Help me wire my back up camera.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I just got my back up camera. I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do I am just a bit hazy on some parts.

I want the camera to be always on acting like my rear view mirror, so I am ignoring the green wire and I am not splicing the monitor or camera into wires that aren't always powered.

I'm going to buy one of these from Radio Shack (Not the exact one, but you get the idea) As well as a solder gun, some electrical tape, and some solder.
lighter_plug_assembly.JPG

I'm going to disconnect the negative terminal to my battery. Splice off the end of the cigarette lighter plug wires and connect the hot wire to the red wire on the camera monitor, and the ground wire to the black wire on my camera monitor. Then wrap in electrical tape.

For the camera itself I am not sure where to wire it so it's always on. Can I run the hot and ground wires back to that 12V plug up front and power the camera and monitor off the same 12V plug?

Sorry, not an electrician, here is my stupid picture.

Also, sorry for nuking this thread twice.

ExpoMike

You have the basic idea but make sure your power for both the monitor and camera are on a switched 12 volts source, meaning they turn on when you turn the key on. You don't want them powered all the time as they will put a drain on your battery.

chasespeed

Explorer
Normally, I would say run the system off a relay, that is switched by ACC.... BUT, being a van you will basically be living out of....

Find a source, that is only on when the engine is on.... and wire a relay to THAT.

So, wire battery power to the relay... and the switched side to the camera and monitor. The switch side, will be powered by something only powered when the key is in the ON position......

I would draw a diagram, but, its been a rough week... maybe someone else will take up that task, if not, I will take a crack it this weekend...

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior