Time For a New ADV: Decisions, Decisions

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
On-road 'sport' riding, arguably one of the best virtues of a big GS, the tighter the turns the better.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I dunno Scott. It really depends on what you want to accomplish with it. You know as well as I do that you will be happier with the 1200GS -- right up until you want to climb that long, steep, loose, rutted, rocky, hill. Are you willing to turn the BMW around and go back the way you came in exchange for all the comfort and performance that you gain on the easier trails and roads?

If you are, then you know the answer.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
The million dollar question.
Turning around can be no fun when there is trail ahead. Of course breaking a bike or ones self if also no fun. :sombrero:

Just like every 4x4 is not great for tackling the Rubicon Trail, though most can still be perfect of the other 90% of driving that most want to do.

snip... Are you willing to turn the BMW around and go back the way you came in exchange for all the comfort and performance that you gain on the easier trails and roads?

If you are, then you know the answer.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Could someone easily explain why the discussion is focused on these giant adventure bikes instead of something like a big single that would weigh anywhere from 150 to 300 pounds less?

For example, my Honda XR600R, a '96 which was rebuilt from the frame up in '03, weighs under 300 pounds but has 60 rear wheel horsepower. It'll go as fast on pavement as your tire and gearing choice make prudent, but if you put on a Clarke or IMS tank and 21/18 wheels with dirt rubber, you have a bike that will outperform any of the big bikes discussed here on a trail.

P4261214-resize.jpg

In fact, if you cared to, you could tailor the bike's setup for any particular trip, since the wheel set can, after practice, be swapped in about an hour. And the available luggage is all easily added or removed.

With a bike like a modified XR/XL, it seems that you'd have a ride that would perform in any situation and the success of your trip would be down mostly to your own choices of gearing and wheel and tire size. Am I missing something?

**By the way, if the bike in the picture looks really low for a Big Red Pig, it is . . . the builder was a shorter guy and he had the suspension internally lowered by White Brothers. It's great; the suspension is still ultra compliant (Racetech valves and springs) but it's not scary, tippy, or a PITA to get on and off of, which at five-ten, the big adventure bikes all are for me.

Scott Brady

Founder
I dunno Scott. It really depends on what you want to accomplish with it. You know as well as I do that you will be happier with the 1200GS -- right up until you want to climb that long, steep, loose, rutted, rocky, hill.

You do have a point Brian, and know me well. Remember how long we fought with that log in Oregon.

I really do want a moto that performs better on the road and can manage longer distances more comfortably. The KTM is just brutal in that regard.

Like you have always told me - we need five bikes, minimum :D

Scott Brady

Founder
Could someone easily explain why the discussion is focused on these giant adventure bikes instead of something like a big single that would weigh anywhere from 150 to 300 pounds less?

Mike,

This is a good question and an important part of the discussion. It really comes down to distance traveled. Even when I rode a KTM640 in Panama for a few days straight the vibration and buffeting greatly affected fatigue. On the Trans-America Trail with Brian none of these things were an issue as it was 90%+ dirt. Riding a 640 SXC was similarly torturous. Brian's F800 is nice on the road with a smooth motor. My KTM it hard to ride more than 200 miles a day of pavement with high vibrations and lots of buffeting. It is much better than the smaller thumpers, but still exhausting when compared to a 1200GSA.

Short trips and lots of dirt, get a small bike with lots of suspension travel and a 21" front wheel. I want to do some longer trips with Stephanie two-up and do more exploration or even a Asian overland trip on a bigger bike. That typically leaves the 1200 at the top of the heap, even with its limitations.

So, maybe this thread needs to be about the FIVE bikes I need to buy. Lets see:

1. BMW 1200 GSA
2. Triumph Scrambler
3. Royal Enfield
4. KTM 530
5. Zero DS

Yep, that should do it :D

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
This probably doesn't directly answer your question, but since I have no firsthand experience with ANY of the listed bikes, take it for what it's worth (not much).

But if I was keeping a (relatively) smaller DS bike like you are, I would want my other bike shifted distinctly toward the the street. I imagine that would favor the Super Tenere, although the Big BMW would qualify too.

But since it sounds like you really want the BMW, you had better just get it. You know how it is with motorcycles - you need to go with your heart, not your head. Otherwise, you'll be in a boring relationship always longing for that mistress with the shapely rondelles.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Snip......

But since it sounds like you really want the BMW, you had better just get it. You know how it is with motorcycles - you need to go with your heart, not your head. Otherwise, you'll be in a boring relationship always longing for that mistress with the shapely rondelles.

Nice analogy.

With your desire to ride two-up the 1200GS seems a great tool. My 1150 is a great two-up traveler, though a little tall for some passengers to reach. I don't see Stephanie having that problem.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Short trips and lots of dirt, get a small bike with lots of suspension travel and a 21" front wheel. I want to do some longer trips with Stephanie two-up and do more exploration or even a Asian overland trip on a bigger bike. That typically leaves the 1200 at the top of the heap, even with its limitations.

Well, no practicality to two up on an XR/XL, but I've got a feeling that my XR is a good deal smoother than the legendary paint-shaker KTM singles. And with the 50% wider Corbin seat I just added, I wouldn't worry about a couple hundred mile trip. (Which, of course, isn't to say that a GS1200 isn't still an order of magnitude more cushy.)

So, maybe this thread needs to be about the FIVE bikes I need to buy. Lets see:

1. BMW 1200 GSA
2. Triumph Scrambler
3. Royal Enfield
4. KTM 530
5. Zero DS

Yep, that should do it :D
Heck, if we're talking theoretical (we are, aren't we? ;) ), you might as well replace the KTM 530 with the KTM 450 Rally Replica:

KTMDakarreplica.jpg

Hardly weighs anything until you add the near 10 gallons of fuel and maybe the 38+ inch seat height is workable. Of course, there's the $30K or so price tag . . . :(

I have not ridden the Super Tenere, but it would be at the top of my list for the big adventure bikes. Spec wise, it has more of what I'd want than the GS. I like that it is slight more dirt oriented than the GS, but less so than the KTM.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Marc,

How do you like the xchallenge?

I can honestly say I've had no regrets whatsoever. Compared to what I had (DRZ) and what I was going to get (DR650), it's all that but better. I wanted a lightweight DS bike I could take on weekend camping trips or maybe even a week or so. I wasn't too concerned about having a woods bike, but wanted a bike that could reach a remote camping spot if needed and do well on the highway. A DR650 would have been a great choice (especially given my 5'8" height). But for very little additional money I save weight, get EFI, and get several more HP. And it's also a somewhat uncommon bike. No complaints here!

I am looking for an additional bike geared a bit more toward the street (TDM, K75, Bonneville/TBird, ???), but whatever I do I will be keeping the X for sure. It really covers a wide range of uses very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz