Cross Country on a Sport Bike

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I know this does not fit the usual profile of bikes on this forum. But has anyone ever gone cross country on a sport bike on here?

I just traded in my 80 series for a low mileage 2006 Kawasaki ZX6-R 636. I was mounting some of my North Face Duffels to the bike today, and thought to myself, why not go across the country?

I´ll most likely be living in Palm Desert this summer, and originally planned to ship the bike there, but I have been thinking, why not ride it from outside of Chicago where I live?

I have some questions

- How would you do it?

• Would you stick to back roads, possibly some well known driving roads?
  • Would you stick to the highway?
  • Would you do some sort of hybrid trip? Avoiding the boring areas on the highway, and then go on backroads when worth it?

- What modifications would you make to the bike for long distance?

• Any suggestions for tires?
  • I would not run panniers, instead I would use my NF Base camp bags, they go on great. However, and suggestions for a tank bag? I saw a solar one, any experience?
  • Anyone ride a sport bike long distance on here that could give a suggestion as to a different seat?

I´m not worried too much about the comfort. This bike is alot more comfortable than my Ducati, and especially my previous Hardtail Bobber.

D

Deleted member 9101

Get bar end risers
An aftermarket seat woudl be more comfortable
A throttle lock is worth its weight in gold
A wrist wrest is a good toy
A 12V plug is nice to charge the phone, IPOD, and run a GPS or radar detector.

I rode my 04 CB 900 from Tallahassee Fl to Alamogordo Nm.... its fun. I stick to highways and avoid the interstate most times.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I´ll have to look into a wrist rest, I´m not a big fan of the throttle lock, I have one on my ducati and it always made me nervous.

dcabcody

That bike would make a pretty nice sporty touring bike. I put 30k on a 00 triumph daytona 955i and enjoyed every mile. A nice tailpack was all I needed.

An aftermarket saddle is nice but you might want to knockout a 250-300 mile day and see how you feel. I ran a corbin on my daytona and a sargents on my r1100s BMW. Both were high quality upgrades. I also always felt the wind blast on sportbikes helps lift the body and take pressure off the wrist. If you find the ducati riding position acceptable then the Kawi will be pure comfort anyways.

Take the backroads too. If you have limited time then incorporate some stretches of interstate to keep you on schedule. I've found good 2 lanes roads everywhere I've ridden including Kansas. :Wow1: I'd limit the dirt to small stretches, construction or looking for camp spots if you decide go that route.

As for tires I've ran Metz z6's and Continental roadattacks back in the day. Most companies are making dual compound tires for that bike. Tour in the middle and sport on the edges.

Have fun!

D

Deleted member 9101

As for tires I've ran Metz z6's and Continental roadattacks back in the day. Most companies are making dual compound tires for that bike. Tour in the middle and sport on the edges.

Have fun!

I run Michelin Pilots and absolutely love them... from track days at Jennings GP to riding to school.. they are nothing short of awesome.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'll echo the bar risers, most motorcycle shops should be able to get those for you.

The only other thing I'd say is that you really need to 'train up' like you would for an athletic event. Have you ridden long distances before? Riding a motorcycle is physically exhausting in a way that driving a car is not. You don't want to be 2 days into a 4 day ride and realize that distance riding isn't for you. If you're in pain or discomfort you will not be able to devote your full attention to the road.

You have to stay hydrated, watch your food intake, and plan for a realistic number of miles each day. If it were me, I'd take 2 lane roads all the way but I don't know what your time limits are. Will you be camping out? If so you need to factor in the gear you will have to carry. Honestly, when I go long distances on a bike I prefer to stay in a motel, even if it's a cheap one. The ability to soak up the AC after a long day in the hot sun, and the ability to sleep in a real bed will keep you from feeling too fatigued. Staying in a motel also means you can ride longer because you don't have to factor in the time to find a campsite and set up camp, ditto for breaking camp in the morning.

You also have to have a plan for bad weather. Spring/early summer can bring extremely violent thunderstorms to the high plains. I've been in storms where the rain was falling so heavy and the wind blowing so hard I had to pull to the side of the road to wait it out - and that was in my car! Some of the midwest/plains storms will spawn tornadoes.

If you go to the Iron Butt association website they have a lot of good tips for distance riders.

ExploringNH

Explorer
I took an Aprilia Mille cross country. I think it took 2-3 months, roughly 500 mile days. The one rule for the trip was no highways. I got nervous about gas a few times, but never ran out. I think I was running Metzelers of some sort at the time, nothing unusual. Keep tools to adjust your chain and make sure your sprockets are good before leaving.

I took the trip bone stock, but a throttle lock would have been awesome. A tank bag with a top window is nice.

People get caught up on the gear a lot. It isnt the gear that makes the trip. The trip makes the trip. Take what you have and you will have a great time.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Martin - I agree, I´d rather stay in hotels, especially on a sport bike. Usually you get get hotels off highways for under $40 a night, sometimes less.

How does everyone deal with bike security? I have seen disk brake locks with alarms, that looks effective, but any other ideas?

D

Deleted member 9101

Martin - I agree, I´d rather stay in hotels, especially on a sport bike. Usually you get get hotels off highways for under $40 a night, sometimes less.

How does everyone deal with bike security? I have seen disk brake locks with alarms, that looks effective, but any other ideas?

If I can, I ride mine into the hotel room, if not I lock it to something.

ExploringNH

Explorer

I did about 50/50 camping/motels. Most places I just wheeled my bike into the room with me. When that wasn't an option, I tried to keep it close and make it hard to get to.

A comfortable mattress is hard to beat after a long day on a bike.

D

Deleted member 9101

I did about 50/50 camping/motels. Most places I just wheeled my bike into the room with me. When that wasn't an option, I tried to keep it close and make it hard to get to.

A comfortable mattress is hard to beat after a long day on a bike.

Don't forget the hot shower... they are priceless

Patman

Explorer
Bar End Risers
A double bubble or touring windscreen
a comfy seat
A low pro tank bag, with a good map pocket for your IPOD and your Cell/GPS
Good, form fitting earbuds/bluetooth setup in your helmet is great for long trips too.
a couple charging ports wired in.
Good touring suit, Aerostitch, Olympia, etc

And if you're not in great shape, try to be by the time you go.

Definitely avoid the freeways, and hit up all the great roads.

My first "long" trip on a sport bike was San Jose to Vegas and back in one day on my bone stock 91 ZX7R, then I recovered for 3 days, but what a great memory.

I think the 500 a day would be about right. Take a map, mark off the great roads and connect the dots. Spend an extra day or two in the "great" areas.

I would love to take a ZX10, start at Alices on Skyline, and end at to top of the Dragon, I think the trip would be EPIC.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I went for my first 200 mile ride yesterday. I think that I´m legitimately going to need to start working out, even at 21 years old for this trip. I am thinking mountain biking could be good cross training.

D

Deleted member 9101

I went for my first 200 mile ride yesterday. I think that I´m legitimately going to need to start working out, even at 21 years old for this trip. I am thinking mountain biking could be good cross training.

Be sure to do plenty of "core" exercises.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles