Snow Peak Addiction

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Mine measures about 5 1/8" tall, nested and with the lid inverted, and just under 8" at the widest point, which is the skillet or plate tabs. This is the set alone, not in its canvas storage sack. In the storage sack, it's just over 5 1/2" in height.

This set has rapidly become one of my favorite SP items. The versatility of the pieces really make it a joy to use; the skillet or the plates can become the pot lids if cooking something tall, or one can put the pot lid on the skillet or plates. One can cook ones food right on the plate, which is perhaps my favorite feature: I hate putting hot food right on a cold metal plate, which is what I used to car camp with. Now, I just throw a plate on the camp stove for a few minutes. The plates are deep enough to act as bowls, if needed for stew and the like.

It comes coated with some sort of SP coating. It's not a seasoning, but some hard coating, from what I understand. I have used mine over a fire on a grate, and on my cook stoves, with no harm to the coating. I do nest a paper towel between the pot bottom and the skillet to protect the skillet interior, but so far, the set seems bombproof. Of course, there are other little features that show just how much thought SP puts into their stuff, which makes you forget about the price tag after awhile...

And the size is perfect for two people. I highly recommend it.

It is a shame it is so expensive. REI carried it for a little while, and I think the set was 160, and I bought mine during one of their sale periods.

I really appreciate the info Riptide. Can I ask you one more question? Tonight I templated the diameter of a coated MSR pot set and the Snowpeak Duo to see if both would fit in the very small space in my Jeep drawer. According to written diameter specs, they won't, but it's close.

Can you measure the widest, circular diameter of the Duo set (excluding the ears)? The site says the diameter is 6.8 inches. I'm really hoping that includes the ears. If the diameter of the pot itself is a bit smaller...it might all fit.

Thanks!

Riptide

Explorer
The skillet and plates measure 7 11/16" across the ears, and 6 5/8" across anywhere else along the rim.

The pot measures 7 5/16" across the handle/bail posts, and 6 3/4" across everywhere else along the rim.

Can you measure the widest, circular diameter of the Duo set (excluding the ears)? The site says the diameter is 6.8 inches. I'm really hoping that includes the ears. If the diameter of the pot itself is a bit smaller...it might all fit.

Thanks!

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
The skillet and plates measure 7 11/16" across the ears, and 6 5/8" across anywhere else along the rim.

The pot measures 7 5/16" across the handle/bail posts, and 6 3/4" across everywhere else along the rim.

Bummer! Well, I guess that means I have to forgo the MSR stuff and get a SP Duo and Micro Oval instead. The two of them will fit in the space. Thanks sir! Now I can tell the wife that my $500.00 cast-iron set is all your fault. :)

Riptide

Explorer
Bummer! Well, I guess that means I have to forgo the MSR stuff and get a SP Duo and Micro Oval instead. The two of them will fit in the space. Thanks sir! Now I can tell the wife that my $500.00 cast-iron set is all your fault. :)

Great choice; I have the Micro Oval too; we really enjoyed it this summer. Such a great size. Make sure you get the pot lifter tongs too; almost a must-have. Or, for a more compact solution, rig up a short piece of steel cable with two loops on the ends.

I keep the oval and the tongs in a canvas tool bag. SP also makes a close-fitting neoprene zippered case for the Oval, available on the Amazon Japan site. I got it to keep the rattles down, but truthfully, a velcro strap would work just as well.

It's a sickness...

Last edited:

motoz

Adventurer
Great choice; I have the Micro Oval too; we really enjoyed it this summer. Such a great size. Make sure you get the pot lifter tongs too; almost a must-have. Or, for a more compact solution, rig up a short piece of steel cable with two loops on the ends.

I keep the oval and the tongs in a canvas tool bag. SP also makes a close-fitting neoprene zippered case for the Oval, available on the Amazon Japan site. I got it to keep the rattles down, but truthfully, a velcro strap would work just as well.

It's a sickness...

Yes I really enjoy cooking with the micro oval also.

b4b9b25220764e96e67b32b7675be83d.jpg

12dc534406df7e7f7dba1ea747f1e00a.jpg

That's a great idea with the cable as a pot lifter. I've got some stainless cable lying around I may give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Yes I really enjoy cooking with the micro oval also.

b4b9b25220764e96e67b32b7675be83d.jpg

12dc534406df7e7f7dba1ea747f1e00a.jpg

That's a great idea with the cable as a pot lifter. I've got some stainless cable lying around I may give it a try.

I have another question for you good folks. After doing some more reading on the Interwebs, it appears that the SP cast iron is coating in heat-resistant silicone. Is this true? I hope not. Was looking forward to seasoning them myself. Information about this is hard to find.

Thanks.

motoz

Adventurer
I have another question for you good folks. After doing some more reading on the Interwebs, it appears that the SP cast iron is coating in heat-resistant silicone. Is this true? I hope not. Was looking forward to seasoning them myself. Information about this is hard to find.

Thanks.

Yes this is true. They come with this coating.

I wasn't sure about it either at the start but it actually is quite good. Don't let it put you off.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Yes this is true. They come with this coating.

I wasn't sure about it either at the start but it actually is quite good. Don't let it put you off.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but this seems to be relevant to Snowpeak. :) How do you wash them with the silicone coating? Do they need to be seasoned (over the silicone)? Is it OK to use chain mail (like traditional cast iron)? I'd love to hear how each of you keep your SP iron in good shape.

motoz

Adventurer
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but this seems to be relevant to Snowpeak. :) How do you wash them with the silicone coating? Do they need to be seasoned (over the silicone)? Is it OK to use chain mail (like traditional cast iron)? I'd love to hear how each of you keep your SP iron in good shape.

To be honest I've cooked roasts, curries and even baked bread in the micro oval. Each time I've just cleaned it with hot water and a little detergent. I've never had anything stick that didn't come off using this method.

As far as ongoing care goes I just get it hot to be sure it's 100% dry and give it a light spray with vegetable oil then wipe over with a paper towel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dcg141

Adventurer
Posted this on the thread about the Camp Chef Mountaineer stove...it will fit on a IGT:chef:. Its kind of a loose fit but I'm going to rivet a piece of 1/2 thick aluminum bar stock along the back and it will be a firmer fit. Gives you a 37 inch cooking height, most home stoves are 36 inches. Also going to size a cutting board to fill that gap.
IMG_0821[1].jpg

Last edited:

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I have decided that I absolutely MUST have a SP CS-510 (22cm dutch oven), but it looks like these were discontinued about 5 years ago. Anybody have an idea of where to find old stock...or buy used SP gear? The current 26cm version won't fit in my allotted space. A real bummer.

I've been looking at International sites with no luck. Thanks.

screwball48

Explorer
I have decided that I absolutely MUST have a SP CS-510 (22cm dutch oven), but it looks like these were discontinued about 5 years ago. Anybody have an idea of where to find old stock...or buy used SP gear? The current 26cm version won't fit in my allotted space. A real bummer.

I've been looking at International sites with no luck. Thanks.

Not sure of the size on this one. Not mine.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/263151917564

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles