Rango.....1942 Willys MB

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
That is my friends FSJ. It was an .gov rig....it was originally a panel too, but the SAR that bought it at auction cut the sides.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I picked up another piece of the puzzle today.

IMAGE_165.jpg

Its a D20 transfer case. I will be using the case as a pattern for some parts I am building for the new frame. The D20 case is basically a stronger version of the D18 case. All the D20 cases have the larger 1.25" intermediate shaft. This will come in handy later if I want to run the Tera 3.15 low gearset. I also have an idea about adapting the SM420 with a short adapter to some 10-spline D18 overdrive parts ( since the SM420 uses a slightly larger 1.375" (?) 10 spline shaft )

I'm going to rip it apart tomorrow so I can model the case. I hope to make this information available in some CAD files or something. I am surprised that this information is not more common these days. I know these parts are older, but you would have thought someone would have posted an old blueprint or something?

Anyways, more soon.

bldeagle10

Explorer
that would be pretty sweet if there was a site you could go and build a virtual jeep to see where you would run into problems when actually doing it. alot of time and money to make a site like that though..

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Someone asked me how a 1942 Willys MB could be an expedition vehicle.....

My reply was, It's basically a four wheel two person version of an expedition motorcycle. No top, no doors, no heater, more fun? I guess I am going back to the roots of what expedition travel is about for me. I like being immersed in the environment. Your really out there connected to everything as you travel through it. Its amazing how much more I get out of a trip when I am so connected to everything around me. We did a 4th of July 'mini-expedition' along the Lochsa River in montana back a few years back. It was AMAZING how much more I was able to see with the top off, no doors, etc. I really felt like I was part of the road I guess. We felt the sun, the temperature change going into and out of the shade, and you could even hear the river.

Now, even a 4 day trip covering 700 miles in a 1942 Willys is considered an expedition in my opinion. Covering that much ground in those old seats will tame anyone! I am really looking forward to getting it back on the road around the southwest!

bldeagle10

Explorer
alot of people use them for nostalgic expeditions as well. following very dangerous tough drives that the military did over in europe and out in the deserts and such. it would be amazing to take one out for an expedition. one thing i thought about that i saw a land rover guy doing that ive been thinking about. if you want your frame to last a long time why dont you get it galvanized?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
That is not a bad idea at all...

I have to wonder about modding the frame in the future if you change your mind on something. Same goes for having it powder coated I guess.

The original lasted 70 years or so.....I won't be kicking past that :) Here is the southwest we are pretty lucky with the rust thing.

jeffy

Observer
Looks like an interesting project. I'd probably paint it with POR15 or Hammerite so it's easy to touch up and can be removed if you want to change something. I'd love to have an old GPW or MB. I remember reading the MB thread on POR. It was an impressive build. I also like the 'Mad Brit' which is mentioned in that thread as well.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Yup, another reason I am building mine....very inspirational vid!

If you not stuck on getting an original the frame is pretty easy to make and the aftermarket tubs are pretty cheap. Everyone needs an old flatfender :)

I just got done tearing apart the Dana 20. Its nice to know you can take apart your t-case with just a few tools......

1/2" end wrench
9/16" end wrench
1 1/8" thin socket ( for the pinion yokes )
ball peen hammer
3/16" allen wrench ( for the shift forks )

That is about all you need to get it apart. The only thing that gave me a headache was the little allen set screws on the shift rails. Those things where VERY tight and a total pain to get to inside the case.

The good news is that the 1.25" intermediate shaft was in PERFECT shape with zero slop on the shaft, bearings, and thrust bushings. I will probably reuse it when I use the case for the upgrade. That saves a little coin.

I will clean up the case soon and start measuring for the 3D model. I hope I can at least get the front and rear bolt patterns done. That way people can at least have a chance to make there own adapters, cross members, and such.

One other tip: The closed end of the 1/2" end wrench fits over the teeth of the low range gears to allow you to 'lock' the t-case in order to get the drive shaft yoke nuts off with very little fuss. While not the super ideal way to do this....it does work in a pinch.

wely

Observer
I also love the way old jeeps are so easily worked on. I have heard stories of people field fixing a jeep with wooden pistons and water bottle gas tanks.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Yup! While I am tempted to do things like fuel injection, I always come back to the fact that keeping things SIMPLE is almost always better. I do like the HEI ignition. While it is basically a small computer, I carry a spare module, coil, plug, and a wire or two.

I'm going to try and keep it pretty basic....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior