Snow Peak Addiction

Riptide

Explorer
Why not just light off one of your units and check it out yourself? Personally, although I can imagine the edges of the unit being too hot to touch, I really don't think they would get hot enough to ignite wood; that's about 200 degrees difference between those two, if not more.

Tempted to get a burner out and seeing for myself with my IR temperature gun...

mrsa111

Observer
Yeah i'm planning on it, Just dont have any propane at the moment, Think I'll make something to simulate the "box" that the burners will sit in and make a little pine top to simulate my counter top, probably try to make the whole thing as overly flammable as possible, then run it on full blast with a big pan on top.

I wonder if theres some kind of high heat wood sealer/finish I could use, even if it doesnt burn the wood I could see it doing something to the finish.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I can see it burning it :) not set on fire :)

but try it out :) the othe thought is depending on how solid they are in there maybe get some aluminum channel and edge the hole ): would look cool be easier to clean and most likely help out a touch

mrsa111

Observer
Alright so I ran a little test.. surrounded the burner with the wood scraps, similar to what ill use for my countertop. basically made a box around it enclosing the bottom, with it sitting on a piece of plywood, and the walls going 3-5" above the top of the stove, so it was somewhat enclosed (which i obviously wont do, just wanted to create the worst scenario)

Ran it for maybe 15 minutes on what i'd consider high, no pan on top, the wood got a little hot, but you could lay your hand on it for awhile and it wouldnt burn you or anything.

Then i ran it on high again with a big pot of boiling water on top so there was only maybe a 1-2" gap between the pot and the wood walls, so really enclosed. and that turned the wood brown about 2" above the lip of the stove. then i ran it on full blast, to where it was literally spitting flames, for a couple minutes and that set the sides on fire. BUT down low it didnt burn, there was probably an inch above the top of the stove where it wasnt even marked, it was hot, but you could leave a finger on it for like 5 seconds before it got too hot.

the sides of the stove right by the burner part were definitely hot, too hot to touch for more than a second.
the bottom plywood was hardly even warmed up.

I'd feel pretty comfortable running them flush in a wood countertop. considering that im never going to enclose the sides with wood.. i would be concerned about it marking the sides where the wood is in contact with the metal, especially if i were using a big pan that forced the heat back down into the stove. I found some bar top finish that is apparently heat proof to 500 degrees, Im thinking if i use that, coat the surfaces of the wood that wont be seen (the sides that contact the stove, and underside) with heat resistant paint and cover it with some up to 1000 degrees heat resistant metal tape. I should be pretty damn safe. If i can make a metal surround for it to sit in that gives me an extra inch or two of metal to dissipate the heat, and especially if i can raise it up even just a 1/2 inch or so above the wood countertop i think i'd be perfectly safe.

mrsa111

Observer
By the way, is it normal to have the flame get huge when you crank the knob mostly open? it seemed like i had a tiny window of adjustment, then suddenly it would sound like a jet engine and have like a 8" high flame. it sure boiled the water extremely fast. maybe its cause i'm using propane? i would set it to a point that i thought was good, but it would keep going like i was opening the knob more. either that or it would keep going lower to the point where i'd lose the flame. was extremely hard to set it accurately.
I used a coleman camper stove propane bottle that i had on its side if that makes a difference.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
I have an 18" partner steel 2 burner that I modified to fit my IGT. I drilled out the rivets that held the windscreen on and mounted angle aluminum to be able to set it in the IGT. Would anybody be interested in buying it as is? Wondering if I should sell it this way or mount the windscreen back on and sell it that way.

dcg141

Adventurer
Used my fire pit this past weekend for the first time. Very nice design. Grilled off of it twice and used it as a fire pit. The addiction might just be setting in.

tenebs

I am a big fan of the snow peak stakes. Too heavy for backpacking but for car, truck or trailer camping they are awesome. Living in AZ the flimsy lightweight stakes just bend in the rocks. I have about 25 of the 20 cm stakes and 4 of the 30 cm stakes. I use them on everything, tent, awning, tarp. I also have the snow peak hammer with the cooper tip. It is awesome as well as has a special hook designed for pulling up the snow peak stakes. I masked off an upper region of each stake and painted them bright orange so they stand out in the grass or dirt so I don't loose any.
I traveled camping for 6 weeks in Namibia using a snow peak titanium plate, bowl, cup and utensils for almost every meal.
I'm considering the fire pit grill si I can have a fire without making a fire ring and leaving a scar on the land.

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
Just got notice yesterday that the elusive IGT slide in extension tables were in stock at SP website. Got my order in for 2x Long & 2x Short plus a few other goodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Boyd

Explorer
In case this use never occurred to you...

a73a2f7fd5650bab9ff1d3c70cbf9c02.jpg

I got this along with some other snowpeak stuff in a private sale, but never had a good use for it. Then it dawned on me that it might fit. I think this is the medium storage bag/box.

Sweet! Like it was designed to fit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier