Rare Earth Magnets strong enough to mount LED rock lights?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I purchased a set of eight Vision X LED rock light modules. Each module is made of milled aluminum & weigh very little (just a few ounces).
oscthumb.php

I was looking at ways of mounting them and am thinking of using a rare earth magnet (Magcraft 1" diameter Neodymium magnets) bonded to the light using JB Weld.

Do you all think it will be strong enough mounting method?

Obviously the failure points will be the JB weld & magnetic forces -vs- the off road forces exerted on the little light modules.

It was also suggested by the reseller (Sierra Expeditions) to rivet them to aluminum plates and then rivet the aluminum plates to the frame.

I'd rather avoid drilling into the frame if possible so am looking at alternative mounting methods.

TIA.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I've never seen or used the Magcraft magnets -- but I do have some small rare-earth magnets (less than 1") that are strong enough to open my refrigerator door when used as a handle (that is: stick the magnet to the door, then pull on the magnet to open the door, not 'hold the magnet near the door and the magnetic attraction pulls the door open").

I doubt that holding a light weight rock light will be an issue.

Another option you may consider: Use RTV to simply glue the lights to the frame. I've done this in the past when attaching things to body panels (under side of the hood, etc) that I don't want to drill into.

dbreid

Adventurer
Little zip ties will work more than fine. Just "chain" them and trim them. This is exactly how I installed rock lights on my crawler. It lets you do it for CHEAP, and is easy to adjust and see how things fit.

Plus, they aren't gonna be knocked off my a branch, or a bunch of mud, or whatever. But the big benefit for me was the few times I needed to repair my truck in the dirt, at night. I was able to snip the ties, and re-zip them to shine right on my work.

Keep it simple and flexible.

S

Squatchout

Thanks. Will check them out.

Interesting idea but the big zip ties I'd need won't thread through the light assembly. The screw holes are barely 1/8" in diameter.

Get the kind of zip ties that have holes it them for screws.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...Q2-BTfafBITMgQegvrSRCA&sqi=2&ved=0CEEQ8wIwBA#

There are lots of strong magnets with mounting points as well. I've used both at work many times for all kinds of stuff and they both hold well even on vibrating equipment.

mikelite80

Adventurer
KJ Magnetics are a great place. We use some of their mounting magnets to hold a Kelty Car port to the car. Just used a little bolt to attach a small quick fist and good to go. Its amazing what good strong magnets can do! You say magnet and people think of the cheap ones for your fridge, pull out a rare earth and you'll blow there mind!

dbreid

Adventurer
Here's the way I thought about it. If I can pull the rock light off by hand, so can a bush, mud, or a rock. And I doubt anyone is thinking of a magnet strong enough that you cannot remove it my hand. If you did that not only would they be mega-expensive, they'd... well.. be hard to remove.

I have yet to meet a Zip tie that I can break in half with my hands... On second thought... maybe I just need to go to the gym more. ;)

corax

Explorer
Here's the way I thought about it. If I can pull the rock light off by hand, so can a bush, mud, or a rock. And I doubt anyone is thinking of a magnet strong enough that you cannot remove it my hand. If you did that not only would they be mega-expensive, they'd... well.. be hard to remove.

Would a magnet that strong have an effect on a compass near or in the truck? That might be something to consider or look into

off-roader

Expedition Leader

I have yet to meet a Zip tie that I can break in half with my hands... On second thought... maybe I just need to go to the gym more. ;)

I've ripped zip tied stuff off due to rocks hitting it before (skid plates) but it's negligible.

I want the lights to come off if they impact something when I'm rock crawling. This way they aren't as easily damaged on a rock trail. Since they'll be magnetic, I can easily put them back on and not worry about it. Alternatively, I can stick them to the bottom of the body where it's nearly impossible to zip tie them (nothing to tie off of).

off-roader

Expedition Leader
your skid plates are attached with zip ties?

Yup. trail repair when the bolts came loose at some point on the trail.:Wow1:

So I found Magcraft sells Neodymium Magnets (http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/p-25-nsn0604.aspx). Four 1" diameter x .125" magnets cost $10 directly from them. For $20, it would be a simple mounting solution. Will try it out and report back once I've done it.:smiley_drive:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles