Cross Country on a Sport Bike

michel

Observer
Rode a ninja 900 from BC to northern quebec and back one summer. Nothing is needed, but a few bungees and a duffel.
Best way to get in shape for riding is to simply ride. Best route for me is whatever i feel like at the time, so planning doesen't work. i usualy buy a local map when i get gas in a new state, look at the lines and pick one that feels right. all depends on weather, day or night, fast or curvy, scenic cool stuff so many choices.
Sounds like you'l have great trip, just don't sweat the small stuff, get the bike tuned, new rubber that will last at least the drive your doing and go.

Now when I rode the ducati 2 up with my wife a few thousand miles in a couple weeks that was another thing.

michel

turbophil

I used to sport tour a 99 zx6r and then a 2000 zx9r, I made several trips from Vancouver BC to California, Montana, Idaho, Nevada etc... all of the NW-Central states.

I loved my double bubble windscreen and throttle rocker, I would adjust it so that all I had to do is rest my wrist on it. The other thing I used was a taller tank bag so I could relax on it a bit on the long boring stretches. Music goes a long way.

A mix of camping and hotels was good, keeps the cost down. When we camped, we would pick up that nights meal (and beer) before setting camp. Bungees held firewood for the nights fire.

I used soft bags and made an aluminum rack to keeps the bags of the body work. Michelin Pilots were my friend as I loved to carve the wonderful Redwood Forest and small highways the U.S has to offer!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Martin made some great suggestions.. . to say great shape means to be able to do a couple hundred sit ups five times a day and run 5 miles! As a kid I was a nationally ranked cyclist, this was all before triathlons were popular. Swimming is great for cross training. Swim, run and work on the core that works the back. Knock out 100 push ups without a sweat. Do that and you'll be ready in about 10 to 12 weeks. I still have my bivey bag. Would love todo it now, but LOL, I'm lucky to do 200 miles in a day. :bike_rider:

dirtysouth

Adventurer
I know this does not fit the usual profile of bikes on this forum. But has anyone ever gone cross country on a sport bike on here?

I have some questions

- How would you do it?

• Would you stick to back roads, possibly some well known driving roads?
  • Would you stick to the highway?
  • Would you do some sort of hybrid trip? Avoiding the boring areas on the highway, and then go on backroads when worth it?

- What modifications would you make to the bike for long distance?

• Any suggestions for tires?
  • I would not run panniers, instead I would use my NF Base camp bags, they go on great. However, and suggestions for a tank bag? I saw a solar one, any experience?
  • Anyone ride a sport bike long distance on here that could give a suggestion as to a different seat?

I´m not worried too much about the comfort. This bike is alot more comfortable than my Ducati, and especially my previous Hardtail Bobber.

There's only one way to do it, and that's to do it. I took a SV across country and back in 06 and had a blast. We stayed off the interstate unless we had to make up some time. Depending on how much time you have to make the trip, will determine on whether or not you can take secondary roads or not. Below is my recommendations.

If I had to do the trip again, I wouldn't waste any time getting from the East Coast to the good stuff. We wasted 4 days by going south and then snaking our way over to where the scenery got good in NM. IMHO, figure out where the good stuff starts on your route, and take the big roads to get there as quickly as possible. The more time you take to getting to the good stuff, the more expense you will have by staying in motels, eating, fuel, etc...

A lot of people think that sport bikes are uncomfortable, but IMHO I found them to be more comfortable than upright bikes on trips. They can be brutal in town because your wrists take all your weight, but on the open road the wind provides enough lift to keep the weight off your wrists, and in the twisties, your core provides the support. A magnetic tank bag that you can lean on while on the open road will do your body wonders as well.

I put a Suzuki gel-seat on the SV. It raised the seat height 1" or so, which in turn gave me a little more leg room. If you plan on buying an aftermarket seat, I would suggest a Sargent over a Corbin, but either one will be better than stock for sure. I am also a firm believer in a sheepskin seat pad. It doesn't look like much but may be what you need to get you through the day. Obviously you want to stay away from cotton undies as well, as they hold moisture and will bunch up on you, but I am sure you already know this. I also recommend Dri-Glide, especially in the summer, you can thank me later.

I put a touring screen on the SV, which was a little taller than stock and had a small lip on it to direct the air up a little higher which helped on the interstate for sure. A double bubble should do the same thing on the Ninja.

I would recommend either a sport touring tire, or atleast new tires before leaving out. I had 2400 miles or so on my tires when I left out and thought I would be fine, but ended up having to stop for the night in OK on my return trip, which I didn't want to do, because the wires were showing on my rear tire. Luckily I was able to get into a dealership that worked me in the next day, but I would've rather not had to spend the extra money for a room and dealership prices on the tire.

Below is a link to my ride report that I did. I am hoping to somewhat hit some of the same areas next year, but this time with the family in my truck.

Cross Country 2007

esjinslc

Go to canyonchasers.net and take a look at some of the older ride reports. They have a TLR, Super Hawk, Super Sport and a 919.

D

Deleted member 9101

Go to canyonchasers.net and take a look at some of the older ride reports. They have a TLR, Super Hawk, Super Sport and a 919.

I am a big fan of the 919 for obvious reasons....lol.

JayBlack

I just rode from phila pa to Orlando in two days on a 2003 rc51 with a jardine exhaust .. I used a back pack tied down to the back and ups shipped my clothing to the hotel at my final destination . Bike has a Corbin seat and heli bars , I am 41 and weigh 245lb , I had no problem, I did phila pa to South Carolina , Rhode Island, Indiana for the moto GP etc , I never had any special stuff .

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Just ride the stupid thing. Pick a route and some places you want to see and determine how long you have and how much money you have.

Don't modify it, waste of time and money. The 636 is a track bike and putting lipstick on a pig is just stupid IMO. Could you have a more comfy bike? Yes. Should you care? No. Stay in hotels, pack some essentials in cheapo tank and tail bag and just go after you've figured out your logistics.

Shoot, in a direct way, it's only like 1500 miles isn't it? Hell, I did 2k down to Baja and back in 4 days. Granted that was in the dirt and on a GS1200 Adventure, but my point is, don't over plan it outside of the logistics of time and money like I mentioned. Just go ride and have fun.

And dude, if you rode 200 miles and were worn out, you are truly worthless and weak. I used to do that before lunch back in my sprotbile days on most all PROPER twisty roads (yes, we have plenty here in Kalifornistan). Now, that is just over a half a tank of fuel. Man up.

lonestrom

Adventurer
He'll ,there's a guy that went around the world on a R1 !!.He went thru deserts,frozen tundra,jungles etc!!.My wife has done back to back 500+ mile days on a sportbike.If you can only do 200 miles a day then just do 200 miles a day.. Pretty simple. !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94