Time For a New ADV: Decisions, Decisions

trailsurfer

Explorer
I'd say stick with orange and go 690 or 990. the 690 is very smooth for a single. The 990 has loads of torque and isn't a big old hog like the 1200 is. Depends how much road/fire roads/dirt roads/off road you will be doing.

I'd rather have a smaller bike on the scenic route.

As I can personally attest, having an Orange in the stable, 530 EXC, and a 1200GSA is a great combo. You can pretty much cover it all, while having a ton of fun.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Here is a pretty sweet video covering some of them and the new Tenere.

My vote of all of the bikes would actually be the 950, followed by the 990 (I actually prefer the carb due to uber-reliability). I have plenty of time on the 1200GS. The video covers the approach with the 1200 that I was never able to have confidence in and doing and strikes points for the 1200:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5d-nX4Q66A"]YouTube - R 1200 GS vs Super Tenere - ADB & Riemann go outback[/ame]

I have the 650 for now and I love it. Modified to do everything well while having one bike, I am missing the room for the wife and for single track. Long term plan assuming I ever get to this point (increasingly lots of hobbies and less and less time), and in order of priorities:

- Good all purpose 650 or 690
- 400 or 450 or 530 for longer. Key point though is a 530/525/520 is really just a slightly bigger engine on a 450, same weight, so it's basically a 450 with all of the squirrliness. I want one, but as a second bike.
- 950 or perhaps a 1200 dialect.

To the original point, there is no such thing as a compromise bike.

My friends are evolving from 650ish to 950s because they are capable. I would never ever imagine the 1200, just a different style for a different area.

And finally a 1200 tenere is very very low on any of my lists as of right now. Just too heavy.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
My 950 is clearly a better bike overall in the dirt, but it needs to be ridden fast, which leaves me so far ahead of the BMWs that I wait for minutes at each stop.

Hey! I remember having to stop and wait for you to fill up when I'm only 1/2 tank down! :elkgrin:

On the road, of course!

-H-

Scott Brady

Founder
The DR650 and the KTM950 are now sold - time to kick this search in high gear. The weather in Prescott is getting NICE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles