Snow Peak Addiction

jtosbo00

Observer
Belated post on my trip to Maine back in June but I always enjoy seeing how others setup their camp so here are a few from me.

Normally it is just my family for camping trip but this last trip brought together 5 families from different parts of the country. My parents brought their trailer camper (they are almost retired). Despite windy and wet weather at the beginning of our week long stay in Maine, the trip was a success and we are already planning for a 6 week trip to the northern Rockies next summer (Badlands, Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton).

84a99290c8f6c988866b3107c0b55b00.jpg

Stopped at LL Bean’s Headquarters in Freeport, ME

640b4124e0290279eadd9bb3cab2e628.jpg

Lots of rain and high winds in the evenings dominated the first 3 days but the SP tarp and tent stood up to the weather very nicely!

77c20b0904cc37dea040fbb0257392da.jpg

My cooler is big and heavy but simply leaving it mounted to the front of the trailer was fine and it was great to have a set behind the IGT Kitchen for easy access!

df7e72d2ecff89307fa2002311b6551a.jpg

a287cba1d18576d1b0ec561a73c17050.jpg

My younger brother gave me his pico projector and I bought a Camp Chef movie screen. Coupled with the Land Lock’s open area, it was a great movie experience for 9 kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Lennart!

Great feedback and much appreciated. Replacing the pairing knife with a filet knife is a great idea and I hear you on the grip. The next generation could have a little bit more "meat" on the handle without compromising the flat-pack nature and minimalism. I'm also contemplating magnetic cutting boards without the need for a tin box. Do you think the cutting boards are too small? The small size is great for packing but personally I prefer something larger when cooking. What do you think?

I do like the set a lot as a travel set. In the box, they are easy to take anywhere, flat and secure.
The bread knife was great for French bread and is a joy to use. Can't fault it.

The chef's knife is of course used most. It slices and dices like it should. Perhaps only when cutting something hard (pushing down with force) I miss a bit more meat on the handle. I rarely use a paring knife but the times that I have, it worked well.

For my cooking the paring knife could be replaced with a filet knife and it would be all I needed (perhaps travel set 2.0 ;) ).

All in all I think it is what it says on the tin, an excellent (and good looking) travel set. Thanks for designing it :)

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Thanks Lennart!

Great feedback and much appreciated. Replacing the pairing knife with a filet knife is a great idea and I hear you on the grip. The next generation could have a little bit more "meat" on the handle without compromising the flat-pack nature and minimalism. I'm also contemplating magnetic cutting boards without the need for a tin box. Do you think the cutting boards are too small? The small size is great for packing but personally I prefer something larger when cooking. What do you think?

Thanks. Ill be standing by for all the above.. :)

Lennart

Adventurer
Thanks Lennart!

I quite like the tin box because this keeps the knives snug and secure. I don't use the cutting boards because I agree I want something a bit larger. For backpacking the size is fine but if I was going lightweight I would probably just take one allround (camping) knife instead of a set.

For the chef's knife adding a bit more meat on the handle would also allow the heel to be less pointy/sharp/thin. It can flow into the blade. I prefer when a chef's knife has only one sharp point (the tip)

A magnetic board sounds interesting but I don't know if it would hold the knives tight enough to do away with the tin box.
Keep us posted :)

Cheers,

Lennart

Chris Boyd

Explorer
well, the REI thing seemed promising, but I guess things haven't really changed. only the Hype and even more frustrated customers.

Come on SnowPeak, get your SH&& together and serve this market!!

Screenshot 2017-08-09 09.52.14.jpg

Lennart

Adventurer
Looking good Motoz!

How did you like using the half grill basket as a chiritori pot?
You dish looks great! Pork belly, bean sprouts, onion, cheese?, red bell pepper, carrot and perhaps some spinach at the bottom?

Hope it turned out great :D

Enjoy!

Lennart

motoz

Adventurer
Looking good Motoz!

How did you like using the half grill basket as a chiritori pot?
You dish looks great! Pork belly, bean sprouts, onion, cheese?, red bell pepper, carrot and perhaps some spinach at the bottom?

Hope it turned out great :D

Enjoy!

Lennart

Hey thanks mate. It was tofu not cheese. Your on the money for the rest though ;)

I used a mild curry broth also.

The pan worked out surprisingly well. It held all the food and took about a litre of broth. It was the right amount for myself, the wife and our two young children.

6417dc1ce483377c7cab65461ead5b36.jpg
b l
fd90deff6256466cbf2bb13fcad068ce.jpg

adafeaf5f99bc3bc01876f1899b85d42.jpg

cc7387a7589af7d12ab0d9ac1cf2d2af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I spoke with John at Expedition exchange. He said he should be getting some more of these in at the end of the month. I snagged his last one...
The Snow Peak site looks like it's starting to carry their goodies again... I added a metric ********-ton of things to the "notify" me list.... it's a start...

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
well, the REI thing seemed promising, but I guess things haven't really changed. only the Hype and even more frustrated customers.

Come on SnowPeak, get your SH&& together and serve this market!!

View attachment 413187

I spoke with John at Expedition exchange. He said he should be getting some more of these in at the end of the month. I snagged his last one...
The Snow Peak site looks like it's starting to carry their goodies again... I added a metric ********-ton of things to the "notify" me list.... it's a start...

chrys

Observer
It's so weird that they seem to have an endless supply of some items, yet others in demand are out of stock for literally years! It's an interesting model that they can get away with since they are so in demand and such good quality... It's almost like even new items are collector's pieces, because you never know if they will produce more. Like the frickin spice bottles, what is the reason to stop those?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles