier rack and added more crossbars to make a cargo basket. Should leave plenty of room inside for the heavier Snow Peak gear! Now I just have to wait 8 months. :-(
fd36c260c33e06e12d09a335974c23e8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Can anyone recommend a list of Snowpeak products for a 3 week expedition my wife and I are taking? Been eyeing their product lineup for a while now and we are very impressed.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
It depends on the trip... if you're making and breaking camp everyday; less is more. What will be your mode of transportation? That is also a huge factor. Also, what are your cooking and eating expectations?

Mode of transport will be a 2014 FJ Cruiser. So as you may imagine, space will be a premium. As far as cooking/eating expectations, were relatively new at this so we aren't too sure. We were looking at the double burner stove so that we could make some potatoes and eggs on one side while simultaneously boiling water for coffee or tea or whatever. The double stove may be a bit much for setting up and breaking down daily which is what half of our expedition will be. Perhaps two of their individual burners would be better? We were also looking at one of their fire pits.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Mode of transport will be a 2014 FJ Cruiser. So as you may imagine, space will be a premium. As far as cooking/eating expectations, were relatively new at this so we aren't too sure. We were looking at the double burner stove so that we could make some potatoes and eggs on one side while simultaneously boiling water for coffee or tea or whatever. The double stove may be a bit much for setting up and breaking down daily which is what half of our expedition will be. Perhaps two of their individual burners would be better? We were also looking at one of their fire pits.

The fire pit is heavy not super bulky but you would need to haul wood or charcoal. The 2 burner stove is heavy and a little bulky. With all SP stoves youll need fuel canisters. The baja burners are great, too. The 2 burner stove IS on sale at REI. Its not too bad to set up, either. Probably the best bang for your buck, IMHO.

motoz

Adventurer
Can anyone recommend a list of Snowpeak products for a 3 week expedition my wife and I are taking? Been eyeing their product lineup for a while now and we are very impressed.

I'd just look at the basics.
If you wanted to set yourself up and start down the SP path of addiction I'd start with tableware.

1 x lg folding chopping board / knife set
2 x 300ml double wall titanium mugs
2 x sporks
1 x duo plate set
1 x medium cook set.

All these items are a joy to use. You'll want to add to the collection as time goes on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The fire pit is heavy not super bulky but you would need to haul wood or charcoal. The 2 burner stove is heavy and a little bulky. With all SP stoves youll need fuel canisters. The baja burners are great, too. The 2 burner stove IS on sale at REI. Its not too bad to set up, either. Probably the best bang for your buck, IMHO.

Yea I was looking at the Baja because it sits low which would be good for using it on the springtail rear door-mounted fold out platform. Didn't see the 2-burner for sale though!

Lennart

Adventurer
I should receive the GS-355 this week and will let you guys know what I think.
Im am not a fan of gas bbq/grills, but more and more campsites in Europe do not allow open fires. Bummer, but gas grilling is better than no grilling ;)

Last edited:

jtosbo00

Observer
I should receive the GS-355 this week and will let you guys know what I think.
Im am not a fan of gras bbq/grills, but more and more campsites in Europe do not allow open fires. Bummer, but gas grilling is better than no grilling ;)

I was supposed to get it last week but for some reason DHL sent it back to Amazon Japan. Hoping just some error on shipping label and they re-ship since the price has gone up. ?

I think the gas grill will be easier for clean-ups especially breakfast so we can head out ASAP. Love the Double BBQ grill I have but it requires more time resources.

UPDATE: I just got an email from Amazon JP that they deemed the Gas Grill as exportable but DHL thought otherwise and thus was not able to ship overseas. :-( I placed a new order with some other stuff to see what happens this time.

UPDATE 2: The 2nd attempt made it out of Japan and US Customs has already released it (although it is still in mid-flight). I should have it tomorrow. I’m guessing that Japan DHL had mistaken the 1st shipment as containing a gas canister.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

WestWorld

Mode of transport will be a 2014 FJ Cruiser. So as you may imagine, space will be a premium. As far as cooking/eating expectations, were relatively new at this so we aren’t too sure. We were looking at the double burner stove so that we could make some potatoes and eggs on one side while simultaneously boiling water for coffee or tea or whatever. The double stove may be a bit much for setting up and breaking down daily which is what half of our expedition will be. Perhaps two of their individual burners would be better? We were also looking at one of their fire pits.

The fire pit is a nice option to have camping. I have thoroughly enjoyed mine for both cooking and for sitting around the campfire. It's heavy and takes up some space though it folds flat. And as Yuman said, you'll need access to wood or charcoal. The Pack and Carry Fireplace Starter Kit has everything you'll need to start off. I would recommend the large fire pit.

I can't speak for the double burner stove because I just bought mine from REI and haven't had a chance to use it yet. Up until now, I've used the Snow Peak Gigapower stove and that has worked out fine (mostly for backpacking, though car camping too). For a three week expedition however, you may want something more robust. Beware, once you get the double burner stove, it's a slippery path down the IGT Table setup! :)

Backcountrygear.com has a 20% off thing going on now, and REI will be starting their 20% off one product on Nov. 10. That can save you a few bucks.

Lennart

Adventurer
I will vouch for the double burner stove. I have had the GS-220 for years and love it.
If you can find the snow peak multistand (I am not sure it is still sold) you have a very flexible and fast setup.
Otherwise you can use the burner standalone. The lid acts as a windscreen.

The slippery path indeed is to get an IGT frame with it........DON'T DO IT.......:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles