Snow Peak Addiction

jtosbo00

Observer
is that the same connection as the baja burner?... if so, i just use a Kovea adaptor to coleman canisters

Yes, it does have similar connection but note that the Baja is compatible with both gold (proiso) and silver (iso) canisters while the gs-230 is not. Basically I believe it needs to be liquid gas (hence upside down when connected). But I’m not an expert, so maybe there’s something I may be misunderstanding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
The ISO butane canisters are all the same diameter and all have lindal valves. There are other brands of ISO butane canisters available. Most camping sections sell them. Even walmart has them. Your could go propane, too with a Kovea adapter. There are other brands on Amazon too. There is also a nifty device that gets the last bits of fuel out of the IB canisters. You can get IB canisters almost anywhere... even amazon sells them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TXZ4JUA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Yes, it does have similar connection but note that the Baja is compatible with both gold (proiso) and silver (iso) canisters while the gs-230 is not. Basically I believe it needs to be liquid gas (hence upside down when connected). But I'm not an expert, so maybe there's something I may be misunderstanding.

Upside down just aids in the flow of fuel. You can do the same with the baja burner. Rightsde up or upside down.

jtosbo00

Observer
Upside down just aids in the flow of fuel. You can do the same with the baja burner. Rightsde up or upside down.

This is helpful bc Snow Peak’s documentation on their website is extremely confusing! For example, they have a chart that shows which products their gas canisters are compatible with and along with the GS-230, the Snow Peak GigaPower LI Stove (which is sold at REI) also only takes the “silver” canister. Yet on the REI website, although mostly obscured, you can tell that a “gold” canister is being used upside down.

I have the MSR IsoPro canisters (I need 500g size), so I will have to try it out.

1dec40baafd41e947f9671a63775318a.jpg

jtosbo00

Observer
Post up a photo of your stove that youre asking about.

I did in my 1st post on the topic. All of the canisters used on snow peak burners are mixed. Some like MSR are 80/20 or 85/15 (isobutane/propane). The SP gold version is Isobutane 75% + propane 25%. The silver version has no propane: Isobutane 70% + butane 30%.

EDIT: Sorry for not being clear in my previous post. What I mean to ask is if they can be mixed with propane.

Last edited:

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Any fuel source that has a lindal valve should work just fine. Regardless of the blend. I was curious to see the bottom of the stove (flipped over view) I assume it has the same cannister retention system as the baja burner?

jtosbo00

Observer
Any fuel source that has a lindal valve should work just fine. Regardless of the blend. I was curious to see the bottom of the stove (flipped over view) I assume it has the same cannister retention system as the baja burner?

I don’t have a Baja burner to compare it to but here is a photo of the underside. It has brackets to hold the canister in upside down position and a hose to screw into the valve.
884718b2dc2da7f81387568b18476c7c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne